Pattern instructions

Vicki Higgins

Question

Can you please explain below. I don't understand "space" and then skip 2 ch1 spaces. 

Thank you

Row 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in ch 3 space, ch 2, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Picot in next ch 1 space, ch 2, *skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Shell in next ch 3 space, ch 2, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Picot in next ch 1 space, ch 2, repeat from * across to last 3 spaces, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, 2 dc in last ch 3 space, dc in last sc, turn.

7 answers to this question

To: Vikki Higgins

First, welcome to Crochetville!  Next, you posted in an area where we can't reply.  The topic "Support Crochetville" is for posts that do things to support the forum.  What you want is General Crochet Help.  I'm reposting this for you.

Here's what you posted:

Can you please explain below. I don't understand "space" and then skip 2 ch1 spaces. 

Thank you

Row 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in ch 3 space, ch 2, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Picot in next ch 1 space, ch 2, *skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Shell in next ch 3 space, ch 2, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Picot in next ch 1 space, ch 2, repeat from * across to last 3 spaces, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, 2 dc in last ch 3 space, dc in last sc, turn.

Here's my response:

It helps to know what you're making.  Do you have a link to where you got the pattern?  If not, what's the name of the pattern, name of the book/magazine, date (magazine only), and anything else that would help us find it.

Crochet chains have multiple purposes.  For example, you crochet a lot of chains before row 1 for the purpose of a foundation.  Another purpose is to start a new row.  Chaining gets you to the correct height for the first stitch.  It's called the "turning chain," because you both turn your work and chain at the beginning of a row.  There are several other purposes.

Another purpose is to create a space.  This is the one you're asking about.  Every time you chain in a row and skip stitches under the chain, you create a space.  If you chain 1 and skip 1, it's called a chain 1 space (aka, ch-1 sp.) If you chain 2 and skip 2, it's called a chain 2 space. And so on.  When a pattern says to crochet into a space, like 2 dc in ch 3 space, it means that on the previous row you did a chain 3.  Insert your hook in the space under the chains to do your dc stitches.  Skip 2 ch 1 spaces means that on the previous row you did a chain 1, stitch(es), chain 1 combination.  Each chain 1 created a ch 1 space.  Skip over a ch 1 space, the stitch, the next ch 1 space, the next stitch and do a picot in the third ch 1 space.

I hope this helps!  Let us know if this makes sense of if you're still confused.

Sharon, I've moved her topic to the correct area, so I'm going to merge this thread into the original one.

It's better if we move topics that are in the wrong place to the correct place. If anyone ever notices something in the wrong place, just use the report button and let us know about the problem. We'll Mbe happy to move a discussion topic to the right location.

10 hours ago, redrosesdz said:

To: Vikki Higgins

First, welcome to Crochetville!  Next, you posted in an area where we can't reply.  The topic "Support Crochetville" is for posts that do things to support the forum.  What you want is General Crochet Help.  I'm reposting this for you.

Here's what you posted:

Thank you

Here's my response:

It helps to know what you're making.  Do you have a link to where you got the pattern?  If not, what's the name of the pattern, name of the book/magazine, date (magazine only), and anything else that would help us find it.

Crochet chains have multiple purposes.  For example, you crochet a lot of chains before row 1 for the purpose of a foundation.  Another purpose is to start a new row.  Chaining gets you to the correct height for the first stitch.  It's called the "turning chain," because you both turn your work and chain at the beginning of a row.  There are several other purposes.

Another purpose is to create a space.  This is the one you're asking about.  Every time you chain in a row and skip stitches under the chain, you create a space.  If you chain 1 and skip 1, it's called a chain 1 space (aka, ch-1 sp.) If you chain 2 and skip 2, it's called a chain 2 space. And so on.  When a pattern says to crochet into a space, like 2 dc in ch 3 space, it means that on the previous row you did a chain 3.  Insert your hook in the space under the chains to do your dc stitches.  Skip 2 ch 1 spaces means that on the previous row you did a chain 1, stitch(es), chain 1 combination.  Each chain 1 created a ch 1 space.  Skip over a ch 1 space, the stitch, the next ch 1 space, the next stitch and do a picot in the third ch 1 space.

I hope this helps!  Let us know if this makes sense of if you're still confused.

Here is the pattern I am using and thank you for your help

https://www.allfreecrochet.com/Crochet-Afghan-Patterns/Luscious-Lace-Crochet-Blanket

Redrosesdz, when you said "there's no report button" I looked and looked and couldn't find it either, until I did a search (ctrl+f) on the word 'report' and discovered where it's hiding.

"Report post" is greyed out so much on my monitor, it's nearly invisible until you mouse over the post.  It's right after 'posted x hours ago'.  I don't recall now if it was like that before, or maybe the grey wasn't so light.

Vicki, welcome to the ville! :hook

now that you've linked the pattern.....in row 1 when you do the "sc in 2nd ch from hook, ch 3, sc in next ch" the chain 3 creates a space.  illustration of a chain space and how to stitch into it http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/crochet-in-the-chain-space

The "Report Post" link is grayed out, but if you click within a specific post to select it, the link will turn blue. At least, that's what happens on my iPad.

Archived