Hello from Southampton UK

It was lovely to come across this online crochet community (can't believe how excited I felt! ha ha sign of a crochet addict) I'm a mum of 5, late 40s, ex teacher and relatively new to crochet. My mum used to crochet and tried to teach me as a teenager but I just couldn't do it so used to knit instead. Every summer holiday for about the last five years I've made it my mission to teach myself to crochet but failed every time. Then last year I was quite ill and off work so bought a few books, some yarn and a few different sized hooks and started to practice stitches. Maybe the time was right and it just clicked - I could crochet!

But the best bit has been the hubby and kids asking (at one point almost fighting amongst each other as to who would get the hand warmers - dad got them) me to make something - I felt as if I was a useful mum for once. I've made them all hats, scarves, wrist warmers and gloves. For myself I've made cowls, neckwarmers and scarves from motifs. Naturally there is the ongoing granny square blanket project and I'm half way through my first granny jumper.

I'm totally addicted and have several more projects on going as well as practising motifs with my left over yarn. I've just started trying to make my own designs and am trying to make a summer shawl using a floral trellis pattern though I'm not quite sure how it will turn out but I'm enjoying the challenge of the floral trellis pattern.

I was an avid paper crafter before I found crochet and though I enjoyed paper crafting I did not get the level of satisfaction as I do from crochet. I also find it relaxes me though I do get withdrawal symptoms if I don't crochet.

It's really lovely to find an online community and I hope to spend a happy few hours reading the posts and feeling inspired, I have attached a few pics of recent projects.

Thanks for letting me join Crochetville

Karen

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5926.jpg

Hi all thanks for the friendly welcome. I bought the yarn to finish the jumper and the floral trellis shawl yesterday. This is a good sign as it means I actually will finish them instead of just sticking them in a plastic box and starting something new. I have too many projects on the go now that I have decided to get things finished now before starting anything new.

Husband is out at work for a bit I've got housework to do but think a bit of crochet first won't hurt!

Archived