AnnieTess

Help with crochet amigurumi pattern

Question

Hi. I need help with a pattern directions.  It states 12 sc in Magic Ring, join 9 sc, 3 sc are for the toes.Can anyone help me with this?

9 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

What you have is instructions and the stitch count. 

Make an adjustable ring. Do 12 sc in the ring. Join with a slip stitch to the first sc. The stitch count is 9 sc + 3 sc for toes.

If you're struggling with round 1, I'm guessing that you're new to amigurumi. The pattern looks advanced. It assumes you know to chain 1 before making the 12 sc. I strongly suggest googling amigurumi tips. (Normally I'd give links, but I'm on my phone and I'm not good with it.) Also, Google beginner amigurumi pattern. Use one of those as practice. 

Let us know how it goes!

I hope you figured it out.  If not, let us know the name of the pattern and who it is designed by.  Maybe someone on here has made it and is very familiar with the pattern.  

I agree that if you could give us the name of the pattern (if it's a purchased pattern, a link so we can see what the toes look like if not further instructions).

It's a very unusual instruction.  It almost sounds like you are going to skip 3 stitches and come back to them later, in which case it would have been more clear if it said something like 'join in the 4th sc of the round, leaving the first 3 sc unworked for the toes'.  However, I'm totally guessing without more info.

It's always a good idea to read through a pattern to see if the construction makes sense.  Does it say anything latter about completing the toes?

• Like 1

^GS made some great points that I didn't even consider.  Normally, if it says join at the end of a round, it's to close the circle by joining to the first stitch and any other verbiage is stitch counts.  However, it may be a join to the 4th stitch, which would make the circle fold and 3 stitches stick out. 

Did you type it exactly as it is written ... without any punctuation between the word "join" and the 9 sc?  It's very poorly written.  If round 1 is that poorly written, read through the rest of the pattern.  It may be difficult (close to impossible) to follow.

Note to self: Stop answering forum posts in the middle of the night! smh

LOL Redrosesdz, I know you are 3 time zones ahead of me,  often I see your posts from way after my bedtime and I often wonder if you ever sleep!

That 'join 9 sc' is just really odd and unclear.  The only things that made sense to me is 'join so you will be working into 9 sc in the next round' or possibly 'join (gather) the 9 sc together', which made less sense unless the legs are just chains after that point...hmm, then the  3 unworked stitches might just look sort of like toes in that case, but it's still odd...

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

On 2017-05-23 at 8:12 PM, AnnieTess said:

Hi. I need help with a pattern directions.  It states 12 sc in Magic Ring, join 9 sc, 3 sc are for the toes.Can anyone help me with this?

Oddly enough I'm getting email notifications recently and I saw this. Are you still working through it? I can either draw you a diagram or a photo step-by-step guide if you're still struggling.

Cheers,

Is this it?

pug

• Like 1

Wow, Sarisue!  I am super impressed!

If that is it, it has the instruction as the OP wrote for the hind legs...

Rnd 1: 12 sc in a magic ring, join 9 sc, 3 sc are for the toes.

The pic shows the join to the 4th sc.  3 sc stick out and are unworked.  Just like Granny Square said.  :)

Well done finding that pattern!  That toy is hilarious.

Crochet it so versatile in the way your can wrangle stitches to get the look you want, it never would have occurred to me to try to make toes that way (that's why I'm not a designer....)