Can you help me to identify this stitch

suerock

Question

Good Day

I am translating this shawl into a pattern.  I have gotten through the first two rows (from the inside out) but can't identify what the pattern is for the bottom two petals of the flower.

I would love your help with this :)

The part that is unclear to me is how the petals attach to the row below.....

post-79829-0-49553200-1494180521_thumb.jpgpost-79829-0-16568300-1494180539_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!

thats a very pretty motif!  I think the petal is done sideways.  you make the cluster around the post of the preceding stitch so it forms a sort of stem for the petal.   

They look like the top half of Cluny lace daisies.  Basically, it's a 3-4 stitch cluster (DTR or taller, US terms), chain x to move to the tip of the next petal, another cluster in the same spot, repeat until you have in this case 5 petals. I've made a Cluny lace doily with this feature, but can't lay my hands on the pattern now, so I remember it in general but not the exact details.

Looking at the petals around the motif centers, it looks like the center probably had tall picots every 4th stitch.  From picot #1, make a cluster into the next picot (picot#2) , *chain x, make another cluster into the picot#2 until you have 4 petals; chain x, slip stitch into the next picot (picot#3), make the 5th cluster into picot#2.  From this point, you will be starting the next flower into picot#4....and so on.

Here's a site with some antique Cluny patterns (do a search on Cluny, it comes up in 14 of these books).  Terms are a little different (I notice p is understood to be picot in the first book), and may be UK terms even for US publications because US terms came later than most of these patterns.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/crochet.htm

edited to add, so some of the stitches are (sort of) made sideways, but more in the way that they are in a large stitch count shell stitch--the first stitch in that shell is sort of laying on it's back with it's toes in the center, and the last stitch is laying face down, toes in the center.

You all are TERRIFIC!  PICOT of course! - and a tutorial also!

Thank you greatly - I am going to review all the information you shared - 

You have made my life a treat - thank you thank you <3

I tried it and I did the first rnd of clusters  sideways and then the next rnd for the 3 other petals. This is just for how the petals are done, but the motif has a dc in between. I am doing that now. The picture isn't good though as I have a sore finger from a dogs tooth.

edit remove picture right one later on.

Ow, sorry about your dog bite!

I think you are on to something with the dc in between flowers, versus a picot between.

I just did this up quickly; the picots were chain 6, slip stitch in the 5th & 6th chain from the hook, as well as into the top of the DC.  Stitches are DTR clusters (yarnover 3 times).   3 chains between petals.   I turned 3 after the DC round to stand in for a picot.

I think the picot for the 'stem' works great, because it makes a little loop to work into which looks a little sturdier than the original, IMO.  But, it is visually (maybe) a tad shorter than the original (this might depend one's tension).  Maybe chain 7, slst into the 5th, 6th, 7th chain from hook and into the DC.

But, the same picot for between the flowers is (to me) to big, I agree a DC would look better--so the picot I described every 8th DC on the last round of the center circle, and DC between the flowers on the next round.

post-13625-0-85993900-1494262119_thumb.jpg

post-13625-0-13737400-1494262342_thumb.jpg

post-13625-0-69582400-1494263385_thumb.jpg

For the first rnd I did the clusters all around and then for the second rnd I did a 3 petal flower in top of a dc with a dc in top of the next dc etc. It will look more rounded when done as the pattern.

post-10430-0-87863300-1494292913_thumb.jpeg

post-10430-0-34202000-1494293470.jpeg

Ohh, I see what you are doing Sarisue, you are making the half-flower over TWO rounds--I missed that before.  That rings a bell, I've encountered that before in a vintage pattern as part of an edging (I think they called it a Rice Stitch)  It was in this pattern - the solid sideways ovals at the edge, under the chain loops   http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lily-of-the-valley-doily

The traditional Cluny flowers are made sort of like a Catherine Wheel (inverted shell stitch in 1 row, and normal shell stitch for the top), which is why I was envisioning it differently (make this top-half-only-flower like a shell stitch).

Picots are a really common feature of Irish Crochet construction for decoration and connectors, so it seemed logical to prep the last round of the center with picots. 

Granny Square I like what you are doing. I have started one similiar to the motif . I don't know the stitch counts so I can only gues although mine isn't as good as I am slowing down a lot.

Granny Square I like what you are doing. I have started one similiar to the motif . I don't know the stitch counts so I can only gues although mine isn't as good as I am slowing down a lot.

post-10430-0-32192100-1494349167_thumb.jpg

post-10430-0-27489700-1494352646_thumb.jpg

post-10430-0-51714300-1494352675_thumb.jpg

Archived