Help with pattern....

Tinydancer

Further to my appeal for help the pattern is from learn to crochet from Anna wilkinson I am making the vintage style embroidered top.....the part I am confused is about the 'without shaping part'....

Work as row 5 of st patt

Work rows 2-5 without shaping a further 4 times

Work inc rows 1-4 and rows 2-5 of stitch pattern without shaping a further 4 times

Totally confused any assistance would be great ☺️

Before I answer, there are some other things that you need to know.  First is about forums.  When you start a topic, it's like starting a conversation.  When you reply, it's like continuing a conversation.  You've started two topics on the same conversation.  That means you'll be getting answers in both places.  It's much easier to keep track of what's being said to you and your responses, if you keep everything about the same topic in one place.  To do that, just open the topic, read what others wrote, then type in the "reply to this topic" box and click on Post.  Also, you're more likely to get help if you post in the Help Section (general crochet help or stitch help.)  In the introduction section, you're going to get people saying hello.  This can confuse the conversation about what you need.

Next is about crochet itself.  Is this the book you're using?  Learn to Crochet, Love to Crochet by Anna Wilkinson.  You didn't say where you are from, but this book is from the UK.  UK/Australian crochet terminology is different than US crochet terminology. If you stick to UK patterns, then it's fine.  But, please let us know that it's UK.  The majority of this forum is US.  That doesn't mean we can't help.  It just means that we need to adjust what we say, so that it matches what you know.  If you're going to do US patterns as well as UK, then you need to learn the differences.  

I see from your introduction post that you're new to crochet.  Are you using this book to learn?  I read the reviews and the few that are from people that actually read and used the book are not good.  They say that it's good for those that know how to crochet, but not great for beginners.  It's hard to learn from it.  If this is the book, then it's divided into a learning section and a section for when you've mastered the skills, "love section."  The sweaters are in the "love section."  So, they assume that you know how to crochet.  Did you start from the beginning of the book, read everything and make EVERYTHING in the learn section?  If not, go back and do that before attempting the sweater. Please finish everything in the learn section first.

Is this the sweater?  Vintage Style Embroidered Top.  Here are pictures of someone that made it.  If you're not a member of Ravelry, you'll need to sign up when you click on the links. 

Clothing is one of the more difficult things to make in crochet.  There are multiple sizes and shaping to make things fit right.  Shaping means that you'll be increasing and/or decreasing stitches to change the shape from something that is flat or round to something that will fit a body.  For your pattern, there are increases in the first few rows.  Do the next row just like row 5 as it is stated.  Then repeat in order rows 2-5, but don't include any of the increase instructions.  Do the 2-5 repeat a total of 4 times.  Then do rows 1-4 as stated.  Then rows 2-5 again without the increase instructions.

Note:  If what I just said makes no sense to you, then go back to the first section of the book.  Or start with an easier book that really does a good job teaching.  It took me a lot of years of crocheting before I attempted to make clothing.  Then I started with baby clothes, just to learn the basics of clothing.

I hope this helps you!  Please reply and let me know.

Archived