Arigurumi monkey crochet pattern help

cathypatten

Question

I am fairly new to crocheting and I cant even get passed round 4 of this pattern,my count keeps coming out wrong.On round 4 it reads ,1sc.2sc into next stitch.(2sc,2sc into next stitch.)repeat from(to) 5 times.1sc.It says I should have 24 stitches but I keep ending up with more.Here is the link to the pattern,http://www.supergurumi.com/amigurumi-crochet-monkey-pattern.If any body can help me it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

1 answer to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

you can solve this problem via arithmetic.  in round 3 you have 18 stitches, correct?  if not you need to redo round 3.  then on round 4 you should create 24 stitches.  so you know you need to add 6 stitches.  18 divided by 6 is 3, so you need to increase (add a stitch) in every 3rd stitch.  

your confusion may come from the way this is written, as it is not completely clear.  when they say 2 sc, 2 sc into next stitch, what it means is to make 1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, then in the next stitch make 2 sc which is the increase.  (I personally do not care much for this sort of shorthand that seems to be popular with some people but does lead to a lot of questions and confusion).  

Archived