loopy1

Need help with pattern for Baby's Summer Dress

Question

Baby's Summer Dress Pattern:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cassies-summer-outfit.html

I made this dress several years ago and had a problem getting it started. Now I'm having the same problem. I have no idea at which point the pattern begins.

Here are the first few rows I've done:

post-7514-0-89939100-1493827241_thumb.jpg

And here is a pic of the one I made before:

post-7514-0-38837000-1493826863_thumb.jpg

Edited by loopy1

10 answers to this question

Could you say more about what you want help with?  I'm not quite understanding.   :2blush

Hey, thanks for your reply!  :ty

I don't think the first few rows should be so ruffily. Rows 4, 6, 8, and 10 repeat row 2 which continues to increase the ruffles. Then Row 11 is the armholes. It just doesn't seem right to me. If it's going to keep increasing, it seems rows 4-10 should be working toward the bottom of the dress.

I got help from the designer the first time I made it but didn't make notes. I've emailed her for help again but no response.

I don't know; I'm missing something probably as plain as the nose on my face. I just hate to continue and then have to  :frog

Or maybe it's rows 3 and 5 that seem be the culprit to me...3sc in each sc behind the ch sp in row 3 and 2sc in each sc behind the ch sp in row 5. I'm working the sc in the sk st in the row below.

Edited by loopy1

It would be really helpful if the designer had given stitch counts at the end of each row!  I'm going to try to count, but I'm not going to guarantee that it's right.

1. 50 dc stitches, including the initial ch-3
  2. 24 sc (part of the sc, ch-2, hdc groups) + sc = 25 sc
  3. 2 sc + 3 sc x 23 + 2 sc = 73 sc
  4. 36 sc + sc = 37 sc
  5. 2 sc + 2 sc x 36 + 2 sc = 76 sc
  6. I'm lost, because my counts changed from odd to even.

I can see where this would be difficult to count!!  It shouldn't be ruffling, because you're starting with the neck, making the bodice and then in row 11 making the arms.  I've never made an angel style top, but it definitely increases to get to the armholes.  Here's an angel top pattern that has row counts, so you can see how it increases. I'm wondering if after row 11, the ruffling will straighten itself out.

Sharon, my thoughts exactly about the stitch count! I'm putting this to bed for the night but I think your reply will be helpful. If I pick it up tomorrow and make progress, I'll post what happens.

:ty

• Like 1

This style of baby dress is pretty common, free-pattern wise...maybe one of these would cause fewer headaches.  Sharon is good at parsing patterns and if she got stuck at row 6, it's probably time to find a different pattern...

A lot of these have lacy skirts, you could go with a plainer stitch, just make sure the stitch counts match.  You will need a PDF reader for the Rav downloads.  If you aren't a Ravelry member, this link might not be refined correctly.  I started to link separate patterns but most of them on the first page (of many) more or less were your style--I put 'baby dress' in the search box, then at the right selected craft=crochet, and availability=free.  You can also refine it to the yarn weight you want. since the pattern you were using called for baby/sport yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#availability=free&query=baby%20dress&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best&craft=crochet

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, Granny, but I have to put all crocheting and knitting aside for now. Been overworking my wrist and have to give it a rest...icing and wearing a brace.

I have a PDF reader and a Ravelry account so when I'm able to pick it up and make any progress, I will post again.

:ty

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got distracted by another wip, of which I have waaay too many!

By the way, I believe I have figured out the pattern.

post-7514-0-86585200-1494275998_thumb.jpg

I'm so glad you got it figured out.  The yellow one you made is lovely, but I'm partial to the purple color you selected.  It's going to be gorgeous!!!  :)