Can't read patterns yet!

leamm

Question

second project and having trouble with the pattern...

Row 4:

"...repeat from * across, turn - 22 (24) pattern repeats"

Then on to Row 5.

I'm good with the actual stitch of the row - finished with no problem (well, some problem but...), but I have no idea what "pattern repeats" means. Do I turn and then do row 4 again? wouldn't that make it row 5? But I have instructions for row 5 next. 

I'm sure this seems silly, but I don't want to do another row 4 unless I'm supposed to!

5 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!

It means that within the row you just made, there are 22 "pattern repeats" , segments of the stitch pattern that you make repeatedly across the row.

What is the name and location of the pattern?

Quick info to pattern reading http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Welcome to Crochetville!

The dash means that the row's instructions are done and the stitch count is next. Different designers use different indications to separate instructions and stitch counts. The parentheses are the counts for the sizes.

Don't just look for a dash.  This can be punctuated in other ways as well.   if you look at the link on pattern reading, it gives examples using a colon or parentheses.  I think the main thing is that this information comes at the end of the row directions; it's a summary of what you did in the row.  

Archived