hannah.kupers

Please help me out! :)

Hi there, 

I joined this site to ask a quick question. 

I am looking to buy some light up crochet hooks for my mother for mothers day. 

I just have no idea what sizes to buy, as I don't want to buy the set of nine (it's quite expensive) 

I think I'm going to buy anywhere from 3-6 hooks. 

Any idea which sizes I should get? She does a lot of blankets, scarves, and wash cloths.

Sorry, I know nothing about crocheting, please help me!! :) 

THANK YOU!

I would add F & J to dragonlady's list, if they are within budget.

Are you sure she wants light up hooks? I can't see an advantage to them, but I see pretty well with glasses. First, people crochet where there's plenty of light. Second, it's something that will need batteries replaced and has a chance of breaking. I'm not sure how you can ask without ruining a surprise. Or did she already ask for them? (Not all electronic "improvements" are better than the original.)

There are great ergonomic hooks out there, like Clover Armour and Tulip.

Edited by redrosesdz

My mom actually likes to crochet by the tv, and we have very low lighting in that room, so it might work for her.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it

I would add F & J to dragonlady's list, if they are within budget.

Are you sure she wants light up hooks? I can't see an advantage to them, but I see pretty well with glasses. First, people crochet where there's plenty of light. Second, it's something that will need batteries replaced and has a chance of breaking. I'm not sure how you can ask without ruining a surprise. Or did she already ask for them? (Not all electronic "improvements" are better than the original.)

There are great ergonomic hooks out there, like Clover Armour and Tulip.

• Like 1

The other thing is that not all hooks have the same type of head. I have a terrible time using the "Boye-type" heads. Some people can't use the in-line, or Bates-type, hooks. Some don't mind and an use both. Sneak a look at the hooks she uses and see what they look like, then compare them to the ones you're thinking of buying her.

Hi :hi and Welcome :welcome   to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

Besides everything you have been told, I found that the light up hooks seem to be a little larger than the regular hook.  I mean the head and the way they crochet.  I just sent my granddaughter a set and she loves them.

Keep in mind, that the handles are larger also than a regular hook.

If you have a JoAnn's close to you, check there--they have them on sale quite often!

• Like 1

I agree both Joann's and Hobby Lobby Carry these lite up crochet hooks and if you go  more then once to the store you can use 40% off coupons each time to save $$ as well to get your set over a few shopping trips :) I agree Sizes G-J or even up to K....I have wanted to try them since I do alot of crochet in a work van and light is limited @ times Bad...so maybe some extra light would help even next the tv....I have the same issue at home too lol with bad living room lighting...

• Like 1

I have to tell this on myself!!  I recently made a shawl with 3 colors--pink, salmon, and dark salmon. My tableside lamp had gotten broken, and I was just depending on a lamp on a nearby table between my husband's chair and mine.  I finished the shawl--wove the ends in and held it up to see if there were any ends I'd missed--nope!--All ok!  I held it up for my hubby to see, and he complimented me on it--said he really liked those colors together!  Ok...so the next day, I took it to a class I'm teaching--to show them how pretty those colors look together!  Lo and Behold!  When I pulled it out of the bag, two of the beautiful colors of salmon were actually light orange and gold!!!!!  That really proves how important good light it!!!  The colors were the same value, or hue, or whatever--in poor light!  BEWARE!!! :yes  I really should have used my lite up hook!!!

Edited by Avon Lady

Howdy from Oklahoma

Welcome to Crochetville