Pattern help

Mhenke

Question

I am starting the Red Heart Cuddle Me Blanket and don't understand the pattern. Starting in Row1 it says,

"With A, ch 154.

Row 1 (right side): Working in back bars only, dc in 6th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as 2 skipped ch and first dc), ch

1, dc in first skipped ch, *skip next 2 ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, working in front of dc just made, dc in first skipped ch; repeat from * across to last 2 ch, skip next ch, dc in last ch, turn—102 dc and 50 ch-1 spaces."

I don't know what it wants me to do.

Meggen

10 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!

here is how to work into back bar of chain https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=734&type_id=S&scat_id=369

reason for doing this is the appearance is supposed to mirror the final row's top edge.  personally i find it fiddly to do and might well not start this way.  

do you need the whole row explained?  let us know if so.  by the way, the symbol diagram on page 2 of pattern is pretty self-explanatory, so look at that for help.  you could use the diagram to make a small swatch to practice the stitch pattern.   

link to pattern for reference https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=734&type_id=S&scat_id=369

inn row 1 and all odd rows, you are making crossed stitches to form the X shape and raised texture.  you make a stitch, then work in front of it for the next stitch, forming an X with one leg infront of the other.  

also, if you are not understanding the written instructions, and haven't yet learned how to read the symbols in the diagram, i suggest writing out the instructions in complete words.  often just doing that clears up a lot of confusion.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

Here's the link for the Red Heart Cuddle Me Blanket.  What you're doing is a crossed DC stitch.  It creates an "X".  Here's a youtube video that shows how the stitch is done ...

Until you get the stitch down, I recommend doing a swatch in an even number of stitches, like 20, for at least 5-10 rows.  To get 20 stitches, add 6 chains for the first step.  I'm going to write out the instructions in steps.  I find that it helps me, when I'm confused.  (I'm going to assume you're right-handed.)

1. Chain 154
  2. Working in back bars only, dc in 6th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as 2 skipped ch and first dc).  Chains make 3 strands.  The > is the top of the stitch.  On the other side is the third strand, commonly called the back bump.  You're going to insert your hook under the back bump for all of the stitches in row 1.  DC in the 6th chain from the hook.
  3. Ch 1
  4. DC in first skipped ch.  YO, just like you do for every dc stitch.  With your hook in front of the dc you made in step 2, insert your hook in the back bump to the right of the stitch.  YO, draw up a loop.  Complete the dc stitch.  This completes your first crossed dc stitch.
  5. Skip next 2 ch.
  6. DC in next ch.  DC in the the back bump of the 3rd chain to the left of the first dc in the crossed stitch.
  7. Ch 1
  8. Working in front of dc just made, dc in first skipped ch.  Do a crossed dc, just like in step 4.
  9. Repeat steps 5-8 across to last 2 ch.  Stop when there are 2 chains left.
  10. Skip next ch.
  11. DC in last ch
  12. Turn

Counts: 102 dc (50 crossed dc stitches) and 50 ch-1 spaces

:waving @ Kathy.  I thought that was you when I saw that new posts had been added while I was typing!  :)

well, shoot, where did it go?  trying again  http://www.redheart.com/how-to/articles/guide-crochet-crossed-stitches-cables-more

here's the whole list of how-to entries of Red Heart http://www.redheart.com/learn-to-crochet

thank you for letting me know, Sharon!   :)

Archived