What is the meaning of "ch – 2 ch-1 spaces"

Jovazzle

Question

Hi there fellow crocheteers. :) My name is Sergei and I live in Kiev, Ukraine. I've become fascinated with crocheting and want to embark on a project, an easy one, or so the designer says. :) I've found a free pattern on favecrafts.com Giant Granny square throw (https://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-A...red-heart-yarn)
I have read a book on how to read instructions by Dorothy Wilks; however, I still cannot find an explanation to a tiny detail in the instruction, which I copy here:
Row 1: Slip st in 4th ch from hook (counts as ch-1 space) slip st in next 2 chs, ch 1, skip next ch, slip st in next ch – 2 ch-1 spaces.

I cannot seem to get the idea of ch-1 space. Can anyone, please, explain what it means? I can read from the beginning that I have to slip stitch into 4th chain from the hook. The question here is: do I count the second chain as the first, or I have to count the very first chain, the one still on the hook, as the first one? Then, according to the instruction, I have to slip stitch in the next 2 chains, then chain one and slip stitch in the second chain from the one currently engaged in action; and then I am dumbfounded :) : the instruction says I have to slip stitch in the "next chain - 2 ch-1 spaces" Please, someone, help me understand what - (minus) sign means here? Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help. :)

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville and to crocheting!

I'm going to answer the last part of your question first.  I think it will help clarify everything else.  The - is a dash.  It means that the instructions have ended and what comes next is the stitch count.  (Different designers use different indicators to end the instructions and to indicate what the stitch count should be.)  A ch-1 space (or ch-1 sp) is a chain 1.  There is a space under the chain.  If you do 2 chains, then it's called a ch-2 space or ch-2 sp.  So, your stitch count is 2 ch-1 spaces.  (One created by step 1 below and the other created by step 3 below.)

Just in case that didn't answer your question, I'm going to write out the instructions for row 1 and round 1.  By the way, never count the loop on your hook when you're counting stitches.  You started with 8 chains...

1. Slip st in the 4th ch from hook (counts as ch-1 space.)  Count 4 chains and slip stitch in the 4th one.  This creates a ring.  The designer is counting this as a ch-1 space.
  2. Slip st in next 2 chs.  Slip stitch in the 5th and 6th chains.
  3. Ch 1, skip next ch.  Chain 1 and skip the 7th chain.  This creates a ch-1 space.
  4. Slip st in next ch.  Slip stitch in the 8th ch.

Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), work 2 dc in ch-1 space, ch 2, 3 dc in same space, ch 1, ([3 dc, ch 2] twice, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-1 space, ch 1, 3 dc in first ch-1 space, ch 2, slip st to top of beginning ch to join. Fasten off.

1. Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout).  Chain 3 to make your first dc stitch.  It has a dual purpose.  First, it gets you to the height of a dc stitch.  Next, it also counts as a dc stitch.  So, when you're counting stitches, count the chain-3.
  2. Work 2 dc in ch-1 space.  Do 2 dc stitches by inserting your hook under the chain-1 created in step 3 of the row 1 instructions.
  3. Ch 2
  4. 3 dc in same space.  Do 3 dc stitches by inserting your hook in the same space as step 2.
  5. Ch 1
  6. 3 dc, ch 2 in next ch-1 space.  Do 3 dc stitches by inserting your hook in the middle of the ring created in step 1 of the row 1 instructions.  Then do 2 chains.
  7. Repeat step 6.
  8. Ch 2, 3 dc in the same ch-1 space as step 6.  Chain 2. Then do 3 dc stitches by inserting your hook in the same space as the dc stitches in steps 6 & 7.
  9. Ch 1
  10. 3 dc in first ch-1 space. Do 3 dc stitches by inserting your hook in the same space as the dc stitches in step 2.
  11. Ch 2
  12. Slip st to top of beginning ch to join.  Slip stitch to the top chain of the chain-3 created in step 1.
  13. Fasten off.

Having gone through typing that, I have to say that those are the strangest instructions for starting a granny square that I've ever seen.  I tested it.  I think there's an error in the instructions.  Don't do the chain 2 in step 8.  There should only be a total of 2 chains between the dc stitches in step 7 and the dc stitches in step 8.

Stitch counts at the end of round 1: 4 ch-2 spaces.  These are your corners.  On the sides, starting with one of the short sides there should be 3 dc.  Then on the next side (long side), there should be 3 dc, then a ch-1, then 3 dc.  Then 3 dc (other short side).  Finally 3 dc, ch-1, 3 dc (other long side.)  Remember when counting the dc stitches, the ch-3 is a dc stitch on one of the short sides.

You read it before I changed my answer.  Sorry about that!  The designer is creating a rectangle.  My instructions create a square.  So, please re-read what I wrote and follow the designer.  If you don't, it'll throw you off for the following rounds.

ETA: I removed my instructions for starting a granny square in a square pattern.

Hi Jovazzle :)  welcome tot he ville from me too!

Since Sharon said the pattern is a bit odd, I thought it might be helpful to se a rectangle grany pattern that has a stitch symbol diagram or chart http://www.crochetgeek.com/2009/07/rectangle-crochet-granny-square.html

this i think is more of a long rectangle but it shows the structure clearly.  

Archived