Cocoon granny square..

rhiimmy

Question

Hey Crochetville! 

I am a new user here and I am stuck on a current project.

I started making a cocoon granny square cardigan, but I made it too small (unable to cover behind). 

Is there any suggestions you might have to make it longer?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Are you making several granny squares and sewing them together or are you making a giant granny square?  Are you following a pattern or winging it?  If it's a pattern, do you have the link to where you found it? Is this the pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/granny-cocoon-shrug

The obvious answer is to add more rounds or squares.  However, I think you're asking for more than the obvious.  If you could add pictures and any additional information, it would help us to get a better idea of what could help.  For example, how far have you gotten in the process?  Is it still a square or is it sewn together?  There is an Attach Files section under the message area for adding pics.  (If you don't see it, click on More Reply Options.) 

If it's the pattern that Redrosesdz linked to, it's just a big granny square.  Link directly to the pattern (in Hungarian, but you can just look at the pics and diagram to get the idea--it has measurements)

http://teszekveszekvacakolok.blogspot.hu/2013/05/nincs-mentseg.html

So, you want a square that at it's largest shouldn't be bigger than the measurement across your body and arms from wrist to wrist.  If you haven't sewn the side seams yet, try not folding it in half, but fold so the part behind you is longer than the part in front ( I hope that makes sense).  Try pinning it first, I'm not sure if that would throw something off in the fit; certainly it would look a little different.

Another thought to lengthen the back if you've sewn the seam is making granny rows that either go straight down, or get narrower by 1 granny block per side so it's not just a straight flap back there.  I think the latter might need a finishing row of a solid stitch all around though so it didn't look jagged.

hi redroses dz and grannysquare! thanks for replying to my thread.

unfortunately, i did sew the sides together (it was a giant square beforehand) 

as of right now i am just adding more shells to the pattern, in hopes that it will lengthen it.

i saw a few patterns before i attempted to make this..but redroses' link is pretty close to what i would like to accomplish; maybe not that long all together...

if there is a need to link pictures, i would be more than happy too.

below is the picture and in addition i have added two rows all around the side of the cardi.

post-79775-0-46653600-1493082913_thumb.png

I like your colors!  It's pretty!

If I would you, I'd rip out the extra that you added and cut the sewing out.  That way you're back to a giant square.  Then I'd add rounds until it's big enough.  Use the pinning method that Granny Square mentioned to make sure it's the right size, before you sew it again.  You might even add a round of the variegated to break up the green, then go back to green rounds. 

Ohhh...that's not how the Hungarian one was sewn together (look at the diagram in my link), it was folded in half, not with the tips toward the middle.  So, what I described would not work here (except in general the pinning before sewing part). 

I agree with what Redrosesdz said about pulling out your seams and continuing with the big granny square--if you just work straight around the sewn edge you have now, the square will not get bigger, it will just end up looking like a graduation cap.  

What I was thinking seaming-wise in post 3 was like this pattern, which is knit but really you could just make a rectangle the measurements in the diagram out of knit, crochet, or even fleece.  It's not a square, but a rectangle, which is why I was suggesting adding to 1 side (the back) of the rectangle.  This is only elbow length (elbow to elbow width), but you could make it wrist-to-wrist width, and longer (just fold in half, keep the armhole opening the same or to suit you and seam the bottom sides).

Archived