What to do with acrylic yarn?

Astridelle

Question

Hey guys, 

I'm super new to crocheting and I recently picked up some Bernat Satin yarn (I thought it was soft and the colors were pretty), without knowing that different types of yarns are better for making different things. I am just wondering what kids of things I CAN make with this specific yarn?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

You can make lots of things with acrylic yarn!

First look at the label, there may be a free pattern printed inside.

Next try the Bernat website for patterns using that specific type (bernat satin) of acrylic yarn.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/bernat-free-crochet-patterns?p=3&yarn=164379

This will give you an idea of the range of items the yarn can be used for.

Pay attention to the weight of yarn specified in projects ... worsted, sport, fingering, lace... that is also an important factor in how a yarn is used.

Welcome to Crochetville!

Think of different yarns like different fabrics.  Thickness, texture, durability, care instructions, etc. all depend on whether you're making a summer pullover, winter scarf, kid's toy, warm or light afghan, rug, container, purse or any of the other hundreds of things that can be made with yarn and a crochet hook.

The rule of thumb is that if you're using a pattern, pick yarn that is similar in thickness, texture and fiber.  It doesn't have to be the exact yarn that the designer used.  As ratdog mentioned, thickness is the most important factor when trying to match a pattern.  Also, pay attention to allergies.  Small children and babies (as well as some adults) can be allergic to animal fibers, especially wool.

Here's what the yarn label means:

Yarn Weight: This is the thickness of the yarn.  It'll say "X-ply" or a description, like "worsted."  Below I have a link for Yarn Tips.  In the yarn tips is a link to the Yarn Council's weight chart.

Yardage: This is the length of the yarn.

Weight: This is the weight of the skein.

Recommended Needle Size: This is the most common size knitting needles and crochet hook used with this yarn.  It's a guide.

Gauge: This is the most common number of stitches achieved using this yarn and the recommended needle size.  It's a guide.

Fiber Content: This is what the yarn is made of.

Washing Instructions: Self explanatory.

You want to use the Yarn Weight to determine if a yarn can be substituted.  Even if a yarn is in the same weight category, the thickness can vary.  Also, since everyone has a different tension, even if you use the same yarn as the designer, you may have to change hook sizes to get the exact same size.  Usually size is only critical for clothing, everything else can be a close size.

You want to use Yardage or Weight to determine how much of the yarn that you'll need.  It's best to get all the yarn at one time, because different dye lots can be slightly different in color and/or thickness.  Even if a yarn says "no dye lot", it can vary by when it was produced.

Here's the Yarn Tip link that I mentioned earlier.  Lot's of good information in there!

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155671-yarn-tips/

There are some other excellent posts about yarn in the Yarn section of this forum ...

http://www.crochetville.com/community/forum/39-yarn-talk/

Welcome to crochet and the 'ville!

For me, acrylic is pretty much general purpose.  My own fiber preferences:

Scrubbies - acrylic works great, there are also specialty yarns like Red Heart Scrubby which is polyester and made to be a bit more abrasive.

Pot holders/trivets - cotton, because acrylic will 'melt' (deform); doesn't get molten but it 'deforms' (looks ugly) and is not at all heat resistant (not safe).  Wool is actually more heat resistant than cotton so would work too, and will shrink and thicken up if you wash it, even better.

Bath or kitchen cloths - cotton.  Acrylic is not absorbent.  

Sweaters, scarves and garments - for me, acrylic works great.  A few years ago I moved to a place that that gets much colder in the winter than I'd been used to, and my old wardrobe was mostly useless. I've been making a lot of acrylic pullovers and cardigans.  Some prefer wool, but wool takes special care (and some people have allergies).  Some think acrylic is uncomfortable (because it doesn't 'breathe') but I've never had that issue; if you think about it, many purchased sweaters are either acrylic, polyester, nylon or 'not wool' too.  Cotton is OK but stretches when worn.

Blankets - acrylic is easy care.  Cotton would work, but would be heavier, and again wool takes special care.

Doilies - cotton thread, best for blocking into shape

Socks-mix of wool and nylon, which you find in most yarn made for socks (nylon adds durability).

So to answer your question about your recent yarn purchase, most anything that is not exposed to heat or needs to be absorbent.  Maybe try a hat or small neck cowl, that's a small project that 1 skein (200 yards) might be enough for.

If my memory is right, Bernat Satin is worsted weight. You can make tons of things with worsted weight. Bernat Satin can't usually be mixed with other ww's because it has a different finish, but you could mix it with other Satin colors if you really like it.

Being in New York State, we always think of warm items first - blankets, afghans, shawls, legwarmers. hats, scarves, mittens. I also like to do placemats and table mats. Then there's bags, everything from little drawstring ones, cosmetic bags, small crossbody bags, purses, and totes.

Archived