Help identify this stitch, please

Winschem

Question

10 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

It sort of looks like a stitch I was doing recently.  On one row you do alternating SC, DC stitches.  On the next row you do alternating DC, SC stitches.  The DC stitches are always made in the SC stitches and vice-versa.  The two ends are different.  On one end, you chain 1 for the turning chain and on the other end you chain 3 (to get a DC stitch on the end.)  The chain 1's are always on the same end and vice-versa.  Where the taller stitches are, it looks like little puffs of pillows.

I can see the alternating stitches in your pattern, but the difference is that it looks like it was done all in back loop only. 

Make a swatch to see if this is the pattern.  Let us know.  If I get a chance later this morning, I'll make a swatch and see, too. 

ETA:  I should have mentioned that on the row that ends in a DC, that's the end with the chain 1 turning chain.  On the row that ends with the SC, that's the end with the chain 3 turning chain.

I did a swatch and to me it looked just like your picture.  By the way, I tried both front and back loop only and it's definitely back loop only.  This surprised me, because I never thought there was much difference between the two, as long as you stayed consistently with one or the other.   When I did FLO, it was more open.  When I did BLO, it looked like the picture.

Here's what I did...

• Even number of stitches + 1 chain for the turning chain.
  • Start every row with an SC and end with a DC.  Alternate between SC and DC stitches across.  Every SC stitch should be in done in a DC and vice-versa.
  • Chain 1 for the turning chain every row. **
  • Do the first row in the foundation chain's back bump.
  • Do all subsequent rows in the BLO.

** Because I did an even number of stitches, I was able to chain 1 at the end of every row.  If you do an odd number of stitches, then you have to switch between doing a chain-1 when you end the row with a DC and chain-3 when you end the row with an SC.  You also have to stitch into the top of the chain-3 on every other row.  It was MUCH easier to do an even number of stitches.

ETA: I still don't know the name of the stitch.  LOL

Huh, interesting.  I remember finding it (up down=sc in dc, dc in sc) long ago at crochet.about.com, a site which seems to no longer exist.  Now in googling, I'm finding 'up down'  both that way and by your description ...just another example of crochet stitch names not being consistent!

I am amazed that you folks can look at a pattern and know how to recreate it!  You all truly have a gift and how nice that you share your gift to help others.  Thank you for your quick responses.  I went home on Thursday night and tried to follow your instructions with some of my medium weight purple yarn, but it just looked too bulky.  I bought some lighter variegated color baby yarn and that seemed to work a little better, but it doesn't look exactly right.  Here are some photos of my attempts:

post-79748-0-26217800-1492826513_thumb.jpg

post-79748-0-73242900-1492826523_thumb.jpg

Do you have any suggestions I might try to make mine look more like the original?  Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of yarn?

Thanks for everything!

I can't tell with the purple yarn, but with the variegated some of the rows look off.  You have to make sure that every SC stitch is done in a DC stitch and that every DC stitch is done in an SC stitch.  It looks like some of the rows are that way and some aren't.

Also, are you by chance limiting or changing the size of the pictures in any way?  It'll help if you don't do that.  The forum's editor automatically makes them a smaller size, then when you click on it, it should get bigger.  Yours are staying small.  It's really hard to see the the stitches when the picture is small.

There is another similar tall/short stitch combo using hdc and sc (it has a name, but it escapes me).  I just did a swatch, unfortunately in white and I can't get it to scan well, but you might try a little swatch and see if that works better.

Archived