shmeashmea

Ridge while crocheting in the round

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm having some trouble with a pattern. I've crocheted amigurumi without problems before when I don't have to join or ch1 at the end of rows, but this annoying ridge always happens if I do it according to those instructions: http://i.imgur.com/yO5ctcD.jpg

Pattern is here: http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2016/08/starbucks-summer-essentials-and-crochet-coffee-mug-keychains.html

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the ville !

I'm not sure exactly what is happening on your project, but there are lots of good suggestions for ami on the blog of Planet June, so I'd suggest you take a look there.  

1 person likes this

Welcome to Crochetville!

Are you talking about the ridge created in round 8?  If yes, you're supposed to have a ridge on the inside of the cup after round 8.  You'll use the ridge to make the coffee lid.

When you crochet into the top of a stitch, which is inserting your hook under both the front loop and back loop, there is no ridge.  When instructions say to crochet into the front loop only (FLO) or back loop only (BLO), it creates a ridge.  Your pattern is crochet into the front loop only in round 8.  When you do round 9, you'll crocheting into the back loop of round 7.  This is the loop that you didn't use in round 8.  When you do this, the ridge inside the cup will disappear.

Does this answer your question? 

After typing all of this I took a look at the pic in your first link again.  I didn't realize that it was a pic of your work in progress when I first looked at it.  Are you talking about the bumps along the side?

Most amigurumi is done in a spiral, where you keeping going at the end of each round, instead of finishing a round and starting a new one.  This pattern isn't done in a spiral.  When you join, it's with a slip stitch to the top of the first SC stitch.  It looks like your join might have been to the chain 1.  You have to ignore the chain 1 when you do your slip stitch join.  When you go around, you have to be careful that you don't crochet into the the slip stitch.  Both the chain 1 and the slip stitch don't count as stitches.  Count the number of SC stitches around.  Every round from 1-8 should have 10 SC stitches.  If you have more than 10, then you're crocheting into the join or the chain 1.

One thing you can do to help see where the first SC is on each round is to use a running stitch marker.  Get a piece of scrap yarn in a contrasting color, about 6" long.  (Note: the exact length isn't important.)  As you start round 2, lay the tail of the scrap yarn across round 1's first SC, with the short end sticking out towards you.  Capture the scrap yarn under round 2's first SC stitch.  Before you start round 3, flip the scrap yarn towards you.  Capture the scrap yarn under round 3's first SC stitch.  Continue flipping it back and forth under the first SC stitch of each round.  When you're done with the project, pull it out.

I use a running stitch marker for all rounds that are going to curl (e.g. amigurumi, hats, bowls, etc..)  Running stitch markers are great for seeing where the rounds begin and making sure that your first stitch in each round is in the right place.  Because crochet stitches lean, the running stitch marker will spiral to the right slightly.  This is normal.  It's also handy for counting how many rounds you've done.

I hope this helps and those bumps disappear for you!  Let us know either way.  Also, please post a pic of the finished coffee cup.  It's really cute!.  You can post pictures in here by using the Attach Files section, located underneath the box where you type your post.  If you're replying to a post, you have to click on More Reply Options in order to see the Attach Files section.

1 person likes this

Thanks magiccrochetfan, I'll check it out!

redrosesdz, thanks for reading again and being so thorough in your response! Yes, I meant the diagonal line of bumps where I'm joining. I tried it again, making sure to join using the sc and not the sl or ch stitches (I'm using an earring as a stitch marker, I've never gotten the hang of running stitch markers). I still get a distinct diagonal line happening at each join. It's not as noticeable on the opposite side, so when I turn it inside out it looks better, but I can still tell where I joined. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky and it's supposed to look like that? Haha I dunno. Attached are some pics of my second try (drew a line under what I'm talking about just in case). The shape of the cup looks right now at least. Also, you mentioned 1-8 are supposed to be 10 sc but in row 2 there's an increase in each stitch, so I've been keeping it at 20, but I know what you mean ^_^ I realized when unraveling that I accidentally did 11 sc, not 10, so that definitely threw me off for the rest of it before.

post-79749-0-43081500-1492723214_thumb.png

post-79749-0-83982000-1492723218_thumb.png

You're right that I missed where round 2 said 2SC.  Yep, rounds 2-8 are all 20 stitches.  I'm so glad you found the mistake on the first try.  That's what your pic looked like, an extra stitches or stitches on rounds.

Your new pics look perfect to me!  The join will look slightly different, because it's a slip stitch & chain 1.  You did it correctly, because I can see the natural spiral of the joins, due to how crochet stitches lean & lock together.  Once you stuff it, that line will disappear even more.  No one else will be able to see it, unless you point it out to them.

Since, you did it correctly, the only solution I can think of is to modify the pattern and do spiral rounds.  You can still do FLO for round 8, if your rounds are a spiral.  Or you could join just round 7, chain 1, then do round 8.  Visually, there isn't a lot of difference in look between joined rounds and spiral rounds.  To someone who didn't make it, they would never know.

Edited by redrosesdz
1 person likes this

I don't think anyone else will notice the diagonal, but ya know, it is just part of the nature of crochet that often the joins are visible so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks so much for the help everyone! Here are the finished products :) For the smaller one I changed the magic ring to 6 sc and kept it at 12 instead of 20 after the increase. Can't wait til my empty keychains come in the mail, I'm giving one of these to each of my coworkers at Starbucks! ^_^

post-79749-0-39662500-1492987680_thumb.jpg

Edited by shmeashmea

I agree!  They are just darling!  Your coworkers are going to love them.  :)

1 person likes this

Those are really really cute!

1 person likes this