stitch your way to big money

Piperbigz

People who do crafts, whether it's with yarn, thread, fabric, paper, wood, beads, clay, etc., don't do it for the money.  You're not going to make a lot of money crafting.  We do it, because we love the craft, it's therapeutic, we love the final creations or anything else that's along those lines of thought.

There are three ways that I know of to make money doing crafts.  All are enough to support the hobby, but not enough to supplement an income.  First, if you're really good and creative, you can design, write and sell a pattern.  I think getting a pattern published in a book or magazine pays better than selling it online.  You can sell patterns that you've created online at places like Ravelry and Etsy. 

Next, you can make things and sell them at craft fairs or online at places like Etsy.  Typically things are priced X times the cost of materials, not by how long it takes you to make something.  So, you make ~ 50 cents an hour or less. 

Getting paid as a tester is the least profitable.  A lot of testers are paid by getting a copy of the final pattern for free.  Some big name magazines pay testers.  You need to live near where the magazine is published.  My sister is a quilt tester for Connecting Threads.  She drives 45 minutes to pick up projects and another 45 minutes to drop them off.  She makes enough to support her quilting hobby, which is one of the more expensive hobbies.  Some months she might get 2-3 projects and some months none.  They don't use testers that aren't within driving distance.  I don't know how other magazines work, but I assume it's a similar policy.

Welcome to the ville :hook

Realistically I don't think the words "big money" and "crochet or knit" even belong in the same sentence.  There are some people who make a decent living by designing and selling patterns, and teaching classes, and running a social media site, and perhaps developing a yarn line and selling that....but there are only a handful of these folks, and they aren't making "big money" as far as I've ever heard.  

Archived