Working in rows.

Gemma417

Question

I am quite new to crochet and usually work in the round. But when i do work in rows i get lines across my work but there isn't in the pictures i'm following. Am i working into the wrong part of the loop? I've attached some pictures to try and explain better. 

Thank You.

post-79637-0-14585100-1492017144_thumb.jpg

post-79637-0-08483300-1492017148_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Yes, you're not capturing the entire top of the stitch when you insert your hook.

There are parts to a stitch.  The top of a stitch looks like > and consists of both strands of yarn.  The top can be divided into the front loop (strand closest to you) and back loop (strand that's on the other side from you.)  Normally, stitches are done by inserting your hook under the entire top.  Patterns might say FLO (front loop only) or BLO (back loop only), if it's different than using both loops.

The other part of the stitch is the part between the top of the stitch and the top of the stitch below.  It's called the post.  You can also insert your hook around a post.  It's called a FP (front post) if you go from front to back.  Or a BP (back post) if you go from back to front around the post.  When you do a chain, this other part is a single strand, usually called the back bump.

I hope this helps!  Let us know.  :)

Archived