L1,L2,L3,L4 stitches

MarionFeltis

Can anyone help with translating. Pattern says L1 linked stitch with one loop drawn up. L2 linked stitch with two loops drawn up. L3 linked stitch with 3 loops drawn up. L4 linked stitch with 4 loops drawn up. Pattern then suggests google Tunisian linked stitches. All the videos that I have watched mention linked half double, linked double linked triple etc. But none say L1,L2,L3 or L4. Would appreciate any help

Welcome to Crochetville!

I've been looking at the pattern on the link Kathy provided.  I can see where you're confused! Her "explanation" of L1, L2, L3, L4 leaves a lot to be desired.  Referencing Tunisian is confusing, too, since you're not doing Tunisian.  I think the reference is how to work with multiple loops on the hook.

The L1, etc. sequence is replacing a short row sequence on the original pattern.  The original sequence is do 8 hdc.  Go back over those 8 hdc with some sc and return with sc.  There are photos and instructions that show how to make the short row arch by where the sc stitches are placed.  So, the L1, etc. sequence is making an arch.

Here are the "definitions" of L1, etc:

L1 = linked stitch with one loop drawn up (never count the final loop drawn through base of stitch)

L2 = linked stitch with two loops drawn up

L3 = linked stitch with three loops drawn up

L4 = linked stitch with four loops drawn up

Linked stitch is where you insert your hook under a strand in the previous stitch (usually the closest one in the middle of the post), instead of yarning over before you start an hdc or dc.  It acts as the middle loop on your hook after you insert your hook and draw up a loop.  Tunisian is where you're gathering loops on your hook.

I tried marrying the linked stitch concept and the Tunisian concept and it seemed to create the short to tall to short stitches required for an arch.  Here's what I did:

For the L1, I insert my hook once under 1 strand, then did a dc stitch.  (1 loop added to the hook)

For the L2, I inserted my hook under the top strand, then inserted my hook under the bottom strand, then did a tr stitch.  (2 loops added to the hook)

For the L3, I inserted my hook under the top strand, then inserted my hook under the middle strand, then inserted my hook under the bottom strand, then did a dtr stitch.  (3 loops added to the hook)

As you get taller stitches, you'll have more strands along the side.  Start at the top post of the previous stitch and insert your hook under 1 strand and repeat.  The number of times you'll add a strand to your hook is the number after the L.  When all the strands are gathered on your hook, insert your hook in the next stitch and draw up a loop.  YO and pull through 2, until the stitch is done.

Here's a good tutorial right here @ Crochetville!

http://crochetville.com/linked-stitches-tutorial-right-handed/

Let me know if this works for you.

I just went back and reread the ravelry page, where she explains the linked stitches.  It looks like she does linked stitches slightly differently than I do.  Instead of just inserting the hook in the strands along the previous stitch's post, she draws up a loop.  If I'm understanding what she's saying, the steps are:

1. Insert hook in the top strand of the previous stitch's post.  Or in the closest strand, if the previous stitch was an hdc.  Note: when you're decreasing the height of a stitch (L4 then L3, L3 then L2, or L2 then L1), insert your hook in the next to bottom strand, and then insert your hook in the bottom strand, so that both are on your hook before the last step 2.
  2. YO and pull up a loop through the strand(s).
  3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for each number after the L.  For example, for L1 do steps 1 & 2 once, for L2 do steps 1 & 2 twice using the top and bottom strands, etc.
  4. Insert your hook in the next stitch, YO and pull up a loop through the stitch.
  5. YO and pull through 2 loops on your hook.
  6. Repeat step 5, until there is only 1 loop left.

In my testing of the stitches, I wasn't doing step 2.

Hi MoonCrone,

This is Marion's thread for getting help and welcomes. We'd like to welcome you, too. Please start your own thread in the introduction section, instead of hijacking this one. That way people can say hello to you. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for this! I was googling for help on exactly the same pattern! Have been searching on YouTube and google for days on help with L1/2/3 as I had no idea what it meant… I’ve even asked at my crochet group & they hadn’t come across it either! 

Had just about worked out how to go from 1-2-3 but my attempts at 3-2-1 are very gappy which is no good for amigurumi! So I was googling how to go from L3-L2 which brought me here& I was surprised when I suddenly saw exactly the same pattern I was working on! Am so glad it’s not just me who got confused! 😂😂 

Am now off to try decreasing again now I’ve read your description of the stitches I think I have a clearer view!

THANK YOU!!! 

Archived