simple dc question

Jbfloy00

Question

I originally posted a question concerning a ripple baby afghan.  As I got a little bit further into the design I decided that maybe I better start with something easier. The new project is easier then the last one but still a little bit more difficult than what I've previously done. And I do have a question.

I'm trying a stroller blanket from "cute baby blankies" , red heart crochet, coats and clark 2012. 

The pattern alternates between rows of dcs and rows of alternating dcs and sl sts.

Instructions
ch80
Row 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each rem ch across-79 sc.  Ch3(counts as dc on next row now & throughout), turn,

Row 2 DC in next sc & in each rem sc across-79 dc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3 Sk first dc, dc in next dc; *sl st in next dc, dc in next dc" repeat from * across; sl st in 3rd ch of turning ch-3 -39dc and 40 sl sts. Ch 3, turn.

The question I have is if the ch 3 at the end of row 1 counts as a dc and I'm crocheting 79 dcs in each of the scs from row 1, won't I have 80 dcs or am I supposed to be skipping the first sc when I'm starting row 2?
I did a test gauge and I always have one more dc than I think I should.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Judi

2 answers to this question

The chain 3 is called "the turning chain."  It's purpose is get you to the right height for the next stitch.  It counts as a stitch.  So, when you count your stitches for row 2, you'll have the chain 3 + 78 actual DC stitches = 79 DC.  Here are the rules for flat crochet ...

SC: Chain 1 for a turning chain.  The turning chain does not count as a stitch.  The first stitch in a row is in the first >.  The last stitch in a row is in the last >.

HDC: Chain 1 or 2 for a turning chain.  Sometimes the turning chain counts as a stitch and sometimes it doesn’t.  It’s up to the designer.  Patterns will specify if it counts as a stitch or not.  If it does NOT count as a stitch, follow the rules for SC.  If it does count as a stitch, follow the rules for DC.

DC: Chain 2 or 3 for a turning chain.  The turning chain counts as a stitch.  The first stitch is in the 2nd > and the last stitch is in the top of the previous row’s turning chain.  (Tip: Make the last chain in the turning chain loose, so that you can fit your hook in it.  To get a looser chain, pinch it as you make it.  Do not pull on the yarn after.)

TR: Chain 3 or 4 for a turning chain.  The turning chain counts as a stitch.  Follow the DC rules.

You're following the DC rules.  That means that you're first actual DC stitch in row 2 goes into the top of the 2nd SC stitch.  Your last DC stitch will go in the last SC stitch, since you don't have a turning chain on row 1.

In row 3, you're skipping the first DC.  This is the same as doing a slip stitch as your "turning chain."

^ everything that she said.  The ch-3 sort of sits outside the row, but ACTS like a DC, so if you were to also stitch into the first stitch you'd be adding a stitch to the row.

This leaves a little gap, which bothers some people.  If you feel adventurous, try this instead of ch-3, turn and skip the first stitch:

don't chain, just turn

slip stitch into the first stitch

chain 2 or 3 a little loosely as mentioned above (whatever works better to match the height of your DCs

This way, you've done the turning chain into the first stitch, not to the side of it, and no skipping of stitches.  Also no gap.

Archived