Help with starting Round Ripple Baby Afghan

Jbfloy00

Question

I've done simple ripple afghans in the past but wanted to make a Ripple Baby Afghan that I have from an old book of patterns, New Crochet Basics, 12 Designs for Beginners, by Leisure Arts.1989

The first 2 instructions are as follows:

With CC ch5, join with slip st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: Ch3, (YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop) twice, YO and draw through all 5 loops on hook, ch 2,

*(YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop) 3 times, YO and draw through all 7 loops on hook, ch 2; repeat from

* 6 times more; join with slip st to first st: 8 ch-2 sps.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do after the bolded part.  When it says insert hook in ring am I really not supposed to be inserting the hook through any of the loops?  I tried to do that and it looked okay for the first time I did it but it says to do it twice. And the second time I ch 3 and inserted hook in ring, it didn't look right to me. 

And when it says to draw though all 5 loops on hook, does it mean the original 5 chs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Judi

5 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!

First off, you only repeat the part in parentheses. So chain 3 to get started, then do the part in parentheses twice. Don't chain three again. Then move on to the part between the asterisks and do just that part six times.

Insert hook in ring means exactly what it says....go into the ring, not into any of the chains.

Welcome to Crochetville!

It sounds like you might still be a bit confused.  When I get confused, it helps me to write it out in detail.

First, I'm going to guess that you've only done flat projects.  For flat crochet, you start with a foundation and crochet into those stitches.  For round projects, you start with a ring.  The first round is done by crocheting into the ring, instead of stitches.  There are multiple ways to create a ring.  Making a few chains and joining them together with a slip stitch is one way.  If you find that the ring is too small (stitches won't fit) or too big (stitches don't make it all the way around), you can adjust the size by adding or subtracting a chain or two.  The number of chains don't matter much, because you're not crocheting into them.  You can also start with an adjustable ring, like the Magic Ring, or by making 2 chains and crocheting all of your round 1 stitches in the first chain.  It expands as you add stitches.  The advantage of an adjustable ring is that you can make the center hole as big or small as you like.

Okay, now for writing out the details of round 1 ....

Rnd 1: Ch3, (YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop) twice, YO and draw through all 5 loops on hook, ch 2,

*(YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop) 3 times, YO and draw through all 7 loops on hook, ch 2; repeat from

* 6 times more; join with slip st to first st: 8 ch-2 sps.

1. Chain 3 to get the height of a dc stitch
  2. YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop (3 loops on the hook - original loop + YO + loop pulled up)
  3. YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop (5 loops on the hook - + YO + loop pulled up)
  4. YO and pull through the 5 loops on the hook
  5. Chain 2 to make a ch-2 space
  6. YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop (3 loops on the hook)
  7. YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop (5 loops on the hook)
  8. YO, insert hook in ring and pull up a loop (7 loops on the hook)
  9. YO and pull through the 7 loops on the hook
  10. Chain 2 to make a ch-2 space
  11. Repeat steps 6.-10. another 6 times.
  12. Slip stitch to the top of the chain 3 made is step 1.

8 puff stitches and 8 ch-2 spaces made.

I hope this helps!

Archived