Mountain Made

Knitting a lot slower than crochet?

Hey all, I've been working on a knitted pattern hat and it's my fifth? knitted project and it is taking days to complete. Does knitting ever get faster, or is it just the price you pay to sometimes have projects work a certain way? (I've been crocheting for years and never had a hat take anywhere near this long) I'm using Caron Simply Soft and a size 7 needle. Is there any way to get faster besides practice?

Thanks!

I am a long time crocheter and have only dabbled in knitting.  My knitting is excruciatingly SLOW.  I've asked a lot of people this same question.  The answers I got varied widely.  It seems to be that whichever craft was learned first is the faster one.  Some that have been doing both for a long time say that they're the about the same amount of time.  Which leads me to believe that practice is the only way to get faster.

I learned to knit first, so I am a long time knitter and a self taught Crocheter. 

I found that while you can get bored easier, knitting goes a little faster for me.

Knitting is slower for me and I also learned crochet first. I knit Continental, so it isn't a huge difference, but crochet is my go-to when I need something fast.

I noticed on t v's Create, the person uses a different style.  I think it is European.  It looks a lot faster, if you are game to learn it.

I did a little swatch experiment and found that garter and sc took the same amount of yarn to make the same size swatch, but the garter took 3x as many stitches!  That really surprised me.  So even if you make 1 sc stitch at the same speed as a knit stitch, you have to make more knit stitches to make a finished (garter) piece the same size...so your progress would seem slower.

I knit continental combined (western knits, eastern purls) and I find it easier on my wrists and hands than crochet now that I'm older and creakier ;) .  I would say I make 1 knit or purl stitch faster than 1 sc (sc has more hand motions), and certainly 1 dc, but I don't consider myself an especially speedy knitter.  Just looking at someone knitting 'English' style makes my hands hurt--there seems to be so much motion (however, the fastest knitter record holder uses this technique, and I'm not knocking it--if it works, great!). Some people call continental combined knitting 'lazy knitting' or 'lazy purling', I just think it's more efficient.  You have to pay a little more attention to the stitch mounts, but I have found that to be an asset because alternate stitch mounts 'tell you what to do' in many stitch patterns, so you may not have have to look at the directions or count as much.