New to crochet and need Help asap please

I don't understand round 5 on the pattern for a bag that is said to be an easy pattern I have added a photo of the pattern in the hope someone can help. I have the right number of stiches up to round 4 but round 5 just doesn't make sense to me and I have tried every way I can but it just doesn't work out right. Please please Help me

I am so sorry I don't know these things as this is the first time I have ever post on a forum.

Hi Lorraine, welcome to the ville!

you  may want to review the site guidelines in the Town Hall section; we are not supposed to post photos of patterns.

the best thing would be to type out the instructions for round 4 and round 5 in your post.   then we can try to help you.  it also is helpful to know what exactly is wrong, how it is not working out for you.  also its helpful to post the name  of the pattern and title of book/magazine it is in.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

I agree with Kathy that you need to remove the picture of the pattern ASAP.  It violates copyright rules.  You can post a link to where you found the pattern, if it's online.  If it's in a book/magazine, then tell us the name of the pattern and book/magazine.  It's okay to type the confusing row/round and 1-2 rows/rounds before the confusing one.  Any detail that you can give us on what is confusing helps us to help you.  The last thing you need to know is you posted in the introduction section.  You're going to get a lot of hellos in this section.  The best place to post for help is in the General Help section or Stitch Help section.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to help you.  I see that the pattern is in UK terms, rather than US terms. If you don't know the difference, please click HERE.  You said that you're new to crochet.  Have you worked from a pattern before?  Was it in US or UK terms?

It helps to write out a confusing pattern instruction.  I'm going to write out round 5 in UK terms.  (If you need US terms, let me know and I'll redo it in US terms.)

Round 4 has 92 stitches.

Round 5: ch5 (counts as 1st tr, 2ch space), skip nest 2tr sts, tr in next st, (ch 4, skip the next 3 tr sts, tr in next st) repeat 22 times, ch2, sl st in to 3rd ch st to join, 23 sts and 24 ch spaces.

1. Chain 5 (This counts as doing a TR and a 2 chain space.)
  2. Skip 2 TR stitches
  3. TR in next stitch
  4. Chain 4
  5. Skip 3 TR stitches
  6. TR in next stitch
  7. Repeat steps 4-6 around.  You will do 4-6 a total of 22 times to get the whole way around.
  8. Chain 2
  9. Slip Stitch in the the 3rd chain from step 1.

When you are done, count your stitches and chain spaces.  You should have 23 TR stitches + the first 3 chains in step 1 for 24 stitches.  You should also have 24 chain spaces between the stitches.

If your count around isn't coming out right, here's the count:

Steps 1-3 = 4 of round 4's stitches.  Steps 4-6 = 4 of round 4's stitches * 22.  4 + (4 * 23) = 92.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived