Ch 1 does not count as stitch (pattern help)

Christiana0115

Question

Hi, I'm new to crocheting and I'm trying out this baby blanket pattern. My pattern says at the end of row 1 to turn my work. And for the second row, "Row 2 – ch 1 {does not count as st}, 1 dc in first st, *skip 3 sts, 5 tr in next st {makes a shell}, skip 3 sts, 1 dc in next st; repeat from * to end".

Does this mean I chain 4 for the treble, then an extra chain on top of that when beginning the next row? And when it says " 1 dc in the first stitch", does it mean the first stitch from the hook?

10 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

whenever you start a new row, you need to make what is called "turning chain".  this gets you up to the height you need for the following stitches.  sometimes the turning chain counts as a stitch and sometimes it doesn't.  here you do a chain 1, then in the very first stitch of the previous row you make a dc.  if the turning chain counted as a stitch you normally would make the next stitch in the second st of previous row.  

i don't understand your question "Does this mean I chain 4 for the treble, then an extra chain on top of that when beginning the next row? "  (i don't know what tr you mean) but the answer is no, you don't do that.  just do exactly what the pattern says.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

I'm not sure what you mean by chain 4 for the treble and then an extra chain on top of that.  Your last instruction for the previous row should be a stitch, most likely an sc or dc and then a turn.  The chain 1 at the beginning of row 2 is called the "turning chain."  The standard way to do this is to chain 3 and have it count as a dc.  However, some designers do the turning chain differently.  Your pattern calls for doing a single chain for the turning chain, then do a dc in the top of the last stitch you made in row 1.

:waving @ Kathy! 

ETA: I think writing it out may help.  I don't know what the pattern had you do in row 1, but for the following I'm going to assume that row 1 was all sc stitches.  Let's say it was 17 sc stitches.  The numbers in the following refer to the stitch count in row 1.  Number 1. is the last (17th) stitch in row 1.

1.  Chain 1 (ignore this chain after making it.) DC
  2. Skip
  3. skip
  4. skip
  5. 5 TR stitches
  6. skip
  7. skip
  8. skip
  9. DC
  10. skip
  11. skip
  12. skip
  13. 5 TR stitches
  14. skip
  15. skip
  16. skip
  17. DC

I just saw that the pattern is in UK terms.  Do you normally crochet using UK or US terms?  The answer I gave above is in UK terms!

If you know UK terms, then ignore what I'm going to type next.  If you know US terms, then you need to convert.  When the pattern says do a DC, that means you do an SC.  When the pattern says do a TR, that means you do a DC.

Then this is row 2 written out.  Let's say it was 17 sc stitches.  (The first row is actually 169 sc stitches.)  The numbers in the following refer to the stitch count in row 1.  Number 1. is the last (17th) stitch in row 1.

1.  Chain 1 (ignore this chain after making it.) SC
  2. Skip
  3. skip
  4. skip
  5. 5 DC stitches
  6. skip
  7. skip
  8. skip
  9. SC
  10. skip
  11. skip
  12. skip
  13. 5 DC stitches
  14. skip
  15. skip
  16. skip
  17. SC

Thanks for the tip! I've done both. Like I said, I'm new, but I think I'm going to use US terms

Something about the way you say "but I think I'm going to use US terms" is bothering me.  It isn't a choice of stitches.  When a UK pattern says "DC", it means that you make an SC.  The British don't use the term SC.  So, their DC is the exact same stitch as the US SC.  Same thing for the UK "TR", it means make a US DC. 

So, for the first row every stitch is insert hook, yarn over, draw through a loop, yarn over, draw through both loops on the hook.  On the second row, the first stitch is insert hook, yarn over, draw through a loop, yarn over, draw through both loops on the hook.  The 5 stitches in the shell are each yarn over ONCE, insert hook, yarn over, draw through a loop, yarn over draw through 2 loops on the hook, yarn over, draw through 2 loops on the hook.  There are no other interpretations or choices.

I hope this helps!

Archived