Paintbox yarn... 10 skeins, what to do with it?

CiCi24

Question

Hi everyone. Im stuck.... i got excited when i saw some yarn. I purchased the bundle of 10 skeins. And now I have no idea what to do with it. Lol

Its the Paintbox dk yarn and each is 302 yds.

I think id be happy if i could create a blanket for my 17 yr old daughter. Id love to do a chevron or granny squares to make a blanket, or v stitch. How do i plan out a project? Any advice would be SO great.

Im sorry im such a newbie. :)

post-78599-0-04872500-1488383037_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

I never heard of that temperature Afghan. That is so cool! That's another idea!

And yes adding rows of white is a Great idea as well! With all the great ideas I want to try them all! Another excuse to get more yarn! ????

Instead of planning something, what about a temperature afghan?  When you run out of a color, you can pick up another.  It won't matter that it isn't the same dye lot, because it wouldn't be next to the first of that color.  You can chose which color you want for each temperature range.  It doesn't have to match a chart.

To the OP's question in post 8, I think the 'granny ripple' pattern I linked would take about the same amount of yarn as granny squares, since it's essentially the same stitch pattern--just arranged in rows rather than squares.  

A larger hook, taller stitches, more open stitch pattern as mentioned above will 'stretch' the yarn to cover more territory, but not a lot.  Also if you want to to do squares, you'd use (slightly) less yarn by joining as you go than sewing/crocheting them together at the end.

Thank you so much. That helps a lot. I think its best to just buy more yarn. Id hate to make something based on limited amount of yarn i have. I rather purchase more and make something nice :)

I will definitely look for a join as you go pattern as well.

I appreciate everyone helping me out!

To the OP's question in post 8, I think the 'granny ripple' pattern I linked would take about the same amount of yarn as granny squares, since it's essentially the same stitch pattern--just arranged in rows rather than squares.  

A larger hook, taller stitches, more open stitch pattern as mentioned above will 'stretch' the yarn to cover more territory, but not a lot.  Also if you want to to do squares, you'd use (slightly) less yarn by joining as you go than sewing/crocheting them together at the end.

don't feel bad, i bet we have all done the same thing, i know I have!  

there are so many granny square patterns to choose from.  a lot do use large amount of yarn but a more open square will use less.  either plan to do join as you go, or be sure to save enough yarn to seam them together.  again you could get more skeins of one of the neutral colors to border and seam/join them.

Its a bit funny being new to crochet. I tried for the first time to read a pattern. It was for a real pretty daisy wheel granny square. I just assumed treble and all thenother uk abbreviations would be easy to figure out. I was so wrong. Lol so i made up my own and it was actually pretty fun. Ive practiced making granny squares but joining is a whole new ballgame for me.

Thank you Sooooo much for your help! Im going to use all this advice and figure out what to do. I think i will definitely purchase more neutral skeins. This is exciting to me! Lol

Omg... me too! I thought "Yes i have 3000 yds of yarn, The things i could make". Come to find out its not much

If i made small granny squares would that use up lots of yarn? Wha S the best way to stretch out 3000 yds worth of dk yarn?

don't feel bad, i bet we have all done the same thing, i know I have!  

there are so many granny square patterns to choose from.  a lot do use large amount of yarn but a more open square will use less.  either plan to do join as you go, or be sure to save enough yarn to seam them together.  again you could get more skeins of one of the neutral colors to border and seam/join them.  

here's a Ravelry search for dk wt throws using 2800 to 3020 yds of dk weight http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&craft=crochet&yardage=2800%7C3020&weight=dk&sort=best&pc=throw

for greatest flexibility patternwise you might want to get some more of the white like Granny Square suggested, and the beige, to put in between the bright colors.  

Also you don't necessarily have to plan it out in advance, the one in my avatar is randomly striped.   you can just start out making it as wide as you want, add as many rows as you can, then when you run out of yarn, declare it finished!  

I made this one with rainbow colors and I love it. I keep it handy on my ottoman and everyone that sees it wants to claim it.

This is the pattern I use for a C2C and as Granny Square mentioned, for a throw or afghan, you may need to purchase more yarn. I used different leftover yarns in different weights, mostly 3 and 4 weight. I posted the yarn types in post #6 of that thread.

Omg... me too! I thought "Yes i have 3000 yds of yarn, The things i could make". Come to find out its not much

If i made small granny squares would that use up lots of yarn? Wha S the best way to stretch out 3000 yds worth of dk yarn?

oh gosh, and here i thought 3000 yds sounded like a lot!   

hmmm, maybe a stitch pattern that has some openwork rows in between the solid rows would stretch it enough?  i know i have seen such.  will post if i find one.  

I'm looking at patterns, 3020 yards seems to be slightly on the smaller end, mostly finding baby blankets or lapghan size in that yardage range.

Maybe if you got another couple of skeins of white of either the same yarn/dyelot or another that is a close match, you can stretch it a bit; if you put a color A stripe between  2 mis-matched-but-close white stripes, the mismatch is hard to spot because your eye is distracted by color A.

Her is a sort of combo granny/ripple in DK weight, that shows the sizes and yardage needed for each size

http://stitcheryprojects.com/2015/10/27/little-checks-ripple-blanket/

Charis.... this is so helpful! Omg i didnt know this generator existed. Lol The things I learn on here!

Thank you so much... I'm headed to ravelry right now! I've never done a chevron and I'm sort of excited to look into that.

Thanks again

Very pretty yarn! To plan, I would look at a few patterns in dk weight to get an idea of yardage needed. Ravelry has a huge database of patterns so that's where I would search. Just looking at the colors I think it would look great in a chevron pattern.

Archived