judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Hi ladies. cold here and lots of snow on the ground.  The grandkids came by this afternoon to go sledding.

I actually finished one of my UFOs!  It’s a knit baby surprise sweater.  It just needed to have the sleeves sewn together, a single crochet row around the neck and 5 buttons sewn  on.  (I will get a picture in daylight, hopefully tomorrow.)  I probably won’t ever make another one. It took me forever!  I also finished one of my mother in laws projects, but it was just a dishcloth.  

I have put all my WIPs on a shelf and. I plan to work on them and get at least some of them finished. I’m embarrassed to say that even after frogging some and throwing away a few, there are still at least 15, mostly crochet, but a couple of knit projects as well.  Plus, it is quite likely that more will surface......

Things seem to be settling down for a bit here.  Dd is pretty much settled into her new house and although she still technically has possession of her condo, she gave the keys to the buyer on Saturday.  BIL was hospitalized for chemo again last week, but was discharged yesterday and may be in remission.  He is still debating the pros and cons of a stem cell transplant.  Who knows....I might even find time to grocery shop this week!

• Like 1

Good morning everyone!

New here. I love reading all your posts! This winter is weird here in NH, but since there is only 3 inches of snow on the ground I won't complain! I know that Feb will wallop us. It always does. 

So a little about me: I work in a hospital lab, sort of in charge of chemistry, though I do have a manager above me. We just got a new instrument for testing auto-immune diseases and such. Today will be testing the tests themselves to see if when I order them in our lab information system (LIS), if the instrument recognizes the test order on the bar code, and then sends the result back to the LIS. 

My two DDs have another day off of school today. Hopefully they won't kill each other while DH and I are working.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NeutralGround said:

Good morning everyone!

New here. I love reading all your posts! This winter is weird here in NH, but since there is only 3 inches of snow on the ground I won't complain! I know that Feb will wallop us. It always does. 

So a little about me: I work in a hospital lab, sort of in charge of chemistry, though I do have a manager above me. We just got a new instrument for testing auto-immune diseases and such. Today will be testing the tests themselves to see if when I order them in our lab information system (LIS), if the instrument recognizes the test order on the bar code, and then sends the result back to the LIS. 

My two DDs have another day off of school today. Hopefully they won't kill each other while DH and I are working.

Welcome. What are you working on?

9 hours ago, NeutralGround said:

Good morning everyone!

Welcome!  I worked in a hospital lab for 20+ years (but 20 years ago).  Like you I also worked chemistry.  I worked all of Chem dept but somehow I inherited the responsibility of watching over Special Chem-----the ordering, maintenance, QC, etc for Special Chem.  A group of us that worked there just got together a few weeks ago.  Sadly the pathologist we had been with for so many years passed away and his funeral was the morning before our party so we started the evening off with glasses held high and a toast to Dr. B.  He was 90 years old. I started working with him 

What kind of crochet projects do you like working on?  I like making ministockings for a group that fills them to distribute to active military at Christmas.  I have made scarves, hats, afghans, and a lot of potholders.  We enjoy seeing what everyone makes.  

2 hours ago, Gardener said:

Here is the completed baby surprise sweater. 

image.jpg

Cindy nice sweater.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bgs said:

Welcome!  I worked in a hospital lab for 20+ years (but 20 years ago).  Like you I also worked chemistry.  I worked all of Chem dept but somehow I inherited the responsibility of watching over Special Chem-----the ordering, maintenance, QC, etc for Special Chem.  A group of us that worked there just got together a few weeks ago.  Sadly the pathologist we had been with for so many years passed away and his funeral was the morning before our party so we started the evening off with glasses held high and a toast to Dr. B.  He was 90 years old. I started working with him 

What kind of crochet projects do you like working on?  I like making ministockings for a group that fills them to distribute to active military at Christmas.  I have made scarves, hats, afghans, and a lot of potholders.  We enjoy seeing what everyone makes.  

I'm working on some Warm Up America rectangles.

I finished this prayer shawl last night.

• Like 3

Brenda, that is a really nice prayer shawl! 

Yesterday's testing at work was productive in the fact that I got to order every test we would do on the new instrument, and run a few of them.  Still a lot of issues to work through, but tomorrow I will work one on one with someone from the Lab Information System group. I am hoping to finish that project tomorrow and be able to start working on clinical content. 

I worked on a rectangle for WAU and frogged it for the third time. It really was just too wide.  By the time I went to bed, I had finished everything I frogged and made a little progress. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NeutralGround said:

Brenda, that is a really nice prayer shawl! 

Yesterday's testing at work was productive in the fact that I got to order every test we would do on the new instrument, and run a few of them.  Still a lot of issues to work through, but tomorrow I will work one on one with someone from the Lab Information System group. I am hoping to finish that project tomorrow and be able to start working on clinical content. 

I worked on a rectangle for WAU and frogged it for the third time. It really was just too wide.  By the time I went to bed, I had finished everything I frogged and made a little progress. 

Thank you.

So much work setting up new equipment and getting systems communicating properly with each other. 

I made rectangles for WAU a long time ago and found it challenging making them the right size.  

Edited by bgs

6 hours ago, bgs said:

Thank you.

So much work setting up new equipment and getting systems communicating properly with each other. 

I made rectangles for WAU a long time ago and found it challenging making them the right size.  

Making them the right size has been a headache for me...I start out at the right size and my edges are fine, but somehow a few rows in I check again and it's too big.

Hello everyone! Welcome to the group, NeutralGround!

I love the sweater, Cindy! Really cute.

Brenda, nice shawl--the colors work well in your layout.

I am so ready for a normal week. DH had two apts this week so two 3 hour round trips. Still getting information to and from the insurance companies on the storm damage. Paid property taxes today. Wrote a letter to go with an AFLAC claim dispute. Phone calls trying to get paperwork started for DIL to adopt her nephew. More calls trying to get our email working after the provider migrated it to a new server. Washing clothes so we can go to a hamfest tomorrow. It's just overnight so not even gone long enough to really have any relaxation time. My brain is throwing its little hands up and saying enough already. LOL

It was cold earlier this week and now it's raining--nasty all week. Looking forward to a sunny Sunday. Off to drink a Coke and have a snack before the grands get here.

Welcome, Neutral Ground! 

My name is Judy - and I gave up on trying to make rectangles for WUA. I could never get them the right size. Now I make beanies and blankets for the NICU where my neighbor works, as well as christening blankets for my church, among other things.

A small blanket for the NICU. Lots of times they use them to cover the isolettes. I was gifted lots of different colors from a couple of sweet ladies. These are most of the purples. Next ones will be yellow, gold, etc. I used the cozy stripe pattern from Attic24.

IMG_20200126_120809_181.jpg

• Like 2

Nice NICU blanket Judy.  Glad to hear I wasnt the only one struggling to get WUA squares the right size.  Like you I moved on and found other charities to support.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Hi everyone! I started blocking the rectangles I've made so far. My plan for this year was to do a rectangle a week, and so far I am up to 15 rectangles.I am thinking of taking a break from it. I'm debating on taking out my grandmother's steel hooks and making a doily, or starting a block a month CAL for DD#2.

I have some pretty thread waiting for my attention, also...

On 1/30/2020 at 4:58 AM, NeutralGround said:

Hi everyone! I started blocking the rectangles I've made so far. My plan for this year was to do a rectangle a week, and so far I am up to 15 rectangles.I am thinking of taking a break from it. I'm debating on taking out my grandmother's steel hooks and making a doily, or starting a block a month CAL for DD#2.

Meanwhile,  I used some more of the odds and ends I was gifted to make beanies for the NICU.  I used E through G hooks.

IMG_20200131_072653_308.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, judianne said:

I have some pretty thread waiting for my attention, also...

Meanwhile,  I used some more of the odds and ends I was gifted to make beanies for the NICU.  I used E through G hooks.

IMG_20200131_072653_308.jpg

They are beautiful hats and they will be going to happy babies.  I still have the box of balls of yarn.  Life got in the way and I never mailed it to you.  If you still want the balls please IM me with your address and since it is on my mind I will gladly send it to you.

• Like 1

Judy, cute hats. Such a good use of odds and ends.

I finally got started on the second baby blanket that I need before Feb is over. Made a couple of scarves. Got in the first yarn pack for the dahlia blanket. Not sure when I'll get to it since I have another blanket started already. I love the colors.  Just looked back and dahlia had been auto corrected to eagles!?!?

Today is the day to tackle the Christmas decorations that still haven't been put up. I can't believe it's the end of January and I haven't gotten it done yet.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

NeutralGround a doily or block a month sounds like a good diversion.  I wonder why WUA decided they wanted rectangles over squares.  I find it so much easier hitting the right size with squares.

Judy nice batch of hats.

Mona this year I only got out our Christmas stockings, plush Snoopy with a Santa hat, my mom's ceramic trees with lights, and a few snowmen.  I got them out late and am not in a big hurry to put them away as the trees and snowmen to my way of thinking are perfectly acceptable for Jan/winter.  Sometimes I leave a small "Christmas" thing or two out year round just because it makes me happy.  If I had the space I would have a room set aside and filled with Christmas year round.  

I have started on ministockings for W4W.  If only I had mailed off the ones I had completed just as we were moving they would have hit 4000.  

• Like 1

Hi ladies. Hope you are all well. I am still working on my UFOs but no more finishes.

Judy, those are cute hats. Looks like a good way to use up yarn and give you a sense of accomplishment

no thread for this girl....although I wish I could crochet with it.  Those little hooks give me terrible hand cramps.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 3:22 PM, bgs said:

NeutralGround a doily or block a month sounds like a good diversion.  I wonder why WUA decided they wanted rectangles over squares.  I find it so much easier hitting the right size with squares.

I agree with squares! It would have made it so much easier.

I did indeed pull out my grandmother's steel hook and make a fan bookmark from my favorite pattern by Crochetroo. I am thinking of selling these and sending the money to help with the Austrailian bushfires.

steelhook.jpg

fanbookmark.jpg

• Like 1

Just wanted to say "Hello" to everyone!

The bookmark is very pretty, NeutralGround!

No apts this week, but still a busy one. Temps up and down, rain here, gone, and headed back. Typical winter in Mississippi. The check is in the mail for one insurance claim and still getting estimates for the other. I've been able to get some crocheting in. Should finish the baby blanket this weekend that I need for a shower next weekend. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

NeutralGround love that bookmark.  Its on my neverending to do list.  I hadnt thought about Crochetroo for a long time.

Staying busy between activities here and sorting through things.  Last Sat was our first bonsai meeting.  Afterwards some of us went to lunch.  When we got back I finally got in the pool at the aqua center.  Sun we went to church.  One couple was there with their 3 week old daughter and they were all wearing "My 1st Chiefs Super Bowl" shirts.  After church we stopped for lunch and picked up some things at Menards.  That evening we went to the Super Bowl party here at the senior complex.   I cant believe how much food they had.  Several left after eating.  Then people kept trickling out until about 50 of us were left for the finish.  The staff kept going around checking to see if everyone was ok.  They guy at our table took a photo of the room and sent it saying your mom and grandma are the ones in the red with white hair ( at least 200 fit that description).  That Sun it was warmer here than in Miami.  Wed it was in 20's and spitting snow.  

Niece came by this afternoon and we went shopping.  I got dh a Super Bowl cap and he got me a shirt for Valentine's day.  Stopped for pizza.  Tomorrow afternoon dh is playing mountain dulcimer with others at a Chocolate Festival.  

• Like 1

Hi ladies. Nothing much to report here.  I have worked a bit on a scarf, and on DDs afghan, but life keeps getting in the way.   Dhs youngest brother is being worked up for a stem cell transplant and they expect family to come to a lot of his appointments.  

I went shopping today with my daughter. Now shopping is pretty low on my list of fun things to do, so I never go to the mall. Well today I walked around the mall. My back is really upset!  I feel like I worked a twelve hour shift!  I did buy a pair of shoes and a dress.  I resisted yarn and fabric!

hope you are all doing well.

• Like 1