judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Marlene, you've really had a stressful year! Praying things settle down for you in the new year.

Hoping for a quieter week than last week. DH has an eye apt today and chemo Thursday. I hope to get the tree down tomorrow. I've been having sciatica the last few days but it's doing better today. I started an afghan kit last night. It called me and said to ignore all those wip's and come play with it.

DS's whole family has been sick-- finally ended up at the Dr yesterday. Two shots and 11 prescriptions so hopefully they'll be on the mend now.

Hoping for some sun today after several rainy days.

Hope everyone is well and has a good end to the year!

• Like 1

Happy New Year to all.  My pillow project is still on hold. Not ready to focus on the appliqués. Instead dh an I are into organizing cabinet junk(mainly clean out). Dh organizing all his tools and straightening up the barn. Replaced a bathroom floor and put waterproof laminated flooring over that.  I’m still working on the yarn stash and pattern stash. Glad that life is beginning to normalize for you Brenda. 

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone!

Lets see dh is now on a bowling team to help them have enough people on a team to finish their season.  I received a Christmas card with a slip of paper saying "lunch planned" with date, time and place but no other info from lady I worked with 30 some years ago.  No other info and I no longer had her phone #.  We decided to be adventurous and show up.  If I didnt recognize anyone we have been wanting to eat there anyway.  Five ladies I used to work with showed up.  That was Sat.  Sun we drove out to our old church.  Mon we went out to breakfast with another lady I worked with and her dh.  She and I are nearly neighbors now.  We toured their home.  They are a bit older than us and stayed huge on the house (3 car garage 5 bathroom huge) where we went small.  After they told us all the work they have done there and what all they need to do I was glad for small with maintenance on speed dial.  Took us all afternoon to do a group text for the get together tonight.

Tues dh took suv into shop.  Dash board decided to go dead.  Thankfully a reset fixed it.  I went over and offered my hands to prayer shawl group.  Tues evening we had dinner and dh stayed to play cards across the street.  Wed we went out for late lunch Chinese.  Thurs dh bowls.  I walked around golf course.  This morning dh had a meeting at fitness center.  Then we had a visitation to attend-----all of us at the get together this evening worked with him for many years many years ago.  

• Like 2

Wow, Brenda, y'all have lots going on! It's great that you are reconnecting with old friends.

Diana, sounds like you're making great progress on your projects. I badly need to do a lot of reorganizing/throwing away. It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since my sister died. She was a borderline hoarder and I said then that I was going to throw away some of the junk that we've collected over the years. Sadly, it hasn't happened.

With the holidays and going to DH's chemo on a different day of the week the last two weeks, I can't keep up with what day it is. Next week we go to Little Rock for his retesting, so it won't be any better then either. I haven't gotten started on putting away Christmas decorations, but I'm not going to worry about it. It'll get done when it gets done.

Hope everyone is staying well!

On 1/3/2020 at 5:52 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Diana, sounds like you're making great progress on your projects. I badly need to do a lot of reorganizing/throwing away. It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since my sister died. She was a borderline hoarder and I said then that I was going to throw away some of the junk that we've collected over the years. Sadly, it hasn't happened.

I haven’t figured out how to change color of the text so bold it is  It really helps that dh is energized at the moment 🙂  Alot of the stuff is his accumulation.  I cleaned up the spice cabinet and organized what I use most to the front.  Paperwork filing cabinet is still waiting.

With the holidays and going to DH's chemo on a different day of the week the last two weeks, I can't keep up with what day it is. Next week we go to Little Rock for his retesting, so it won't be any better then either. I haven't gotten started on putting away Christmas decorations, but I'm not going to worry about it. It'll get done when it gets done.

Totally understandable, decorations can wait.

Hope everyone is staying well!

I've come to whine again. Lots to do today--leaving tomorrow for Little Rock. Credit card company calls today. We have fraudulent charges, so the card's cancelled and I'm trying to remember all the places that I have to contact with new card info. Thanks goodness we have another card to use on the trip. And thank goodness the credit card company is so good at catching fraud.

• Like 1

Diana I dont think (or have yet to find) you have the option to change font color on the mobile version.

Mona it is hard to get much done when you have to spend so much time on the road.  If we were still at old place it would have been hard going to the visitation that morning and party that night.  It would have meant 4 hours on road going back and forth or else hanging out somewhere for 4 hours and figuring party food that would work.  Sorry about the credit card but like you said glad they caught it and glad you have another to use.

Yesterday morning we went to the neighborhood brunch/meeting.  We met some people.  Need to learn more about it like what is their purpose. Who ever does that was not there.   They have officers and dues.  We wont be able to attend over half their meetings because of dulcimer club and bonsai.  I walked over to check out  the aquacenter. This morning we drove out to our old church.  Dont really want to look for a new one.  Stopped out there at our favorite restaurant.  On way back stopped off at genealogy library to update our info.  Yesterday afternoon dh went over to check out the ping pong group.  They only meet on Sat afternoon. Any other time you can play so dh and I practiced today.  Our goal was just to keep the ball going back and forth for as long as we could.  Neither of us had ever played much so we need lots of practice.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I've come to whine again. Lots to do today--leaving tomorrow for Little Rock. Credit card company calls today. We have fraudulent charges, so the card's cancelled and I'm trying to remember all the places that I have to contact with new card info. Thanks goodness we have another card to use on the trip. And thank goodness the credit card company is so good at catching fraud.

In our house we say...always something else as we anticipate what might happen next. 😝. Glad it was caught and hopefully u can remember who to contact 📋

Hi peeps!

On 1/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

That has happened to us a lot ...it's gotten so I keep  a list of which bank card we use for automatic payments, etc...  I hope you have it all straightened out now!

Posted (edited)

Around Christmas I began crocheting christening blankets again...  All free patterns, and left to right: a pattern from Gardner's blog: Peek-A-Boo baby afghan; Drunken Granny (aka, the easiest baby blanket); and Trellis Pattern from Attic24 and the Sweet Peal CAL20200107_140558.jpg

Edited by judianne
  • Like 3

How is everyone doing?

I heard that Michigan was going to get hit with bad ice, etc... We're on our second day of spring - went out for a drive with Lucy and saw lots of people out walking their dogs or taking down Christmas decorations - in shorts and t shirts in some cases!  We're getting strong winds today ahead of the rain storm we're supposed to be getting tonight. More Spring weather for tomorrow.

We had a little too much spring weather this morning. Woke up at 4:30 with horrendous winds and rain then the power went off. Running on the generator now. We have some fairly minor roof damage on the front and DH's tower and antennas ended up on the bedroom roof. A huge tree in DS's yard was uprooted and totalled at least two vehicles. Lots of trees down around town. But the good news is no one was hurt.

I'm ready for a nap now but I've got the grands while they work on clean up.

Hope everyone stays safe in this wild weather!

• Like 1

Chilly 18° here which is a shock to the system after being in the 60's on Thurs (Thurs felt more like tornado weather). Freezing drizzle last night. Heavy snow this morning.  Just staying inside and watching snow plows working the streets and the atv with the blade cleaning sidewalks and driveways.  Decided to make a pot of chili.  Havent cooked much yet in this kitchen.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

The other side of town has power but we're still running the generator. We were without power for a week during the '94 ice storm but I don't remember it being this much work. I'm too tired to crochet or read and my phone is being wonky so I can't even watch a show. I've had the grands some part of the last three days. Today we've had a couple of guys start cleaning up limbs. Talked to the house insurance adjustor and now waiting on the inspector. The roof people  came by this afternoon and secured the part that would leak--rain is in the forecast all this week. Waiting to hear from the adjustor for DH's office-- got pictures taken this morning.

Going to DH's apt tomorrow. He got so-so results last week and is changing to all new meds. I was on the phone at length today getting the oral one set up for delivery. Got an apt for him next week to try and figure out the leg pain he's having.

I feel like the old joke about the man who had so many irons in the fire that he put the fire out. LOL Think I'll take a power nap til he's ready for supper.

Life is good! I used the toaster to make my usual peanut butter toast this morning. Started washing clothes. Wi-Fi and land line phone still aren't working and there's lots of clean up to do but having power back makes it all look manageable. LOL

• Like 1

Mona glad things are getting back to normal.  I really really like electricity.  Still remember the week without it from 91 ice storm like it was yesterday.  

Brenda, the only thing I like better than electricity is water. LOL

The wi-fi is finally back on too. I've taken a quiet day today, just washed some clothes and little piddly stuff. It's still rainy here, looking forward to some sun, but I think that won't come until Sunday.

Mona I really appreciate  functioning indoor plumbing too.  When our electricity was out I was thankful we were on rural water system and not dependent on the well and needing electricity to operate the pump.  

We have had some warmish days (50ish) but its going to be chilly next few days possibly single digit.  We had a big night out here with the other seniors.  Special evening meal over at Lakeside Grille with wine and a jazz group.  We are so close we walked and were back home by 7:15pm.  Would have been back sooner but in the hallway we wound up behind a lady with a walker. 

Hi ladies. Sorry to be missing.  My mother in law passed away on Thursday ( funeral was yesterday) and my bachelor brother in law, who is newly diagnosed with leukemia, just started going through the work up process for a stem cell transplant.  This will require a huge time commitment from the entire family. I’m not sure that I’m up for it, but it is what it is. Just for starters we need to go through at least six hours of various appointments. Hopefully one of his brothers will be a match, which again, will require many hours, not to mention a lot of discomfort. He will require 24/7 supervision for at least 4 weeks after discharge.  Those people will need to learn how to change the dressing on his central line, and a whole host of other things. I obviously know most of these things, (all the nurses in the ICU that I worked in were stem cell transplant certified), but I am not going to volunteer to be the primary care giver.  I just don’t have the energy for it at the moment.  He has four siblings but I’m pretty certain that the responsibility will fall on my hubby and his next younger brother.  Hubby’s sister has already said that she isn’t helping and his oldest brother will be willing to help, but he is not in the best of shape himself.

Hello everyone! Awake earlier than I wanted to be this morning.

Brenda, the jazz group sounds like fun.

Cindy, so sorry for your loss! Hopefully your BIL  will find a match quickly. It always seems like in any family or group a few end up doing most of the work. I'm sure the medical duties can be intimidating for the ones not familiar with it, but I hope they'll step up and do their part.

We've been enjoying some nice temps but rainy. Headed to colder ones first of the week.

I hope to finally get some crocheting in today. I haven't had energy and inclination at the same time this week. 

• Like 1

Cindy, I can appreciate you not wanting the responsibility for your bil. You've had so much going on since you retired...hugs, sweetie. 

Miss seeing Mary here....

• Like 1

23 beanies for the NICU.  Used lightweight colorful yarn for some, called KAI. 

20200116_112233.jpg

• Like 1

Judy such a busy bee. Such a nice bunch of hats. I am trying to get crocheting again.  I joined some squares I already had on hand for two doll blankets and started a prayer shawl.  Still need to find a chair but I figure getting up from sitting on the floor is good exercise.

Cindy my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your mil.  Sorry about your bil. It is a really tough situation on so many levels for all involved.  :hug

Hi peeps.

22 hours ago, bgs said:

Judy such a busy bee. Such a nice bunch of hats. Thank you! I am trying to get crocheting again.  I joined some squares I already had on hand for two doll blankets and started a prayer shawl.  Still need to find a chair but I figure getting up from sitting on the floor is good exercise. I get bored way too easily...which is why I like the smaller projects, esp with nice colors, even as I work on christening blankets.

Do you have a cushy pillow to sit on when you're on the floor? I have to have good back support when I'm on the floor - which isn't often, these days.

Cindy my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your mil.  Sorry about your bil. It is a really tough situation on so many levels for all involved.  :hug

16 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Judy, such cute hats! Love the colors.

Thanks! I love non traditional colors for baby hats. I could have bought more yarn...next time🤣