judianne

Our House (Part Three)

30 minutes ago, JustDeb said:

Yeah, I guess I keep getting confused by this forum.  So the most recent are at the end?

I have my filters set up so when I get to home page I select an icon and it brings up new posts since my last visit, newest ones first, and then when I go to one it starts with the first new comment.  I had to have Amy help me back when I did it.  I did not realize that in order to save my selections I had to set it up as a new activity stream.  That was a couple of software upgrades back so it may be different now.  I was relieved each time my settings carried over.  

Edited by bgs

Hello House!

It's been busy. We had the pig roast at my parents house on Saturday and the last of the house guests headed out this morning after breakfast.  I've been at the office since and Troy is home doing some housework.  He has the week off and begins his new job next week! :)

That pretty much consumed my life since the end of last week! lol

Judy - Gorgeous ghan and I'm with Cindy...those ends look like a nightmare!  My least favorite part of crocheting!

Brenda - Sounds like you're getting settled finally :)

20 hours ago, bgs said:

Sat we took another load to the new place.  Sis came by and we went to get a new phone and tv.  She also helped me figure out furniture placement ----like our  old computer desk that I was going to take is just too big to fit where it needs to go.  Got back to old home at midnight.  Took more things up Sun and again today.  Today we had an appointment with head of grounds/landscaping.  I had my hand clippers and reached down and asked if I could clip a branch off a bush sticking out in our sidewalk.  He said yes.  Then I asked if it was ok to pick up the sticks laying in yard.  He said yes.  Then I held up the branch and sticks and asked what was I supposed to do with them when I do.  He said leave it along the curb, call in a work order, and they pick it up.  I told him we have bonsai and would like to keep some and they need to be outside in the summer.  Did he have any ideas or suggestions?  Told him what I had left took up about the space where the rose bushes were but not that I was asking for any bushes to be removed.  He said they would remove the roses,  put in little landscape gravel, and a rock border and put in new mulch in other places.  I said I didnt want to be a problem and hated for them to pull the roses.  He was glad to jave a reason to remove the roses and said roses are not doing well and have been a pain because of a disease they are getting and the Japanese beetles.  To be honest when I stopped and looked at things this summer I kept thinking why did I wind up with the ugliest roses around there.  If I want new mulch call in a work order and I can spread it if I want.  I am so tired I can hardly think so I will probably nod off soon.

WOW!!  It sounds like you have a dream of a groundskeeper!!!  He sounded like he was very happy to do things for you!!  

Collette that was the head grounds keeper.  The guy that will oversee the work came too.  Its weird.  Everyone here seems happy to do things for you.  I find myself apologizing and saying I dont want to be a bother but the marketing lady told me to call about..... The maintenance guy said dont feel that way and call anytime we need them to do something. They are here to do for us and if we werent here calling they would not have jobs.  

Today we brought more things up.  Dh brought his golf clubs and some balls.  We are on the 5th hole of a 9 hole course.  I brought up clothes.  I love going back and sitting in the closet.  Today I brought my docking station, printer, keyboard and mouse and hooked it all up.  I put the cords on the new phone and dh put the feet on the new tv.  They will be here Fri afternoon to set up phone internet and tv.  Its also fabulous just having all the bars lit up on my cell as opposed to one or none but after Fri will have Wi-Fi.

Hi friends. :)  I hope everyone is having a good week!

Brenda ~ So glad you're nearly settled in your new home!  What fun to be able to call people who are friendly and wanting to help you.  It sounds like a lovely place. :yes

Marisa ~ You have been busy!  Such good news about Troy's job...and that it didn't take long to find one. :)  Are the turtles okay? 

Hi to Deb and Collette, too.♥

5 more days in September and if the temps don't change, it will be the hottest Sept. on record!  We haven't had rain in over 4 weeks.  Wouldn't you know we have a back yard full of new sod...water bill is larger than the electric bill. :eek

Felix and Tank (DD's kittens) are 6 months old already.  They are still adorable, inseparable and very busy.  I'll try to post a picture soon.

Have a great Thursday.:manyheart

Hello, everyone! I've been trying to keep up with the posts. It seems every time I think I'll have a quieter, slow week, it just doesn't happen. LOL

To our usual Tuesday travels we added an hour trip north to go to Harbor Freight and Sam's Club. Luckily I didn't have the grands that night. But a snake in their house yesterday resulted in the girls being here all afternoon as well as the littlest one for a couple of hours that evening and then the already scheduled sleepover for the girls last night. I'm having some quiet time this afternoon before they're all back again this evening for about 4 hours. Quiet except for washing a load of clothes (DH found out what a melted mess one Jr. Mint can make when you eat in bed and lose one), getting the kitchen straight and the garage out.

The garage door people hopefully come tomorrow and with any luck that's the only thing on our calendar. 

It's still hot here and going to be hotter next week. I think someone forgot to tell Mother Nature that it's fall. We've missed all the scattered rain so it's dry here, too. 

Brenda, so exciting to get moved in and be getting everything set up.

Mary, I understand about the water bill. I forgot the sprinkler one day--all day--and the bill we just got is horrendous instead of the usual I've been watering high.

Marisa, sounds like a really fun weekend. Hope Troy loves the new job.

Mona~I'm so sorry about the snake intrusion...how scary!  It reminded me of when our oldest grandson, Luke, was 2 or 3 and was  happily watching the garbage trucks out our front storm door and I went to check on him.  There was a snake curled up and looking in the door!  Thankfully it was a harmless rat snake and the door was locked tight.  Luke thought it was great and I was a nervous wreck.  Lol 

The pumpkin in my avatar is to remind me that it really is fall - another 96* day today!

Yesterday when we got to the new place the guy was just finishing installing the emergency system and the phone line was on.  I set up the new answering machine and phones but have to keep looking things up in the book. Today when we pulled up the groundskeepers were putting in fresh mulch.  The roses were gone and little gravel in.  There was squirrel damage on the screened in patio so dh called in a work order yesterday.  A guy showed up shortly and filled it in with putty.  The painter was there today to paint it.  Then the guy came today and has our tv and computer set up and connected.  After that we purchased a couple of file cabinets and hauled them back.  

Yesterday friends that we hadnt seen for a few years came by the new place as they are at a nearby campground.   They moved to NC.  from here 17 years ago because of his job.  

Sis is going meet us there tomorrow and help me adjust the kitchen shelves so I can start filling them.

Edited by bgs

Brenda, sounds like you're making great progress. How nice to just be able to call and get things done so quickly.

I keep saying this is the day I'm going to do absolutely nothing. Hopefully it'll happen today. Lol

Good morning housemates!

Another busy week!  Troy ended up off this week and is starting his new job next week now.  He is excited and nervous, but I know he'll be great! Monday he has orientation, which will be remotely from home.  The convenience of working in the tech field!

Last night was our high schools homecoming game and my niece was nominated, so we went to that.  She got first runner up and was super excited since she didn't expect it at all.  Our school does it really strangely...there were 55 nominees!!!  Basically, they have 1 person to represent each club/sport/group and that person has to be on the board of that organization in order to be eligible.  Kind of nice that it's not just the always popular kids that get everything....but, 55 is also kinda crazy!  However, our Averie is Senior Class President.  Tonight is their dance, and I guess that's when they'll announce the guys.  She'll have to dance with the first runner up guy and she fears that it is going to be her ex-boyfriend!  Fingers crossed that it's not, but she is a great person both inside and out so I know she'll be mature about it if it happens....and honestly, I think he would be as well.  Just awkward for them is all.

Today is another niece's 10th birthday party.  We have to stop at WalMart on our way to pick her up a gift....nothing like last minute!  Last weekend when I saw them, we got no direction on a gift.  The invite included information about donation to a college fund set up for her in lieu of a gift.  BUT, you can't show up to a 10 year old's birthday party without bringing something to open!!!!  Ugh!  Anyways, they were out this week shopping and she saw something she wanted and my sister in law wouldn't get it for her then text me a picture. lol  We don't have a convenient WalMart, so on the way to the party it is!

Not much for tomorrow, but in the evening we are going to a local club to see Sebastian Bach play. He was the lead singer for Skid Row. We are 80's rock people. lol

I guess that about covers it!

I hope everyone has  wonderful weekend! :)

• Like 1

Hi Ladies. :)  I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Mona ~ Did you really get to have a "me" day?  I know how hard it is to even crochet for an hour without interruptions. Lol

Brenda ~ Wow!  You all have done so much.  Do you have a date for the final move yet?  You're going to love having wi-fi and also having people available to fix things!

Marisa ~ Being an aunt and uncle is keeping you all busy...sounds fun!  How are your parents doing?  So happy for Troy and he will do great!

Well, the Geek Squad was here again.  I guess twice in a year isn't too bad, considering DH can't see what he's doing on Mac most the time.  Even he laughs about some of the strange things that show up.  Most the time I can clean it up, but I had no idea this time.  Oh well...

Take care, friends. :manyheart

Edited by Skysmom
Can't spell!
  • Like 1

Mary, yes, I got a "me" afternoon. Crocheted, ate some cookies, and then got in a swim before supper. Can't ask for more than that.

'Evening everyone.

Mona ~ Good for you...you deserve some time for yourself! 

I goofed off today and crocheted, ignored my desk and the laundry.  Will be paying for it tomorrow, though. Lol

Good morning house!

This busy weekend is over! My older niece did not have to dance with her ex at the homecoming dance! Yay!  And, my younger niece has a great time at her party :)  Yesterday was a bit of a 'chill' day...or doing some things around the house ;)  We went out last night to see Sebastian Bach and he was great...hasn't lost his vocals. He has quite a silly personality too, which was fun.

Troy has to conference calls today and one meeting.  So, not too bad for a first day.  One of the calls is an orientation call.  The other was really just a sit in and listen call with his partner to get a feel for things.

Have a great Monday! :)

Marisa glad dh found a job right away.  Sounds like you were very busy this weekend.

My days are pretty much the same right now.  Load up the suv and take the stuff somewhere and run errands along the way.  They just blur together.  Sat sis helped me reposition shelving and helped me figure out where to put things.   It wears me out running up and down the road that many days in a row let alone all the loading and unloading.  Its a 60 mile round trip from old place to new place.  Today we decided to not make a run with a load anywhere.  Needed to run to nearby town to get car title from safety deposit box.  Dh's 22 year old car with nearly 500,000 miles is going to be used for extrication practice by fire dept and then hauled off for scrap.  Its been a good old car and passed inspection in April.  Would have given it to a friend of my sister that needs a car but not many people can drive a stick.  

Hi ladies. You know for a retired person, I seem to be awfully busy. I’m hoping that nothing much comes up the rest of the week.  I have barely been here for the past three weeks.  My house needs work, and my pantry is looking naked. We won’t even mention my flower gardens.

Brenda, your new place sounds like a dream.  I know it’s a lot of work, getting moved in and organized but it certainly sounds like it will be worth it.

Marisa, hope Troy really likes his new job.  Sounds like your nieces and nephews keep you busy!  

Mona, hope things slow down for you, and I’m glad you got some me time.

Mary, I’m goofing off this afternoon. I’ve been really tired. I am just too old to be out running around everyday.

Hello, all! 

It's been a looong day, up since 5:30, on the road and then the grands this evening. DH's supper is in the microwave. He's out in the shop visiting with friends. His chemo steroids may keep him awake and not ready to come in and go to bed, but I'm fixing to crash.

Hi peeps! I raced through all the posts...everyone is sure busy!!

We're expecting 90 degrees today - UGH!

Busy finishing a giant granny square in various bright colors...my goddaughter requested it for her parents - not sure if I mentioned it - and then I'm making an FDNY graph ghan for a gift - a request a friend made. She knows I get bored easily...🤣

Later, gators!

Good morning house!

Brenda - It sounds like things are coming along.  It is quite a process to get settled!  Just keep taking one thing at a time so you don't overwhelm yourself too much :)

Cindy - My parents always say "I don't know how people get bored"  They are busier now that they're retired than they were while they were working!  My dad jokes that he needs to go back to work just to get a vacation! LOL

Mona - I hope today is more relaxing for you!

Judy - We are hot and humid today too :(  But, I think it should start to cool down again on the weekend!

Troy is loving his new job, but it's only his 3rd day....we'll see how he feels next month.  It is definitely a change of pace for him, but I think it's going to be a great fit for him once he's settled and past all the onboarding and HR stuff that he has to take care of this week.

As for me, all's well...not much to report on myself! lol

• Like 1

Whew 100degrees today I didn’t stick my head out except to let dog 🐶 in and out.  Been keeping up with the chatter but been busy learning all I can about metal roofing.  Getting estimates and going to compare prices of contractor install and what they use vs something like horizon-lok plus watching grandkids Landline disconnects tomorrow so wanted to use big monitor for all the research I’ve needed.  Have a great weekend all😊

We didn't get quite that hot here today, Diana, around 97. It's supposed to be low 90's thru Sunday and then 70's a couple days. Looking forward to it. No rain here--statewide burn ban.

After driving DH on an errand this afternoon, I had the grands this evening. It was an active/loud evening. LOL

I guess I'll have to lay off crocheting for a few days. My shoulder has been hurting this week--probably bursitis.

I tried a couple of different recipes the last two days, so we have leftovers--hurrah--no cooking for a couple of days.

Hope everyone has a good end of the week and weekend!

Good morning ladies,

Diana - My parents got a metal roof about 2 years ago and love it.  They had it done by an Amish company and it looks great!  Definitely a great way to go  :)

Mona - Enjoy your leftovers and give your shoulder a little TLC ;)

We've been in the 80's all week with ridiculous humidity...the kind that takes your breath away as soon as you open the door :(  However, it is beautiful today with a high of the low to mid 60's for us! My perfect temp :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi peeps! I'm so happy to have the cooler weather!! 

Mona, I hope your shoulder is feeling better now.

I'm finishing up the giant granny square....with multiple colors....and then I start a graph ghan, but it's a FD emblem, so only two colors.

Enjoy the upcoming week, my friends - and here's hoping that Summer is well and truly gone til next year!

Good morning, everyone. :)

Judy ~ Looking forward to seeing your latest projects!  Your graph 'ghans are always so special. :yes

Mona ~ Oh, I hope your shoulder is much better. :hug  We had Luke and Zach over the weekend and I was definitely ready for some quiet time. Lol

Marisa ~ So glad everything is going well for you all!  Will Troy be working from home?  My hubby's office was at home for many years, but he traveled over 200 days a year so he wasn't always underfoot. LOL

Hi Dianna!  Years ago, we had a house built and it had a metal roof.  We loved it and never had any problems.  I hope you get some relief from the heat soon!

Cindy ~ You sound busy and happy. :) 

After the hottest and driest September on record, we woke up to 55* yesterday!  Over 40* degrees cooler than Sunday...I couldn't stay inside.  We'll still have some 80* days, but hopefully no higher than that!  No crochet time for me lately and I hope to change that later today!

Have a good day, friends. :manyheart