judianne

Our House (Part Three)

I gave the granny square blanket to my neighbor and she loved it. Best ever compliment: You are a real artist!

Years ago I made a blanket for their now 17 yo DD.....it's in her hope chest now😊

• Like 1

Happy Labor Day, ladies. It’s a gorgeous day here, sunny, breezy, and warm.  We went to a huge flea market this morning.  I didn’t buy much, but youngest Dd bought a really cute little table with a couple of matching chairs for her front porch.  I bought a bunch of produce.  It was all super cheap compared to the farmers market or the grocery store.  We had everyone here for lunch, and now Im out on the patio, alternately reading and crocheting.

Brenda, thanks for sharing the bonsai pictures. Dh was interested in trying that for a while, but he never got started, and now he isn’t so interested anymore.  

Judy, as usual, your projects are great, and that was certainly a great compliment from your neighbor.

Diana, I like that c2c.  I’ve never made a doily, the very thought makes my hands hurt.  I have a dresser scarf made by my hubby’s grandma, that is made out of very fine thread  I can’t even begin to imagine how long it took her.  She died when my Dh was a child.  When my mil went to the nursing home, it was destined for the thrift store, if I didn’t take it.

Collette, sorry to hear about your accident.  I’m glad you’re ok.  Vehicles are replaceable but people aren’t.

Marisa, hows the deck project coming?  Restraining our deck rails was on my to do list for this summer, but I haven’t even started on it yet.  I think I am going to touch up the trim on the house this year though  I painted it all last spring, so it’s in pretty good shape.  I missed a few spots though!

Mary, are you ok?  Seems like it’s been awhile..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gardener said:

I’ve never made a doily, the very thought makes my hands hurt.

I prefer perle 5 thread and depending on size of doily occasionally I'll use size 10 thread.  Starting is the most tedious then it gets easier.  When mil was alive we use to go with her to flea markets and auctions.  She had lots of granddaughters and found so much like-new clothing and some with-tags still on them, unworn.  I loved the walking and looking back then.

It's been hot and humid, so I've only stepped out periodically today.  It's breezy but too hot to enjoy.  Hope everybody had a nice day.

Good morning everyone! 

It sounds like we all had a good weekend. 

It was beautiful here Saturday and would have been a good day to work on our deck, but it was too busy.  Troy and I signed up for an intro to shooting session at a local gun range.  They offered it for free and then we each got an additional $50 in store credit to use.  He's talked about it for a long time, and I've never been interested...I don't really like guns in any capacity.  But, I figured if he wanted one in the house, then I should be educated more about guns in general and how it works...so I went with him.  I did pretty well too once I got the hang of aiming.  I would say the class definitely made me more comfortable with the idea.

Then in the afternoon we took our mom's shopping and for hibachi dinner :)

Sunday we had a cookout at my moms and the morning was rainy, so we couldn't do any deck work that day.  Yesterday it also rained so we got some indoor things done and then went to a friend's house for a board game night.  I usually just crochet and hang out since I'm not a huge game fan. Depends on the game...I generally like the mindless ones, but don't get into the ones with a lot of strategy.  That's too much thinking! lol

I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

• Like 1

Hi House. :)  The last 2 weeks have flown by and I'm just now catching up with you all. 

Hi Marisa!  It's so good to see your posts again.  Congratulations on your marriage, new home and your own craft room! 

We've had the boys quite a bit, but they started back to school today so won't be here as often.  DH has had several appointments and the landscape people have been here two different days.  We have a back lawn full of grass again! 

Will post more soon.  :manyheart DH has a dental appointment, so better get ready.

• Like 1

Marisa sounds like good class.  Dh and I took a conceal carry class a few years ago.  I really enjoyed it but dh questioned the wisdom of him wanting me to take it when my instructor told him " she has good aim and a tight pattern".  Up until then he had been blissfully ignorant.  I was raised with guns in the house and followed my dad quail and rabbit hunting.  I enjoy shooting an old single shot .22 rifle or my air rifle.   I dont really enjoy shooting pistols and being around those large caliber guns.  

Cindy we meet a lot of people casually interested in bonsai but really dont want to take the time and effort to learn it.  They show up and want you to work with them one on one and teach them everything about bonsai in an hour.  Not possible.  Its not a good hobby for those that travel because they need to be regularly watered and in summer they might need it twice a day.  Then its a living art form so it constantly changing on you.

Sat we hauled my big piece of quartz into my niece.  Sun I had her come out to pick thru my other rock and she left loaded with big pots and rock.  We followed with concrete blocks, bags of soil and shepherd hooks.  We took it easy yesterday---dh mowed the field and I did laundry.  Today dh is mowing around the house and I have been painting concrete statuary.  We have been gathering statuary and moving it to the front of the house so I can sort thru it.

Brenda, I think Dh figured out that it would require more time than he had available. Our local botanical garden has a bonsai show in the summer and has a few on display all year. They are so beautiful.  BTW, my idea of taking it easy doesn’t involve laundry or mowing!

Back to normal life here today after a really busy weekend.  You know....a little laundry, a little housework, a little weeding.  Next thing I know, it’s dinner time.  Oh well,  I’m retired, whatever I didn’t get to today will be there tomorrow.  

Marisa, I’m kind of lukewarm about board games too, but We often play games with our grandsons and they like me to join in.  There are a few games that I don’t mind. I’m not really into making puzzles either, but Dh likes them.  I have to say that they are growing on me.

Dh, ds and dsil took concealed carry classes a few years ago.  I can hit a target, but I’m not at all into guns, so it’s rare that I get talked into going to the shooting range.  (And it’s even on our property.)

Hello, everyone!

It was a busier weekend here than we intended. But overall not too bad. Have enough leftovers to last until we hit the road Thursday--a long weekend at an AR state park.

Cindy, I'm with you. We have a range in the country, but I rarely just go to shoot. DH and the boys both love shooting all kinds of guns. We all have carry permits. Of course, being in a rural area with little/widely spaced law enforcement, you really have to be prepared to protect yourself if anything happens. Luckily there's fairly low crime rates here, too.

Marisa, I've always liked board games (and puzzles) but DH can't abide either. The grands are about to get old enough to play more interesting ones. I can only take so many rounds of Candy Land. LOL

The heat is back here--summer is NOT over yet, but I can't wait until it is.

Good morning house!

I got some hooking time in last night while we watched Children of the Corn!  Dh wanted to watch it, I haven't seen it in years so I agreed.  But next time, I think I'll retreat to my craft room....I much prefer Hallmark movies! lmao

Mary - thanks!  I'm glad to be back :)

Brenda - I've always been intrigued by bonsai, but would not be a good bonsai parent :(  I do LOVE puzzles....all sorts, lol.

Cindy - I agree, an easy day does not include mowing or laundry! If the range was on our property, we'd probably be there several times a week...at least just to build a comfort level with it anyways.

Mona - I love having leftovers :) Hopefully you get to graduate from Candy Land soon ;) lol

Good morning all, we are getting ready for the rain and winds.  Have been working on Phoenix blanket on and off, pretty heavy with all the clusters popcorn and puff stitches! Not sure I’ll make it to part 12.  Hopefully we won’t lose power later.  Have a great day.

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone!

Diana, stay safe!

Not much going here today, it's an early quit for me today.  I have to run over to the Apple store and see if there's anything they can do for my Apple TV...it won't power on and it's not that old either.  Then I'm having yarn night with a couple of friends this evening! :)  Yay!

• Like 1

Hi peeps!  Good to see everyone here!

On 9/3/2019 at 11:23 AM, marpan79 said:

Good morning everyone! 

It sounds like we all had a good weekend. 

It was beautiful here Saturday and would have been a good day to work on our deck, but it was too busy.  Troy and I signed up for an intro to shooting session at a local gun range.  They offered it for free and then we each got an additional $50 in store credit to use.  He's talked about it for a long time, and I've never been interested...I don't really like guns in any capacity.  But, I figured if he wanted one in the house, then I should be educated more about guns in general and how it works...so I went with him.  I did pretty well too once I got the hang of aiming.  I would say the class definitely made me more comfortable with the idea. Definitely good to know how to use one when it's in the house! I LOVE target shooting. The first time I did it was with a small pistol club when I worked for the bureau - we clerks had a good instructor, though I think the agent helping us probably felt like he drew the short straw🤣  I've bee going to shoot with DH a lot lately, evne though the neares t range is about 30 minutes away. My broth in SC has ranges all over the place and has a CCP. Here in NJ....well, kets just say, so I don't get TOO political, that the guys who don't care about illegal carry outnumber law abiding citizens who are able to legally get a CC..Hubby, an excellent shot in his own right after so many years in LE, is impressed with my accuracy - esp head shots😂.

Then in the afternoon we took our mom's shopping and for hibachi dinner :)  Love hibachi😍

Sunday we had a cookout at my moms and the morning was rainy, so we couldn't do any deck work that day.  Yesterday it also rained so we got some indoor things done and then went to a friend's house for a board game night.  I usually just crochet and hang out since I'm not a huge game fan. Depends on the game...I generally like the mindless ones, but don't get into the ones with a lot of strategy.  That's too much thinking! lol  I totally agree!

I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

• Like 1

whew.  The winds didn't reach what was predicted in this area.  No power outage and the ground around us soaked up the rain.  Our kin in the coastal areas also were spared.  So many folks still getting over last years hurricane!  Brother still isn't in his home(not coastal) because of black mold and roof damage that allowed too much rain indoors.  Roof fixed, but the mold issue was a major headache.  They are still waiting for floor replacement.  Then, prior to hurricane they had another rain in which required the big fans to be turned back on, walls will need re-doing and hopefully the roof structure is repaired that still allowed water in.   Today blue skies are surfacing and sunshine.  Hope everybody here has also weathered this hurricane with no to little damage.  My thoughts are with the folks in the Bahamas!

Enjoy the day.

Hi Ladies. I hope everyone is having a good Friday. :)

Diana ~ So glad the worst of the storm missed you!  Oh, I admire those of you who do thread work...those tiny hooks and I don't get along.  Lol

Mona ~ 'Hope your trip to Arkansas is wonderful!

Brenda ~ Love the bonsai pictures!  You all have been going non-stop - you deserve a vacation after you move! 

Marisa ~ Yarn night sounds so fun.  I remember when you decorated the bridge with yarn!  You've motivated me to start reorganizing my sewing room...thank you, I think! :lol  Our senior citizen center asks for yarn donations so I took 2 big bags this morning.  It's all full skeins that I've had way too long and brands/colors that I won't use again.  I'm just getting started!

Collette ~ I'm so sorry about your accident. :hug

Hi to Judy, Cindy and anyone I've missed.

September is supposed to be a little cooler than August...not this year!  Heat index of 110* yesterday and no rain in the forecast! 

• Like 2

Good news brothers house should be ready by end of October 😊. Dh worked on another statue today scraped about 2 pounds of old paint off now it’s ready for painting-next trip. Took a photo of eagles today. 

ADC2E263-8E19-4B4D-8591-FC1426D51A1D.jpeg

D5B37122-08EF-41E4-94A8-00AA02DE085A.jpeg

Edited by NCcountrygal
Add photos

We hauled concrete blocks to my niece last Wed along with some things for the thrift store. Thurs and Fri went thru the kitty litter buckets with all our soil components for bonsai and houseplants.  Dumped some out, condensed some and transferred to newer buckets as the old buckets were cracking.  Also pulled more things from the attic that sis wanted which we dropped off after bonsai.  Sun more concrete blocks to my niece.  The goal is to always haul stuff out of here any time we are going out anyway.  

Mona are you back yet? What AR state park do you go to.  Do you rent a cabin or have a camper or RV?  Just being nosey.  You really should go to Crater of Diamonds State Park.  I hope to make it there again.  Oh that reminds me dh said we have a some buckets of sluiced gravel to go thru from there.  Wouldnt it be the pits if we dump it out in the drive and the neighbors find a diamond in it?  And then to decide if we should keep the sluice pan and screens. 

Diana the eagles look great.   In my "spare" time I am repainting gnomes.  I think we have finally found them all and carried them down by the house.

• Thanks 1

It was a nice trip to AR--good food, hot, visiting with numerous friends, hot, some crocheting time, little or no internet assess, did I mention it was hot? LOL I'm so ready for fall. Still tired today--it's about a six hour drive not counting stops.  Tomorrow there's DH's regular oncology apts and then I keep the grands for several hours, and his CT apt Wednesday so more driving in store. We're back on the school schedule so I pick up the 4 year old from nursery school on Mondays and keep her about 3 hours. Luckily she fell asleep after lunch and I got a little nap too. Washing clothes and assorted little chores are all I accomplished today, but that was fine, too. 

Hope everyone has a good week!

• Like 1

Brenda, we were typing at the same time. LOL  We've switched litter brands, but I love all the uses for those buckets.

We were at Queen Wilhelmina on top of Rich Mountain. Very pretty and very small. We took the RV for several years, but have stayed in the newly renovated lodge the last two years. My only complaint about the park is the internet only works reliably in the lobby and half the time my phone's hot spot didn't even work. Oh, well, guess we can all benefit from an unplugged weekend. We also go to a get-together every year in October at Petit Jean.

I'm definitely going to get to the Crater of Diamonds in the next couple of years! Please don't pour out that bucket of rocks--there would be a diamond in it for sure!! A couple of pretty big ones have been found this year. Every time one is in the news DH says "someone found your diamond". LOL

Good morning house!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  Mine was busy...I feel like they all are.  Friday I didn't have patients, so I weeded the 2 sections of the yard that the previous owners have all sorts of plants through.  They are really pretty and I don't know what much of it is, but something blooms at least every season.  I do know that I have a few rose bushes and my MIL gets to prune those since she knows how ;) lol   Saturday I worked in the morning and then joined DH and my dad in sanding the decktop.  Sunday we sanded more and thought we'd get the base coat of stain on after dinner, but it started to drizzle so we covered it up for the night.

Yesterday I had a couple morning patients then met my parents at my house and got that base coat of stain down while my mom painted some spindles (we decided replacing the spindles was easier than sanding them all and not very expensive). Then was back at the office for more patients.  Then met DH at the vet across the street with the turtles.  One of them has been breathing through her mouth a lot and Google only scares you more saying it's a respiratory infection (none of the other symptoms present), which is apparently fatal to turtles! 😯 We brought the second one along just in case.  The vet didn't think she has an RI, but did give her an injection of antibiotics and sent us home with an extra injection to give her on Saturday.  If she doesn't improve, then he'll do blood work.  But, he was fairly confident that there's not really much going on since there was no mucous and her mouth looked healthy.

And now here we are today.  I think I finally get a low key day! :) At the office now and I do have paperwork to get caught up from yesterday and banking to take care of as well in between patients.

Oh, and DH got 2 job offers to compare :)  He currently works at Bayer and after buying Monsanto they are closing the Pittsburgh location :(  He actually likes working for them, so this is a bit hard for him.  His director just went on a rant when DH filled him in.  The director is super angry that Bayer wasn't offering any of their good employees the opportunity to continue working remotely.  Oh well, their loss!  It is what it is.  At least he's very marketable since he's a computer IT guy.

OK, I think that about covers it!

Diana - Glad to hear that you dodged the worst of the storm and that your brother's house is on the mend from his issues!  Love the eagles.

Mary - Glad I could inspire your reorganization ;) lol  I think Knit the Bridge was about 6 years ago now!  Wow, where does the time go???

Brenda - Great idea to take something out with you every time you leave.  So much better than trying to do it all at once.

Mona - I hope DH's appointments go well!

• Like 2

Marisa that would be quite a chore sanding spindles.  Replacing them sounds much easier.  Hope your turtle is doing ok.  One of our bonsai friends is into turtles.  He has some very large ones.  He has a special area for them in his back yard as they are way too big to even try to have them in the house.  He can generally tell what sort of winter we will have by how deep the turtles bury themselves.  Sorry about your dh's.  Sounds like he should have no problems finding another job.  Bayer has been doing a lot of changing things all around the last 15 or so years.  We have a fairly new bonsai member that worked for Bayer in KC.  As it turns out he worked with a friend  of mine there. Bayer moved my friend from KC to NC about 15 years ago after they bought someone else out.  Even though we have hauled a lot of stuff out of here its much like trying to drain an Olympic sized swimming pool with a teaspoon.  Your yard with the flowers sounds lovely.  It will be fun seeing them bloom and figuring out what they are.  I am going to miss all the trees, flowers, and bushes I set out here.  Many were starts given to me my dad and a dear friend and both are gone.  Some originally came from my grandma's yard.  We have 5 acres and I set out pines and cedars along the west and north perimeter. For several years I ordered a couple hundred trees from our conservation dept and set them out.   Mortality rate was high especially in drought years and these were year old seedlings.  Now they are big trees.  Hope you are getting that low key day.

Brenda, yes, it was! LOL And still is unfortunately, no break in sight. I'm sure it's hard to leave the plants that were from family and all your hard work.

Marisa, thanks. Today was his weekly chemo shot and labs and tomorrow a CT to check if things look good for a tooth implant. The sanding sounds like a LOT of work. Hope DH finds just what he wants.

I'm having a few minutes down time after getting home, unloading groceries, etc., running a couple of errands and before the grands get here at 6. Just feels good to be in the AC and get cooled off.

Good morning everyone!

Not much to report on today, lol.  It's a busy day at the office rewarded with yarn night tonight :)  Yay!

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

• Like 2

Hi ladies. After a couple of weeks of downright chilly weather we are back to hot and humid again.  

It’s been a busy few days here  plus my sister in law’s dad died and that took an afternoon for visiting the funeral home, plus the funeral this morning.  We went to lunch with dh’s sister and her hubby and mil afterwards. The first restaurant we went to had no electricity, so we had to choose someplace else. And traffic was awful for a Wednesday morning.

Youngest Dd and I are going away this weekend with my sister, sisters in law and nieces to a spa.  It’s about a four to five hour drive each way. Then on Monday we are leaving to go camping for the week.  Luckily Dh doesn’t want to leave until after lunch.  It’s not as rushed as it sounds.  We have an RV and we keep everything we need in there all summer.  We just pack our clothes and some food and we’re good to go.  But now I have a dilemma....should I clean the house tomorrow,more leave it.  It’s not like I’m going to be here to enjoy it for the next week or so.......:)

So, nothing especially exciting going on here. I’ve been crocheting Barbie doll clothes. Our grand daughter is getting a Barbie for her birthday. Those little clothes don’t take long, but they are hard on the hands. Plus, they need to go on easily since she is just turning 5.  So far I have a jacket and a dress.  Most patterns call for size 10 thread, and I just can’t crochet with that.  Too much old age in my fingers and hands I think. Not to mention the faltering vision.....

image.jpg

• Like 2