judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Posted (edited)

It sure is nice to get a break from the heat and humidity here, too!  We now have the mobile phones activated.  Spending time today in learning mode and making sure all goes smooth before we close out our landline/internet connections.  I'm going to miss online pc.  I think, once I adjust to the difference I'll be just fine. 🙂  Will miss the big ole keyboard and monitor screen the most.  The rest of afternoon will be relax and crochet a bit.

Cindy, sounds lovely to dine lakefront, hope the deck is an option tonight.

Marisa, hope you get some time to work on your deck.  Ours needs some work, but so many others on the list take priority.  We paint ours and it needs a new coat and some boards need to be replaced--it's functional for now.

Wow Mona...I hope you get some of the relief we've recently gotten in temps, todays is 84-86 but that horrid humidity is so much better.. quote:We're finally out of the heat advisory but it's hard to tell when you're outside--the heat index is still 107. We haven't gotten any of the scattered rain that's been going around. Maybe this weekend.  end quote

Edited by NCcountrygal
spelling

Marisa its great having people return to the 'ville.  It got so quiet I was afraid it would shut down.  Sounds like you have been busy with some major life changes.  I love your yarn storage system

Diana love your new pillow and that paisley is fantastic.  I can sympathize on the phone internet service.  I have gone without internet as long as 3 weeks.  Then when they ran new cable they crossed our phone line with someone that just carried local service.  We carry a metropolitan calling plan so we can call KC area and people there can call us and it not be long distance.  We call no one considered local.

Cindy the banana and pumpkin bread sounds good.  

Its been nice today, overcast and high in the 70's.  Been another busy week.  Dh mowed Mon and Tues when it was so hot and humid.  Mower quit Tues so he pushed it back to the building from the field.  I mentioned to him last year it was due for a new battery so he finished mowing Wed after installing a new battery.  Thurs a bonsai friend came out hauled off trees we gave up on or never got around to working on.  He is going to keep a few and then bring the rest in for the bonsai society's fundraiser auction.  Fri we took sis and niece out for niece's birthday.  We also hauled yarn in that my niece is storing for me.  This morning it was off to bonsai where we were overwhelmed with new members and walk in visitors all wanting one on one attention.  Before leaving there dh picked up trash and set out plants in our (bonsai society) adopted resting garden.  It was good to unwind at late lunch.  Then we dropped off more things at the thrift store.  We stopped by the duplex at the senior place to look at the landscaping around it to figure out which and where to put some of my concrete statuary.  While we were there we walked across the street over to the little lake and talked with a man fishing there.  Its good to be home in my chair waiting to watch the Chiefs play.  

• Like 1

Thank you, Brenda.  My ordered colors have arrived for the paisley pillow project.  Probably start on that next week.  We've had quite a bit of rain.  Dh mowed and weed whacked 3 days last week and it all needs doing again.  If you get a minute, I'd love to see your bonsai tree(s).  Enjoy the game.

Hi peeps!

On 8/22/2019 at 12:03 PM, marpan79 said:

Well HELLLLLLLLLOOOOOO there peeps!  I have been gone for a ridiculous amount of time!! 🙄

Life has been crazy.  I'm hoping to get back into Crochetville regularly....I miss it!  I'm going on 8 years with my Chiro office in Pittsburgh with some ups and downs.

My parents moved here 3 years ago and are loving it!

I got married almost 2 years ago!  We bought a house last year and a week later my office flooded due to crazy rain in Pitt (they are still fixing roads from all of last years rains and this year there are more mud slides and problems :( )

I now have a craft room :)  And dh has a man cave that I like to call the game room! Haha.

Here is my new yarn storage.....

20181007_220829_HDR.jpg

20181007_220918_HDR.jpg

Marisa, It's great to see you again!!!! So happy that you're happy - except for that flooding. UGH! 

I ADORE your yarn storage. My Yarn closet constantly needs straightening out...loL!

On 8/21/2019 at 5:49 PM, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. Wow, take a few days away from here, and it explodes!  I’ve been working outside and cleaning in the basement storage area.  There is so much stuff down there!  Lots of it either belongs to Dh or mil brought it over and it has dh’s name on it.  Our children have all been out of the house for years, but they still have stuff down there as well.  I need that space......for my stuff!

Really, nothing much going on here. Everyday I knit or crochet or sew a little but I haven’t finished anything.  

Wow... working really put a crimp in your style. So happy you're at ;east getting started on the things you've wanted to get going on.

Good afternoon ladies!

Saturday after work, we went to visit a buddy of Troy's that lives on a local island (in the middle of the river ;) )  It was quite peaceful & relaxing there and the weather cooled off, so that made it even better!  Sunday we got some sanding in on the deck!  Woohoo.  There is still a lot to sand.  But, today...in between patients...I got a first coat of stain on the sanded parts so we don't have to cover it with the tarp for the rain tonight :) 

Cindy - Were you able to sit outside for your dd's birthday dinner?

Diana - I much prefer typing on a keyboard.  I hate doing things on my phone :( Most of the time, if I need to do something on the computer, it will wait until I'm at the office...because I rarely turn my laptop on at home.  LOL  The bonsai tree and society is very interesting, I didn't even know that existed!

Judy - Glad to be back!  I've missed it here and 'seeing' everyone.

I hope everyone has a great evening!

Maria, no, we ended up eating inside. We got there at 4:30, (they open at 4), and there was already a 45 minute wait for outdoor seating.  Our 18 month old grand daughter was with us, and we knew the wait would be too much for her.  When we left a little after 6, the wait was 2 hours for outside seating and about an hour and a half for inside seating.  I wouldn’t wait that long, but there were lots f people waiting.  There are plenty of good restaurants nearby, including several other waterfront restaurants.  It’s just that this particular one is less than a mile from our house.

I spent the morning clearing out stuff from the basement. There’s actually not as much down there as I thought, but it’s really unorganized.  At any rate, I can use the treadmill now if I work up the ambition!

Posted (edited)

Dh jokingly refers to bonsai as little trees in bondage.  This was a tree we won in a raffle a couple of years ago immediately after guest Master Pedro Morales from Puerto Rico styled it.20170624_155730.thumb.jpg.e3e1d4eafd6f5d541e2dd5e21a0757b2.jpg

This was one month later. When it blooms it is loaded with the most fragrant little white blossoms.  

20170722_071009.thumb.jpg.0dc6bac8756f05b24efa074c81ec5cdb.jpg

These belong to a friend of ours.  She is really good at designing them and has been doing it much longer than we have.  We are not very good at it and dont have a good set up for wintering them.  The people with the nicest trees have green houses, heated sheds and special lighting.  This is one of my favorites.  Its an azalea in bloom exposed root style.  The brown you see from the soil up to the leaves and blossoms are lignified roots and not the  trunk.20160508_093552.thumb.jpg.377044dccd0afa42254e49f88f4e6962.jpg

20160508_093605.thumb.jpg.54074afd0b8a7f32c5732da9a0308a3b.jpg

Its been raining today.  Another person came out today and picked up more of our trees that we hadnt worked on much.  Then the septic sucking truck was out.  Neighbor buying place had them do theirs and ours (soon to be theirs).  Glad he came early because at the time we expected him it poured down rain and there was a lot of lightening.

Yes typing on my phone  is challenging but I wouldnt be able to make it here otherwise.  That will change after we move because I will finally have high speed internet.  I called and talked with our closing coordinator at the senior place.  I wanted to go over a few things and set up a meeting with our area coordinator and the head of landscaping in regards to our bonsai trees and my concrete statuary.  At first I thought I would have to get rid of both but the closing coordinator and sales rep said we can have them.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing, Brenda.  Love looking at your Bonsai tree photos.  Happy you can keep the concrete statuary and bonsai trees.

Have really enjoyed the cooler weather and the evenings feel almost like autumn.  Will get hotter from here w the humidity returning this week.  Autumn is around the corner and I'm looking forward to it! 🙂 Have a good pm and rest of the week, all.

Good afternoon everyone!

I had a super busy day yesterday and enjoyed my dinner on the deck since the weather was nice and my mom cleaned the table during the day while I got a first coat of stain on the railings in between patients :)  Today was not busy.  I did laundry while the cleaning lady was there...I hate to clean, so had to remedy that situation 😂 Then I stopped by a friends house to walk her dog for her since she had training today and then a team dinner afterwards.  She usually works from home.  Now I'm at the office for evening patients.  Fairly calm day!

Brenda, glad to hear you get to keep your concrete statuary and the bonsai trees, which are beautiful by the way!

Finished doily (no photo) and c2c (goes to charity).  Worked a bit on phoenix blanket.  Grandbaby here all day today.

100_0670.JPG

• Like 2

Hello all!

Brenda, I enjoyed seeing your bonsai pictures. I went on a group trip to a bonsai place a number of years ago and bought a grouping of cypress trees. It didn't take me long to kill them.

Cindy, we have a half basement in our house--unusual for our area. It's a disaster. Every year I say I'm going to work on it, but it never seems to happen.

Yesterday was a looong day. Luckily DS got home in time to keep the grands last night so that was very good for me. It was one of those days with apts and lots of errands and everything took longer than expected. Good news from the day was getting DH's birthday present.

We are headed into a week of 60's at night. Dare I hope that the worst of the summer heat is over!?I

I'm off to crochet for a bit before DH gets up.

Good afternoon everyone!

Diana - Beautiful c2c, I love the colors :)

Mona - I hope today is better than yesterday for you :)

I have a light day at the office and then have an almost 2 hour drive to just outside of Cleveland tonight for a viewing.  My dear friend's father passed away on Sunday evening.  They were from Erie, but moved out there last year to be near the Cleveland Clinic after he started to decline with ALS :(  It's still hard, even when you know it's coming.

Aside from that, not much else going on.  Tomorrow I hope to get some more work on the deck done, I think the weather is supposed to be...non-rainy. lol.

• Thanks 1

Marisa its great you are going to the viewing..  It really means a lot to have friends support at times like that and especially afterwards when it feels like everyone has gone back to their lives forgetting that your life has been shattered.  I am liking learning about life in your area thru your posts.

Diana love your c2c.  Sounds like you are keeping busy with your projects.  I am at a loss on what to work on right now so I am making ministockings for W4W.  It doesnt matter on colors, dont need much yarn so I can just grab what is handy.

Mona hope you get a slower day.  Thats great you thought of something and found dhs present.  Oh rats that reminds me my dh will have #65 in Oct and our anniversary is just a little over 2 weeks away.  Sorry about your bonsai.  They are challenging to keep alive mostly because they are designed from so many different species of trees which have vastly different hortcultural requirements. We have lost lots of trees through the years.

• Thanks 1

Still getting everything in order to go just mobile. The c2c is packaged w some dishcloths for Appalachian Outreach just need to mail now. Getting more use to keyboard.😏 Dh is adding a brick paneling in our br looks really nice and different look. Have a great day all.

• Like 1

Hi, everyone!

I'm still using the computer at the local library!  SOMEday I'll get mine fixed...hopefully!  

I totalled my car Monday morning--as I was driving to my crochet class at our library!  I pulled out in front of someone, and he got me in the left front wheel!  I bumped my head on the side window, and got a scrape on my elbow, which was more painful than the headbump!  So DH and I spent a couple of hours Tuesday cleaning out my (very full!) car, so they could take it away to the car burial grounds.  ??????  So now...we need to start shopping around for a another used car that we can afford!!!!  D*#m!!!!  It was still running pretty good, but it was a '94, so it probably wouldn't have lasted too much longer anyway.  So now my hubby has to chauffeur me around to my 3 crochet classes each week!  (That might be good incentive to help me find another car, 'ya' think?? )

I had a beautiful window display at the library all month of my clubs' crochet work--got several really nice compliments on our work, too!  Hubby and I just took it down this afternoon.

Well, that's about it for today.  Happy Crocheting, y'all!!!

• Like 2

Oh, Collette, so sorry about your accident, but so glad you weren't really hurt!! Hope you'll find just the car you want real soon.

I've had a pretty relaxing couple of days just doing regular stuff around the house and crocheting. I've made pretty good progress on the phoenix blanket and reorganized some yarn. DS is home this afternoon so I don't have the grands tonight. 

Diana my big problem with mobile is my phone is by my chair so when I sit down I pick it up to check on texts, email, and then check in here.  When using the computer I might check email and in here once a day maybe Mon thru Fri.

Collette sorry about the accident.   Glad you are ok and hope you find a replacement car.  

Tues we made a Walmart run to pick up cat food for the cats that stay around here.  Wed neighbor finally came down to see what the septic tank looks like when dh digs it up since he is taking over.  Dh got it covered back up.  I dug up up ajuga and short mondo grass to take to my niece along with my big long pot of assorted perrenials.  So far stuff hauled off from in the house is not noticeable but those three empty bonsai benches and those missing 5 two foot long pots is noticeable.  Today we hauled my concrete bench into my niece and set it up all nice and level. 

• Like 1

Here's the last gift...so far

Border is number 120 from the Around the Corner pattern book.

IMG_20190824_082714302.jpg

IMG_20190824_082755074.jpg

• Like 3

Judy, a really cute blanket! I think I have that book. I need to dig it out and use it.

Judy really pretty afghan.  That is a nice border.  I think that is the one book I dont have.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:49 PM, Avon Lady said:

I totalled my car Monday morning--as I was driving to my crochet class at our library!  I pulled out in front of someone, and he got me in the left front wheel!  I bumped my head on the side window, and got a scrape on my elbow, which was more painful than the headbump! 

So sorry to read about your collision!  Glad to read only minor injuries to you.  Hoping you find a bargain pc and a car that meets your expectations.

17 hours ago, bgs said:

Diana my big problem with mobile is my phone is by my chair so when I sit down I pick it up to check on texts, email, and then check in here.  When using the computer I might check email and in here once a day maybe Mon thru Fri.

My problem is I park the phone and then forget about it.  The ringer doesn't get my attention a few rooms away, unlike the house phone that I can hear in every room.  The first time it rang it didn't register as my phone, lol, I looked to see where that sound was coming from then the lightbulb came on.  I changed the sound to something that reminds it's not a kitchen noise or toddler's toy.  I don't know I'm just not that interested in pc time these days.  Been online since the 90s.  Usually, it's more of a tool to look something up or check on something before buying.  I have to get the reading glasses to see my emails on the phone and the sound quality when talking isn't too good.  Decided to hold off one more month, suppose to get a deduction for all the outages on the landline/internet.  It was out again last night till some time this AM.  So had a chance to compare cell vs no wifi backup.

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone!

Just a quick check in before I leave the office.  Yesterday was nice, so I finished the railing on the deck sanding and then got the first coat of stain over it :)

Tonight dh and I are going to the Rib Fest  for dinner and then a local band, The Clarks are playing there at 9 with a free show, so we'll stay for that as well since I like them :)

Brenda - My mom and dh came with me to the viewing and we were all glad to have gone! I know it's already been really tough on my friend, so she definitely needs us now!

Collette - So sorry to hear about your accident!  I'm glad you're ok and hope you find a new car quickly.

Judy - Gorgeous ghan....I think I have that book.  I'd have to check, but I think Joanne gave it to me, lol.

I likely will not be back until Tuesday....unless I turn on the computer at home, lol.  Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend everyone!

• Like 1

Diana we hardly used our old cells and still rarely use our smartphones for calls but use them all the time for texting, email, and searching the internet.  Its usually by my chair so if I am sitting there wondering about something I grab and google.  

Marisa sounds like you are moving right along on the deck.  I never liked sanding things.  Rib Fest and the band sounds like a lovely evening.

We had storms all night and morning.  Spent morning  sorting thru clothes and have another big bag to haul to thrift store.  Spent afternoon repotting trees.  Still need to pot about 6 more.  Tomorrow planning on hauling my niece my huge piece of quartz.  We got it on a trip to a quartz mine in AR.   Its a two man lift or one man with a dolly.  Also will be taking the plants I potted the other day along with a couple of boxes of widemouth canning jars for my sister.  Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Hi peeps!

Saying hi from my phone. Thanks for the compliments on the blanket 😊