judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Posted (edited)

Brenda, it was great weather today for our company. A little cooler and some wind. They're talking about 3-5" of rain tomorrow and maybe a couple more Monday with wind gusts 30-35.  Seems like a lot of the time we don't end up getting as much as predicted, but we are on the west east side of the storm.

For tonight we have 5 bedrooms occupied and someone on the couch. I plan on being a couch potato tomorrow afternoon after everyone has left!

Judy, cute blankets!

Edited by greyhoundgrandma
  • Like 1

Mona glad to hear it shouldnt be terribly bad for you.  I know you must be exhausted but I envy you a bit on being able to have so much company and that so many come.  

Judy love the afghans.  You did a terrific job with the colors and your grannies are so nice and square.

• Like 1

Brenda, it's was a little too much company at one time for my taste. Maybe because to was all guys and no lady friends mixed in. LOL And of course, there are all those sheets to wash and beds to remake now.

I hesitate to say it, but the weather hasn't been bad to this point. Mostly a slow gentle rain off and on all day--less than an inch. I've wasted most of the afternoon piddling with this or that but it was nice not to have anything I had to do.

Mona what was the head count?  Thank goodness for electricity and automatic washing machines.  Next time you should hang a sign out front---- Mona's Bed and Breakfast with room rates.  Glad to hear so far so good on the rain.  

The two of us and 3 extras Friday night (plus other son's family of 5 for supper). Saturday night we added 4 more spending the night. Plus 6 more during the day--lunch--Saturday (minus son's 5). It was kind of like herding cats trying to figure out who was going to be where at what time/day. LOL

• Haha 1

We're headed back to sunshine and heat indexes over 105 today. Barry's cooler weather was so humid that it wasn't much of a break. We got 2" of rain so that was just a good farmers rain.

I think the GDs are coming for a sleepover tonight so I hope I can get a nap in somewhere today. 

Hope everyone is having a good week!

• Like 1

Mona I dont know how you do it.  All the company last weekend and gds tonight.  

Its hot here too.  We are under heat advisory for rest of week.  All we got from Barry was puffy clouds and humidity. I d pent morning going thru some things in the attic before it got too hot.

• Like 1

We put off the sleepover until tonight. I'll have all three for a while then DIL will pick up the GS. I had a pretty productive afternoon. Washed 3 loads of sheets/towels, remade 2 beds, got the futon mattress that the girls sleep on out and made up (all our beds are tall, so they sleep on it on the floor), paid a bill and balanced the checkbooks, and joined the 4 squares of one of the petal lap throws. I hope to get the other squares joined this afternoon, then I'll just have 4 rounds of dc around each throw.

It's another hot one here today. 

• Like 1

Hi Ladies :)  So glad the forum upgrade was quick and worked out well.  I've been staying off the computer as much as I can because of headaches.  I don't have cataracts thank goodness, but do need 'grown-up' glasses for the first time.  In the last 1½ years, things really changed!  My new glasses and sun glasses should be ready by tomorrow or Saturday. 

Mona ~ So glad your weather wasn't too bad!  They mentioned the Miss. Delta on the news several times and I was hoping you were okay.

Brenda ~ Yep!  Summer time is here, too.  Really can't complain since we've had a cooler few months than normal already.  Have you started packing?

I'm going to try and work in some crochet time later.  Another long time friend of Hubby's passed away and another is in the hospital.  So we've been to a funeral this week and will go to the hospital in a little while. 

Have a good day, friends!♥♥♥

• Like 1

Mary sorry to hear dh lost a friend and you have one in the hospital. Hope your glasses work out ok and you easily adjust to them.  I have run the gamut---glasses, bifocals, progressive lenses when needed trifocals, and last year cataract surgery.  My script changed very rapidly the year before cataract surgery. I got the multifocal lens implants but still need low mag readers which have been very hard to get used to.  It was much easier to wear glasses all the time instead of on and off and you are in one end of the house and they are at the other end.  I finally understood seeing those multipacks at the store--- leave a pair in every room. I have packed a few things.  A lot of my things like yarn are already in plastic totes.   Mostly trying to use things up and haul things to the thrift store that need to go whether we move or not.  Still trying to decide what to take and how to make it fit.  Nearly have the contract filled out for sale of this place and need to meet with neighbors to go over and sign so getting close to point of no return.  Its like you want to get things all ready to move, but things could still fall through. Needed to go to bank this morning so checked about what to do as far as moving and got my niece added as beneficiary---- we need to be taking care of stuff like that too. Sounds like we dont need to move our account.

Mona you got a lot done.  Looking forward to seeing your petal lap throw.

Donna is doing a wonderful job of tidying things up.  She moved CAL's up to the second section----Crochetville Essentials.  I am excited we are essential. :yay  

• Like 2

Mary, hope you adjust quickly to the new glasses! Hope you get that crochet time.

Brenda, sounds like things are moving right along for the move.

The girls spent the night and we all got a good night's sleep. DIL has picked them up already. I was looking forward to a quiet day, but our friend that grows veggies just called and he'll be bringing me two bags of peas--not really two bushels, but it's close--already shelled, thank goodness. So my afternoon is now planned for me. I just have to concentrate on how good they will taste this winter.

Hi ladies. It’s been so hot and humid here...just bringing in groceries is enough to work up a sweat. We were without power for a good part of the day due to severe storms.  Supposedly more are on the way.  Hopefully our power stays on!  It went off at around 2 AM, and I couldn’t sleep after that. Not sure why. It was back by noon, so I quickly did laundry, ran the dishwasher and vacuumed....just in case.  Now I am sitting on the porch crocheting.  (Temperature dropped to 70 with this afternoons storms.). 

Hope you are all all having a good weekend.

• Like 1

Heat index is 103°. Its the 20th of July and I hear fireworks or a lot of gunshots.  Its supposed to drop down in the 60's and then get hot again.

Spent the day with the Prairie Dulcimer Club.   They brought in a special teacher and she was fabulous.  At one time I was enjoying listening to 11 hammer dulcimers 12 mountain dulcimers a guitar and fiddle.  Several have commented to me how well dh is coming along.  He really enjoys it.

Tomorrow someone is coming for some of our beekeeping woodware.  Need to find someone needing our extracting equipment at the beekeeper org that we belong to.  Then checking with someone  tomorrow afternoon or Mon to help us determine what our lawn tractor is worth. He sells used mowers and it was nice of him to offer to sell it for us if the neighbor decides he doesnt want it.  Today decided we must put new tires on the suv.  We were hoping to get rid of it before needing to do it but need it until after we get moved.

Hi ladies....been having real feel temps over 100...horrible. BUT...tg our power has stayed on! Counting my blessings....

It's been really hot here, too. But then a friend stopped by and pointed out that it hasn't really been hot this year--hasn't hit 100 actual temp. As hot as the real feel has been, I sure hope it doesn't. We're headed into some cooler weather after rain Monday. Not good for the cotton farmers but I'll sure enjoy it.

Cindy, summer and no AC is really  NOT fun.

Brenda, sounds like a fun day and y'all seem to be making good progress on getting things sorted out for the move.

Judy, hope you get a break in the heat this week, too.

• Like 1

Hi ladies. The temperatures have been much better here for the last couple of days, high 70s rather than high 90s.

Nothing much going on here. I’ve been sewing and crocheting off and on, but I haven’t been sleeping well, so I haven’t been overly ambitious. Also...I am sick of my UFOs and I told myself that I have to finish two projects before I can start a new one.  I finally did locate my Sophie’s Universe project though.  It was in with my fabric.

Hope you are all enjoying your summer.

Judy I was wondering about your power. Glad you never lost it.

Mona I noticed it really hasnt been as hot as some years but the humidity has been staying pretty high.  Last summer it was so hot and dry we didnt have to mow for 10 weeks.

We have had a couple of pleasant days.  I even wandered out and pulled a few weeds.  It even dropped into the 50's last night.  Yesterday I bottled honey, cleaned up storage buckets and bottling bucket so they are ready to go when we find a home for our extracting equipment.  Today we got another load together for the thrift store.  I sure wish it would start looking like things were missing. 

Neighbors came over tonight and we all signed the contract accepting their offer for the place.  Guess we are almost if not at point of no return.  Such mixed emotions sad as I did not want to move yet, cautiously excited about the place we are headed to, worried that things could fall through and panicked about getting rid of all this stuff.  Guess the next few days we will be running around.  That is one thing I will not miss--2 hours sucked out of my life riding in the car anytime we go somewhere.  

Cindy, I'm glad you found your project! Sneaky of it to hide there.

Brenda, I can't imagine how intimidating and even frightening a major move like that must be. So many details!

I couldn't believe it was July this afternoon. I sat outside and enjoyed the wonderful temps and cooked supper on the grill. A good end to another tiring (from sitting around and waiting) chemo day. I go and get my new crown tomorrow and then back to Oxford for my GI follow-up on Thursday. DH is staying home Thursday so I'll be able to do a few errands and look at things at my leisure. And the yard has to be mowed in there somewhere, but no rain in the forecast so it can wait a little while.

Hi ladies. Still beautiful weather here, warm, sunny, not humid at all.  I am nearly finished a “leftover yarn” Afghan. It’s a good size for a toddler or a lap blanket. The yarn I pulled out to use in it is nearly gone. A couple more rounds and then the leftovers will go into the scrappy knit blanket.  

Brenda, I would think the idea of moving is bittersweet.  It’s hard to leave what’s familiar for the unfamiliar  it does sound like things are all falling into place for you.

iI have a lunch date, so I’d better get moving.

• Like 1

Cindy it has been hard. I did not want to move and dh insisted. Logically I know and agree that this is really for the best and am starting to allow myself to look forward to it.  Even though there are a lot of unknowns  we are somewhat familiar with the area.  We shop there.  Our favorite pizza place is there.  The garages that service our cars are there. Dentist is near there.  I will be better off should something happen to dh first---guaranteed home for life and close to niece and sisters.  Our place here needs a total overhaul inside. We have several trees that need cut down.  Its getting too hard to keep up with the mowing let alone get anything else done so it is a blessing the neighbor wanted the place as is.  I get to look forward to a place with new carpet, fresh paint, have a much newer stove and refrigerator, and have a dishwasher.  We will have cable tv, reliable high speed internet, and good cell reception which are all lacking here.  No yard work, no shoveling snow (unless I really want to).  They have 7 restaurants and we have a dining credit at them.  There is a 9 hole golf course, gym, bowling alley, movie theater,  and three swimming pools that we can use at no charge. They have free transportation around the village and on certain days to stores and drs offices.  There are all sorts of groups and activities including a crochet group.  We found out we already know some people there.  My other niece and nephew's grandma just moved to assisted living there. We ran into her on our last visit. How convenient is that? They can visit grandma and me at the same time. 

• Like 2

Brenda, it sounds like a great place to live....sort of like being at a resort with all those amenities. Lots of positives.

Cindy my mom was head nurse at their care center briefly before she passed 26 years ago. She loved working there. They were very nice and supportive to us in our grief.  They also gave out a nursing scholarship in her name.  In some of our past visits there our village rep for the event is a lady that worked for my mom and remembers her fondly.   Our duplex is adjacent to one of the holes on the golf course and is across the street from the care center.  It just seems right.  Another odd thing is I often tell dh when my time comes just go off and let me die in peace.  He makes me crazy with his pacing and all his questions.  Come to find out the street this dup is on is Peace Parkway.  

Hope everyone is doing well and has a relaxing weekend or at least accomplishes what they have planned.

I hoped to sleep in but no such luck. Woke up with a headache but enjoying some quiet time before DH is up. It's been a busy week. No problems at the GI apt except she sent me back to our local dr because my BP was high. It was fine Friday; I just need to get more exercise and lose the weight I've gained back. Hopefully I'll get some pool time this weekend--our temps are back in the 90's and sunny. It did give me a chance to talk to her about my hip bursitis and she gave me a steroid pack so hopefully that will take care of it.

Brenda, I'm almost to the border on the green with envy shawl, just trying to decide how big to make it.

• Like 1

Good Morning!  Once again, I'm playing catch up. :)  So happy to see Donna's posts and I hope we can help make the 'Ville active again!

The last week was very full.  The boys were here a couple times, we had two huge trees taken down (3 days work!) and I'm fumbling along trying to get used to the new glasses. Lol  Today is my first quiet day and I plan to crochet all afternoon. 

I hope you all are having a good weekend! ♥♥♥

• Like 1