judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Hi Brenda, and thank you for the warm welcome.  Also for your kind comments on my blanket.  :) 

My husband and sons have been to KC and loved it.  They visited the WWI Museum, among other things, and really enjoyed it.  I've always loved bonsai trees, and am amazed at people who can shape them and have that kind of patience.  Your projects sound lovely and very, very kind.  I don't do enough for charity, and the ladies on this forum are making me think I need to step up a little more.  :) 

Hi House. :)  I hope everyone had a good day yesterday.  We had a quiet day and thankfully no one around us had fireworks, so Gracie was not freaking out this year!

Shani ~  Welcome!  We're glad you're here!  Your ripple 'ghan is lovely and so is the afghan in your profile picture. :yes

Cindy ~ Yay for working on the UFO list!  I hope you're okay...since you mentioned the frequent mammograms, I've been worried about you.♥

Mona ~ Your holiday weekend sounds super busy!  I hope you have lots of help and can have some 'me' time, too.

Judy ~ Your latest afghans are both so pretty.  I need to make some solid color afghans and take a break from all those ends!

Brenda ~ Do you have a moving date yet?  Your house sale sounds so much easier than using a realtor and having people traipsing through all the time! 

This is the first full week in a long time that we haven't had appointments!  But I did have to go oven shopping...my wonderful slide in gas range works fine, but the door lock froze and there are no longer parts available.  So it will be hauled off with a sheet pan with roasted asparagus inside. :lol 

Have a good day, all!

• Like 1

Mary glad you had a quiet 4th.  No move in date til we have money from this place to close on that one.  Hopefully things will keep rolling along.  We picked up paperwork from title company on Mon and are working on filling it out. Gee sorry you lost your roasted asparagus.

Sis and niece came out for the 4th.  We have promised niece several things like refrigerator (for her garage) washing machine as hers is well over 20 years old (those old Kenmores keep going like the energizer bunny) push mower, weedeater, etc.  She left with a car load of stuff.  We also spent several hours going through my old clothes and have our suv loaded with bags to drop off at the thrift store tomorrow after bonsai.  They wore me out but they are good at grabbing things I really dont need and saying let it go.  We had pop up showers all day.  Dh decided we would go to late supper to Perkins to get his free meal.  It started pouring down rain on our way.  We waited for a long time to head back thinking it would let and watched fireworks going off in the rain.  Trip back was hard as there were times visibility was horrible and lots of water running and pooling over road.  4 inches in rain gauge this morning and its rained quite a bit since. 

Mary, I'm sorry you need a new oven, but I did have to laugh about the asparagus. Too bad it wasn't liver or something less tasty. Hope it wasn't your favorite pan.

Brenda, that's a lot of rain! Glad you have such good help sorting through things. DH and I both keep way too much stuff. I keep saying I'm going to go through some of it, but that's as far as it's gone.

Shani, I like the colors in your ripple--very pretty.

Yesterday was hot and busy, but the kids had lots of fun. We had several rain showers but enough sun in between for them to get pink cheeks. Taking a break today. Double birthday party at the pool tomorrow. I wove in some ends this morning and plan to get some more done this afternoon, so I can get started putting squares together on the two Bernat Pop Petal blankets.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Hot, hot, humid day out there.  I really want to move north (read: home) to the colder climate once again, but it just doesn't appear to be happening any year soon, due to DH's job.  I spend a little more of each summer away from here, but shhh! don't anyone tell DH.  😉

Mary and Mona, thank you very much for your kind comments on my blankets, even if I can only take credit for the assembly of my sons'.  :) 

Sounds like everyone's week has rolled along quite nicely.  I had to laugh at the thought of asparagus rolling out the door with the stove.  🤣

Stay cool, stay dry, and please, let there be no more fireworks!  My dog, Stolli, just can't take it.  

Hi ladies. Hot and humid here lately.  Thankful for air conditioning!  However, still working on UFOs. I need to borrow a little of Judy’s ambition. Seems like she finishes a lot of things.  Nice blanket by the way.

Mary, don’t worry about me. My mammogram is abnormal, and still changing, but the likelihood of malignancy is actually decreasing.  I wouldn’t mind so much if I could go to the office in the little town near here, but I have to go to the cancer center downtown for special pictures. I was hoping to not deal with downtown traffic ever again once I retired.  The usual summer road construction just adds to the congestion.  I also had a bit of a chuckle over the asparagus locked in the oven.

Welcome, Shani.  Your blankets are lovely.  I am a long time critical care nurse, but I  retired a few weeks ago.  I am Canadian by birth, and I live in Michigan with my husband and Sophie the Brittany.  We have three children and seven grandchildren.  I am a serial project starter.  This wouldn’t be so bad, but I dabble in a lot of crafts and I have UFOs everywhere!  

Our son son is in Norway on vacation and his two Brittany’s are here.  One of them is terrified of fireworks.  She’s had a rough couple of evenings and I hear them again now.  They don’t bother Sophie at all.

• Like 1

Hi Cindy, and thanks for the welcome and kind words about my blankets.  I just love creating.  Congratulations on your retirement!  How does it feel?  My husband and I are both from Michigan, and I get up there regularly.  Just came home on Monday and heading up again next week for two weeks.  I would love to move home, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards yet.  Oh well.

If your son wouldn't mind, you can buy 'Calming' chew tablets at Wal-Mart to help his dog manage anxiety through the fireworks (and thunderstorms, if it's like our dog).  They work pretty well.  :) 

Good morning, everyone. :)

Cindy ~ Thank you for letting us know you are okay.  Sorry you still have to fight the traffic once in a while, though!  How exciting that your son is in Norway!

Brenda ~ Oh, more rain...not what you all need.  I need your sis and niece to come and motivate me to do some more purging. Lol  Several months ago I asked hubby to empty the attic above the garage except for holiday stuff.  DD doesn't want to go through her stuff and hubby won't part with anything, so those boxes are still stacked in the garage. :lol

Mona ~ I hope you're having a quiet day after the party!  Looking forward to seeing the blankets. :yes

Shani ~ Enjoy your time in Michigan!  Do you have a large family there? 

Hi to Judy and anyone I may have missed. 

We're in for the day.  The heat index was 105 yesterday and more of the same today.   Crochet time for me!

Have a good day, friends. :manyheart

• Like 1

Hi peeps! 

A rant before the fun stuff: behind us some neighbors from hell have added a new repertoire to July, in addition to their booming BASS all day long, so-called music: Professional grade fireworks! The smoke and sulfur smell...and dry woods behind us which are a fire risk....one neighbor thought a house was on fire and drove up our street!!!!!!! Lucy isn't terrified...just wakes up when they're loud...it's a time I'm actually happy Sparkie has passed on😪  He would have had a heart attack...I wished I still had Xanax in the house! WHERE do they think they live?! We are suburbs...not country!!!

OK....

On 7/3/2019 at 6:15 PM, smskutt said:

Hello!  I'm new here and having a browse around all of the topics.  I love this topic, and the chatter on it.  :)  Let's see. 

My name is Shani and my husband and I have two sons.  We live in central Illinois currently, but are from Michigan.  We arrived here via NY and AZ, and we hope to move soon.  We recently bought a motorhome van and *love* it.  :)  We're planning a three-week trip to the PNW next month.  

Currently I am working on attic24's Interlocking Ripple Blanket for my youngest son.  He chose the colours and their sequence.  And no, he's not a control freak like his mother at all😂 I'll pop a photo in from my phone....

E097594A-E9D0-43E3-812A-74298C817CAA.jpeg

Welcome Shani!!!  Love your work. Attic24 is my favorite place to be when looking for eye candy :)

On 7/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, smskutt said:

That blanket is so pretty, Judy!  

Thanks!!

On 7/5/2019 at 5:46 PM, smskutt said:

Hello everyone,

Hot, hot, humid day out there.  I really want to move north (read: home) to the colder climate once again, but it just doesn't appear to be happening any year soon, due to DH's job.  I spend a little more of each summer away from here, but shhh! don't anyone tell DH.  😉

Mary and Mona, thank you very much for your kind comments on my blankets, even if I can only take credit for the assembly of my sons'.  :) 

Sounds like everyone's week has rolled along quite nicely.  I had to laugh at the thought of asparagus rolling out the door with the stove.  🤣

Stay cool, stay dry, and please, let there be no more fireworks!  My dog, Stolli, just can't take it.  

Our almost 13 yo German shepherd Sparkie passed away nearly a year ago...he was terrified of fireworks....drooling, shaking...all of that. I always sat with him on the top landing in our house, all doors shut, comforting him. Our 8 yo Lucy doesn't do any of that, TG.

• Like 1

Another blanket for the NICU. Using scraps😄

IMG_20190706_153014609.jpg

• Like 2

Judy, I don't understand how neighbors can be so inconsiderate, but they are definitely out there.

Pretty blanket--great use of scraps.

• Like 1

Good afternoon!  My men just took off to play frisbee golf this afternoon, so Stolli and I are visiting on here before we take a nap.  Sundays are definitely made for naps.  :) 

Mary - Thanks!  I do have considerable family in Michigan, although most of my visits for the last year+ have revolved around my mom.  My dad and my brother (only sibling) passed suddenly and unexpectedly 15 weeks apart, and she's struggling with it (as I would expect).  Our relationship is not without its challenges, so we muddle along the best we can right now.  I'm up there every 4-6 weeks or more, but this visit one week will be with her and the other week or so will be visiting other family/friends/solo time.  It will be my first solo trip driving our new RV, and I'm so looking forward to it.  :) My DH is concerned one of these trips I may not come home.  He's probably right to be concerned, lol.

Judy - Thanks! I, too, enjoy visiting attic24 for eye candy.  :) As for the dogs, I buy "doggie downers" at Wal-Mart to help calm Stolli through the worst of the t-storms and fireworks.  It takes the edge off his worst anxiety.  He was my brother's dog and a deathbed promise from me to him to take care of Stolli, so even though he's 11, we've only had him since September.  He's such a wonderful dog.  I'm sorry about your dog, Sparkie.  They sure do leave such an impression on us, don't they?  As for the fireworks, well, I have nothing nice to say about that.  Sounded like gunshot at 11:30 PM.  11:30!!!! Ugh.  

The extreme heat and humidity seem to have temporarily vacated for about 48 hours, so the house is open and tomorrow I'll hang all the laundry out and clean the RV in readiness of my trip.  Today, though, is nap/crochet/audiobook time.  Bliss.  I hope everyone else has a wonderful Sunday!

xx

Judy another nice ghan. We had a dog that was scared to death of fireworks too.  I know all about neighbors from hell.  We have some that moved in  up the road a few years ago.   Their first party their music was deafening loud at my house a quarter of a mile away.  They also have a huge caliber gun that they periodically shoot off constantly til 1 am.  It sounds like dynamite and makes my windows rattle. I have no idea if they use a target but they are close to the road and highway and I would be scared to be driving by.   Thats a one reason why we are moving and moving to a senior place.  I am surprised with you being in the suburbs someone didnt report them.  Also not too sure that you arent supposed to file for a special permit I think with Homeland Security if using professional grade fireworks.  

Pouring down rain here Thurs night so not many fireworks but there were several Fri night that went after midnight.  Dh didnt want to listen to another round Sat night so we went to see The Avengers.  Didnt get home until 1am Sun.  We left home 8am Sat to go to bonsai.  

Shani sorry for your loss.  I can see how this would be very hard on your mom.  Safe travels

18 minutes ago, bgs said:

Shani sorry for your loss.  I can see how this would be very hard on your mom.  Safe travels

Thanks, Brenda. :hug

Hi ladies. The heat and humidity have temporarily left us and it is absolutely gorgeous outside.  I sat outside reading all morning. Then I went to lunch with a bunch of friends.  Now I’m working on laundry.

I cannot find one of my UFOs.  It’s Sophie’s Universe and I can’t figure out where it got too.  It’s in a huge bag because there are 7 or 8 skeins of yarn in with it.  It’s not like I don’t have plenty of other UFOs.........

I am grateful for our neighbors.  Actually, we have new neighbors across the street that I haven’t met yet.  There were some fireworks here and there but the only really loud ones were the display over the lake, and those were an official celebration.  

Wow, Judy, you are really churning out those blankets.  Very nice!

Posted (edited)

Cindy lucky you that the humidity left.  Its 91% here today so feels like a sauna.  You might know the ufo you want to work on is now mia.

And yet another round of fireworks last night.  Hope its over but its probably not.

Edited by bgs

We have the sauna here, too. 91º, feels like 103.

Cindy, hope you find your bag. I've had that pattern on my to-do for a while, but just haven't gotten to it yet. Enjoy the gorgeous while it lasts!

Hi peeps! 

On 7/7/2019 at 3:19 PM, smskutt said:

Good afternoon!  My men just took off to play frisbee golf this afternoon, so Stolli and I are visiting on here before we take a nap.  Sundays are definitely made for naps.  :) 

Mary - Thanks!  I do have considerable family in Michigan, although most of my visits for the last year+ have revolved around my mom.  My dad and my brother (only sibling) passed suddenly and unexpectedly 15 weeks apart, and she's struggling with it (as I would expect).How awful for her!  Our relationship is not without its challenges, so we muddle along the best we can right now.  I'm up there every 4-6 weeks or more, but this visit one week will be with her and the other week or so will be visiting other family/friends/solo time.  It will be my first solo trip driving our new RV, and I'm so looking forward to it.  :) My DH is concerned one of these trips I may not come home.  He's probably right to be concerned, lol.

Judy - Thanks! I, too, enjoy visiting attic24 for eye candy.  :) As for the dogs, I buy "doggie downers" at Wal-Mart to help calm Stolli through the worst of the t-storms and fireworks.  It takes the edge off his worst anxiety.So glad you did that for the poor baby!  He was my brother's dog and a deathbed promise from me to him to take care of Stolli, so even though he's 11, we've only had him since September.  He's such a wonderful dog.You're a wonderful sister to do that - not everyone would, unfortunately   I'm sorry about your dog, Sparkie.  They sure do leave such an impression on us, don't they?  Thank you - and yes...esp when they're so sweet and gentle - he was 95 pounds of mushiness. We have his ashes (first dog we ever did that that for) and have a memorial to him on the dry sink off our kitchen. That's were whe always stayed, so he could lay next to me while I crocheted or cooked. As for the fireworks, well, I have nothing nice to say about that.  I hate them. Grew uo in Brooklyn and kids would totscherry bombs (LOUD) from the flat roofs of garages on the street as people walked by. I was always terrified of them. Yet I love target shooting...go figure. Sounded like gunshot at 11:30 PM.  11:30!!!! Ugh.Stupid people out there!  

The extreme heat and humidity seem to have temporarily vacated for about 48 hours, so the house is open and tomorrow I'll hang all the laundry out and clean the RV in readiness of my trip.  Today, though, is nap/crochet/audiobook time.  Bliss.  I hope everyone else has a wonderful Sunday!

xx

On 7/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, bgs said:

Judy another nice ghan. Thanks!! We had a dog that was scared to death of fireworks too.  I know all about neighbors from hell.  We have some that moved in  up the road a few years ago.   Their first party their music was deafening loud at my house a quarter of a mile away.  They also have a huge caliber gun that they periodically shoot off constantly til 1 am.  It sounds like dynamite and makes my windows rattle. I have no idea if they use a target but they are close to the road and highway and I would be scared to be driving by.   Thats a one reason why we are moving and moving to a senior place.  I am surprised with you being in the suburbs someone didnt report them.  I was surprised too....sometimes we're too dang nice...or is it cowardly? Also not too sure that you arent supposed to file for a special permit I think with Homeland Security if using professional grade fireworks.  Though DH is dragging his feet about initiating the call to his nephew (a town cop) I am insisting he talk to him about it to see what can be done.  I gave him a warning - if this happens again I WILL CALL THE COPS ON THESE PEOPLE despite what he says! This pull back when DH is himself retired Law Enforcement!

Pouring down rain here Thurs night so not many fireworks but there were several Fri night that went after midnight.  Dh didnt want to listen to another round Sat night so we went to see The Avengers.  Didnt get home until 1am Sun.  We left home 8am Sat to go to bonsai.  

On 7/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. The heat and humidity have temporarily left us and it is absolutely gorgeous outside.  I sat outside reading all morning. Then I went to lunch with a bunch of friends.  Now I’m working on laundry.We just had two days like that - it was heavenly being able to sit out back with acomfortable breeze. Two nights we actually took a walk, too. 

I cannot find one of my UFOs.  It’s Sophie’s Universe and I can’t figure out where it got too.  It’s in a huge bag because there are 7 or 8 skeins of yarn in with it.  It’s not like I don’t have plenty of other UFOs.........Oh, that's a pretty project - I'm sure you'll find it where, and when, you least expect it!

I am grateful for our neighbors.  Actually, we have new neighbors across the street that I haven’t met yet.  There were some fireworks here and there but the only really loud ones were the display over the lake, and those were an official celebration.  

Wow, Judy, you are really churning out those blankets.  Very nice!Thanks! I'm really trying to use up stash. Currently have another for the NICU in the works. Working with WW and sport weight together - The isoletes could use more covers.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, bgs said:

Cindy lucky you that the humidity left.  Its 91% here today so feels like a sauna.  You might know the ufo you want to work on is now mia.

And yet another round of fireworks last night.  Hope its over but its probably not.We usually get them most weekends at least in July - we'll see what happens this coming weekend!

I also have another christening blanket started - CINDY...it's your peek a boo pattern. using a J hook with the pound of love . I think I'll have enough yarn. I did use some of it somewhere else at one point...loL!

• Like 1

Good Morning. :)  It's been a busy week and once again, I've been reading but not posting.  We had more storms last night with one more large branch down.  Thankfully it didn't hit the house!  We've had arborists come every two or three years to keep the trees 'cleaned up'...I'm about ready to have at least one taken out.

We only heard one or two loud fireworks.  Our police department is great.  They announce on social media and in the local paper that they will be patrolling and issuing tickets with fines. 

I have an eye appointment later - may have a cataract.  Something is different!

I just saw Donna's announcement about the upgrade - hope it doesn't last too long.

Have a good day, friends. :manyheart

• Like 1

Mary I am thankful that you and Tampa Doll mentioned the announcement about the forum upgrade.  I am using the mobile version and it was not showing up anywhere until  I pmd Donna.  Also everyone remember we can meet over on Ravelry.   Sorry you had more tree damage.  Thats wonderful that your police dept enforces the fireworks law.  They are not against the law out here as it is a rural area but it sounded as if many of the cities around have laws but were only issuing warnings.

Judy I sort of understand dh not wanting to report it because of not wanting to start something with the neighbors.  You never know if they will retaliate and how things are going to escalate.  Its just so aggravating when you try to be respectful about noise and not letting your kids and pets terrorize the neighborhood and then have a neighbor that thinks nothing of it.

• Like 1

I'm pooped. The house is as ready as it's going to get for the company this weekend. I have a little cooking to do in the morning then everything else except breakfast is on the grill. May be a really interesting time. The forecast is swing around wildly from the original nice weather, to lots of rain, to some rain. We're in the 8"+ forecast for Barry, but I have no idea when that will come through. It wouldn't be that big a deal except one of the guys is bringing his family which includes two small children. But we will survive, no matter what. LOL

• Like 1

Mona ~ I hope you don't get too much bad weather from Barry.   We are in north Texas (Fort Worth) but always pay attention to the coastal weather because it can have an effect in our area. 

Have a good weekend, friends!

Please stay safe, Brenda, Mary and everyone! Flooding is scary - we have low lying areas not too far from us and the "Road Flooded" signs are always alongside the road, ready to be put in position! 

Mona and Mary hope you are doing ok.  They dont think we will see any more than a remnant from Barry and what rain makes it this far inland will hit St. Louis.

For the NICU

IMG_20190713_172934952.jpg

• Like 3