judianne

Our House (Part Three)

10 hours ago, ambiekraftsreads said:

Hi!! I have never quit understood what the Our House thread was. Would someone mind explaining it to me?

Happy Crocheting and God Bless

Hi and welcome to "Our House" ....my name is Judy and I live in New Jersey.

We go through lulls in activity here, but we basically hang around together and share what we're working on craft-wise, whether that's crocheting or knitting. We share our lives here if we're so inclined, and we have no rules, other than to be supportive of each other. 

I actually DO try and enable   encourage everyone to work on things and share pictures of whatever they're to, or on occasion, I'll suggest something. We used to all work on a particular project at the same time, but we haven't done that in a very long time. It just might be time to once again pick a project😃

What is your favorite thing to make?

10 hours ago, ambiekraftsreads said:

Hi!! I have never quit understood what the Our House thread was. Would someone mind explaining it to me?

Happy Crocheting and God Bless

Judy posted this explanation on page 1of the current thread

"Hi, everyone!

A little background for those curious about the title.  The first version of this CAL was started by JulieKay and began January 2007. Ten years ago! Since then we had to archive 1000 pages to start Part Two in February 2011....and here we are again. Part Three! Many of us have known each other for nearly the entire ten years, and others are newcomers to our house. We love newcomers with their excitement and new ideas - so everyone is welcome to join! Trust me, you'll begin to feel like part of the "family" in short order. And never forget: everyone was a beginner at one time, so don't be shy to share pictures of your work or ask questions.

Our crochet-a-long thread crochets their own projects most often, though there have been times we managed to work on the same thing at the same time. There are also times we're here just for support when anyone needs a listening ear. Also, we never talk politics or religion, as is the case with any successful and smooth-running internet group, as this one is. 

Well, that's it, I think. I hope I've done it correctly.  I've seen 7 of us who always post, and I hope I don't lose anyone in this transition. 

I'm asking the admin, Amy to archive the old thread. 

....and may your yarn piles always be abundant!"

Then I went back into an archived thread and found this as I didnt know how it originally started.

~~~~~~ :welcometo our House ~~~~

This is a long running CAL, which originally started when a group began making quiltghans ,using patterns from this website:

http://www.happyyellowhouse.com/

Some of us have been here a long time, others are new members .

Everyone is welcome ,whether you just found Crochetville, or if you've been a member since the beginning .

Our goal is to make this into a friendly place where there's no pressure ,no timelines ,and everyone can work on their own projects at their own pace .

Come on in . :yes

Basically its like dropping in and having coffee or in my case a diet coke with friends and catching up on what they are working on (crochet and anything really), whats going on in their lives, and supporting each other.  

21 hours ago, bgs said:

Judy that does look nice and different.  I will have to look it up.

I am tired this week.  Our heat has moved in and it always takes me awhile to adjust to it.  We had a big bonsai weekend starting with a lecture Fri evening which was 110 mile round trip going thru downtown KC tail end of rush hour but it was worse coming back due to lane closures in multiple places for overnight construction.  If the rain and storms hadnt stopped we for sure would not have gone.  Then all day Sat but at our regular meeting place which is a tad closer and a bit easier to get to.  Dinner Sat evening.  Back in Sun morning in pouring down rain--lots of water in streets.  Made it only to be greeted by hose across drive with sump pump in stairwell.  The downstairs part of the building where we meet has drainage issues and floods.  We have heard the Parks and Rec employees describe past instances but this was the first time we experienced it first hand--areas filling with water and running in under doorways and water coming up through the floor.  Between sump pumps and the shop vac we " muddled" through but it was a mess.  We left early (1pm) for dryer digs---my birthday burger at Red Robin and the Genealogy library.  Tues we made a Walmart run and used my last sunstantial birthday offer.  Today we visited another senior place for lunch and a tour.  Its one we have wanted to see but knew it most likely not in the running.  It crosses the state line and is in a county where things are pretty pricey.  Also when checking, this side of state line was listed as more tax friendly for our circumstances. This one is basically 6 large apartment buildings with many different floor plans interconnected by climate controlled walkways.  I felt a little claustrophobic and the guy in our group using a walker had problems walking so far and didnt take the whole tour.  You would also be walking quite a ways to get to your car.  It was nice that they have a medical center with a couple of drs that you could use for your primary care.  Tomorrow we go back to take some measurements and look again at the unit at the place we are hoping to move to.  We did get the word that we both passed and are competent to be running around on our own.

I crocheted a shawl but may pull it apart because I am not loving the yarn.  It would have been ok had I not made them from Lion Brand Mandala yarn first.  Other than that still making ministockings.

I'm exhausted just reading what you've been up to! It sounds like you're very savvy in researching your next home.

What shawl pattern were you making? I'm curious as to why the Mandala yarn didn't work for you. I have some I was gifted and I'm not sure if I'm going to use the pattern that was sent with the yarn or try my first Virus Shawl. 

Brenda we posted at the same time😂

Thank you so much for going back and finding that info...it says it all💕

52 minutes ago, judianne said:

I'm exhausted just reading what you've been up to! It sounds like you're very savvy in researching your next home.

What shawl pattern were you making? I'm curious as to why the Mandala yarn didn't work for you. I have some I was gifted and I'm not sure if I'm going to use the pattern that was sent with the yarn or try my first Virus Shawl. 

Judy the yarn and pattern sent to you works BEAUTIFULLY TOGETHER.  I have made 4 with that pattern and yarn and am very pleased with each one.  Yarn worked up very soft, cuddly, and such a nice drape. I had previously purchased some Premier Sweet Roll yarn because I love the colorway and just got around to working with it.  It is soft and cushy  but since it is a thicker it drapes differently.  I would have thought it was fine had I not used the Lion Brand Mandala yarn first.

• Like 1

Well, I learned something new today. Tooth resorption is another way for a tooth to go to pot besides a cavity. I had a root canal this morning and he thinks that will save the tooth. It's much sorer than any other root canal I've ever had.

Ok, now there's another yarn I want to try! Just looked at the Mandala and can't decide what color I like best. Brenda, what pattern is it that you like for the mandala yarn? I've been using some Bernat Pop. I really like the color changes in the cakes.

Posted (edited)

Oh no Mona not another way to have tooth problems.

20190107_111823.thumb.jpg.415e06cc3e46945638ed987f4726d41e.jpg20190123_161546.thumb.jpg.4e36919ed8f29484fd254cd9d918ed8e.jpg

Pattern is here

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/151991-my-green-with-envy-shawl-pattern/#entry2637288

I think they looked much nicer in real life.  They are just so soft, cuddly, and lovely drape.  I used an I hook and 2 Lion Brand Mandala cakes (from Walmart).  Yarn is light/3 weight so like sports.  

Their colorways have interesting names and I only wound up with some because dh bought it  for me because it was called gnome----I have several gnomes.  Its the one with orange.  Cant remember but think the other one was wood nymph.

So far my favorite color is troll.  It has seafoam green, violet, hot pink, amethyst, blue and turquoise.  I need to work in ends and take a photo. Last few times I looked at Walmart they didnt have much of that brand on the shelf.  Its amazing how using the same colorway how different they can look.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 3

I remember seeing your pictures--very pretty! I'm definitely going to have to try the yarn and pattern. Thanks for the link.

Getting ready to eat a cookie, take a pain pill, go to bed and hope everything's better in the morning. LOL

Well today we got official acceptance on senior place.  We didnt really think we would qualify.  Even though it feels too expensive and like things are going to be very tight it is a guaranteed home for life so that is huge.  Kind of in shock as neighbors came down and are going to buy this place.  We settled for less than we thought we would but we wont have to fix, clean, and move our stuff out so an agent would show the place.  No agent commission to pay as we will fill out paperwork with title company.  Neighbors said no inspections, are paying cash, all closing costs and will give us lots time to move.  They said we can leave stuff behind that we dont take or sell and most importantly will feed the barn cats.  

• Like 2

That's great, Brenda! It's sounds like you're getting plenty of benefits that make it worth taking less money. I'm sure it feels good to be moving forward with the decision. I hate being in limbo.

I just gave in to temptation and ordered some Mandala yarn from Joann's. It was on sale, plus Joann had a 20% off your order and 4.99 shipping, plus I had a gift card.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I just gave in to temptation and ordered some Mandala yarn from Joann's. It was on sale, plus Joann had a 20% off your order and 4.99 shipping, plus I had a gift card.

I think you will be very pleased with it especially for making shawls.  What colors did you get?

I'm ready to play with color as I'm better than halfway through another christening blanket.... mandala colors are next😄

Wow, you snooze for a few days, and there are a ton of new posts. 

Judy, love that blanket pattern.  I will have to take a look at that tutorial. I am better with written patterns though.

Brenda, how wonderful that everything is falling into place fo your move.  All the work and research is paying off.

Mona, fingers crossed that dh continues to get good reports.  Sorry to hear about the dental issues. I had a mammogram upyesterday, ( my fourth one this year, 😞 , and the technician said she would rather have one of those than go to the dentist,  I’m not too crazy about the dentist either.  Every time I go, I am reminded of some line in a poem by Ogden Nash:

“some tortures are physical, and some are mental, but the one that is both, is dental.”

and it ends:

“And you totter to your feet and think. Well it’s all over now and afterall it was only this once.

And he says come back in three monce.

And this, O Fate, is I think the most vicious circle that thou ever sentest,

That Man has to go continually to the dentist to keep his teeth in good condition

when the chief reason he wants his teeth in good condition

is so that he won’t have to go to the dentist.”

if you want to read read the whole poem it can be found here:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/bds-bachelor-of-dental-surgery/dentists-poem-by-ogden-nash/193146887392780/

I am still plugging away on UFOs.  

• Like 1

Good morning, everyone!  I've just read through posts and have missed a lot!

The last 3 weeks have been a mixed bag of good, bad and ugly. Lol  Major storms three Sundays in a row, power outages that had us (and Zoe and Gracie) staying in a hotel two different times, a major tree limb on the back side of the house...just to name a few fun things. :rolleyes And...U-verse has been out several times!

The boys have been here quite a bit and are very busy.  They go to summer camp next week and are very excited!  We are going to an early 4th picnic today, so I'd better get busy. 

I will be back much sooner now that things have settled down a bit...we have another chance of storms this evening, so keeping fingers crossed. 

No crochet pictures, but Felix and Tank are always entertaining. ♥

IMG_0324.thumb.jpeg.047513692e8b620d1799c34cecedbd1a.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gardener said:

Wow, you snooze for a few days, and there are a ton of new posts. 

Judy, love that blanket pattern.  I will have to take a look at that tutorial. I am better with written patterns though.

I don't like video patterns either, but the lady said it was super easy to follow, and she was right.

Brenda, how wonderful that everything is falling into place fo your move.  All the work and research is paying off.

Mona, fingers crossed that dh continues to get good reports.  Sorry to hear about the dental issues. I had a mammogram upyesterday, ( my fourth one this year, 😞 , and the technician said she would rather have one of those than go to the dentist,  I’m not too crazy about the dentist either.  Every time I go, I am reminded of some line in a poem by Ogden Nash:

“some tortures are physical, and some are mental, but the one that is both, is dental.”

and it ends:

“And you totter to your feet and think. Well it’s all over now and afterall it was only this once.

And he says come back in three monce.

And this, O Fate, is I think the most vicious circle that thou ever sentest,

That Man has to go continually to the dentist to keep his teeth in good condition

when the chief reason he wants his teeth in good condition

is so that he won’t have to go to the dentist.”

if you want to read read the whole poem it can be found here:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/bds-bachelor-of-dental-surgery/dentists-poem-by-ogden-nash/193146887392780/

I am still plugging away on UFOs.  

I get nitrous for fillings....I am a super nervous person going to the dentist...

Mary, I LOVE that pic of the kittens!!  And I"m sorry you've been going through so much with the weather....HUGS!

16 hours ago, bgs said:

Cindy boy how true on the dentist poem. I really hate it when patterns are youtube. I need a written pattern so I found this.  Its a dishcloth but I should be able to learn the stitch pattern and take it from there.

https://www.smart-knit-crocheting.com/drunken-granny-stitch-dishcloth.html

Thanks for posting this. I do better with written patterns too.

Mary so sorry for the damage and that you had to go to a hotel.  Its a horrible sight to see and especially when its yours.  I am cautiously starting to look forward to the move because of things like that.  Thank you for the kitty pictures.  They are just so cute.

Judy I dont know why but I stress more at dr offices than dentist.  I think maybe because I have had the same guy for over 30 years and his office lady/assistant was there with the previous dentist.  They feel more like friends.  And its not like I have only been for cleanings as I have lots of fillings, 4 crowns, 1 root canal, and had braces in my 40's.  Now I imagine I will stress out mega going to someone else when he retires.

I have not worked in ends.  The first is Lion Brand Mandala colorway Troll.  The second is the Premier Sweet Roll forgot color.  I used the same pattern but tried my hand at making it rounded.  Never did come up with a simple repeat like I was hoping and just had to eyeball and adjust by keeping a marker in the center.  It may look off center because I didnt get.it laid out straight for photo.  

20190630_131657.thumb.jpg.e03b859f924cccdcf1fb6b4578aef4a6.jpg20190630_131909.thumb.jpg.8eb13cd007bfdf207259da26925743b1.jpg

• Like 1

Brenda, those are both pretty! I like the rounded version. Thanks for the dishcloth pattern link. I want to try that one.

Cindy, love the poem!

Mary, hope you're past all the bad weather for a long while. The kittens are so cute!

It'll be another busy week with the regular dr trip Tuesday, then family on the 4th and a double birthday party on Saturday for the GDs. The older son called today and he's coming the weekend after that and looks like we'll have several extras then too. I think we'll be cooking lots of hotdogs on the grill.

• Like 1

Just finished a shell stitch christening blanket. Measures 28 by 32

IMG_20190703_174046501.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello!  I'm new here and having a browse around all of the topics.  I love this topic, and the chatter on it.  :)  Let's see. 

My name is Shani and my husband and I have two sons.  We live in central Illinois currently, but are from Michigan.  We arrived here via NY and AZ, and we hope to move soon.  We recently bought a motorhome van and *love* it.  :)  We're planning a three-week trip to the PNW next month.  

Currently I am working on attic24's Interlocking Ripple Blanket for my youngest son.  He chose the colours and their sequence.  And no, he's not a control freak like his mother at all😂 I'll pop a photo in from my phone....

E097594A-E9D0-43E3-812A-74298C817CAA.jpeg

Edited by smskutt
Added photo
  • Like 1

That blanket is so pretty, Judy!  

Posted (edited)

Welcome Shani.  I am glad you joined us.  Nice afghan, colors  and color arrangement. I currently live in a rural area about 50 miles southeast of Kansas City MO but most likely will be moving to a senior place in Lees Summit MO which is a suburb of KC. I was born and raised in KC MO area and lived in area all my life except for last 21 years and have not traveled very much.  We used to keep bees.  We are also into bonsai.  I like crocheting small projects like ministockings that I mail to Warmth for Warriors where they are filled and sent to our active duty military for Christmas.  I make squares that are sent to a lady that assembles them for Pine Ridge Reservation in SD.  I make afghans for Project Linus.  I also like to make potholders and recently have made shawls and dabbled at making some doll clothes for a project one of our fellow villers works with.

Edited by bgs