judianne

Our House (Part Three)

On 5/31/2019 at 1:52 PM, bgs said:

Judy what a pretty cheerful tote bag.  I love it. Your friend is going to be so tickled that you added ladybugs specially for her.  I was wondering how close you were to some of those storms I saw on the news.  If  the tornado last Fri night didnt pass over us it was just a few miles away.  My niece was at work and in the path of that one.  It went aloft by the time it got where she was but dropped debris. It was also aloft when it got to a very busy area---Sporting KC arena, race track, waterpark, very large shopping area and restaurants.    Flash flooding has been bad.  Its bad along the MO river.  I 29 had just reopened after being closed for a long time only to close again.  Amtrak is bussing people between KC and St Louis because tracks are again under water.

Oh, boy....bad! We lived north of St. Louis in the early 70's and the first year we were there the Mississippi flooded badly, completely wiping out he train tracks as well as the highway that ran alongside and people had to find alternate ways to get to work. And that was WITHOUT tornadoes! I can't imagine living through one.....

Anothet levee breach another town flooded.  Need to call our friend that lives there to see if he got his cars out.  Its flooded before and he has his house elevated.

It's been a whirlwind week. I've tried to keep up with the posts. 

Cute kitties, Mary! I'm sure the kids are having fun with them.

Love the bag, Judy!

DH spent two nights in the hospital after having a small stroke that luckily only affected his eyesight. They think it will resolve itself in a week or so. One chemo medicine has been stopped and he's back on his daily aspirin-- hopefully his hemoglobin won't drop again. He was a horrible patient! He has no tolerance when they are just running tests and there is no treatment.

I'm making pretty good progress on a couple of crochet projects and the weather has been nice, just hot, so I guess I really don't have much room to complain. Hope the flooding isn't affecting anyone directly. It's just unbelievable how much rain there has been this winter and spring.

Hi peeps

On 6/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, bgs said:

Anothet levee breach another town flooded.  Need to call our friend that lives there to see if he got his cars out.  Its flooded before and he has his house elevated.After Super storm Sandy many homes near the coast were elevated - but others didn't. Not quite sure how that affects resale in the case of those who didn't do it. But when we look at those stairs on the elevated home - well, that would never be bought by seniors like us. IF we could afford coastal property! 

On 6/2/2019 at 12:05 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

It's been a whirlwind week. I've tried to keep up with the posts. 

Cute kitties, Mary! I'm sure the kids are having fun with them.

Love the bag, Judy! Thanks! It should get to my friend by thursday.

DH spent two nights in the hospital after having a small stroke that luckily only affected his eyesight.Thank goodness it wasn't worse!  They think it will resolve itself in a week or so. One chemo medicine has been stopped and he's back on his daily aspirin-- hopefully his hemoglobin won't drop again. He was a horrible patient!And men do seem to be difficult patients. He has no tolerance when they are just running tests and there is no treatment.

I'm making pretty good progress on a couple of crochet projects and the weather has been nice, just hot, so I guess I really don't have much room to complain. Hope the flooding isn't affecting anyone directly. It's just unbelievable how much rain there has been this winter and spring. I agree ...our yard and the stand of trees in the neighborhood have never looked so lush!

Judy I finally got hold of friend.  I think he is in shock right now.  He said he lost everything but the shirt on his back (and whichever vehicle he was in.)  

On 6/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, bgs said:

Judy I finally got hold of friend.  I think he is in shock right now.  He said he lost everything but the shirt on his back (and whichever vehicle he was in.)  

oh, wow....tg he is ok! I've seen so many pictures on the news - it's terrifying! I remember walking past  the lives near the Arch in St. Louis - I cannot imagine such flooding.....

Good morning, friends. :)

Cindy ~ Congratulations on your retirement!  I'll bet you'll really love not having to get up so early and not driving in ice and snow this winter!

Mona ~ I hope your hubby's eyes are better now. :hug    So glad you've had some crochet time!

Judy ~ I love the tote bag...the colors are so fun and happy. :yes

Hi Brenda!

The last two weeks have been very busy.  Hubby's appointments and another plastic surgery, staying with the boys a lot and just trying to keep up...time flies! 

Sarah and Missy's store continues to get amazing sales!  They've been featured in Fort Worth Magazine and two other regional magazines.  The kittens are so cute and very entertaining.  While we were there Thursday, they decided to start running up and down the stairs. Lol  They hadn't even looked at them before!

We're supposed to have a 105* heat index today and severe storms this evening.  Better get busy!  Have a good Sunday, everyone. :manyheart

• Like 1

Mary love the kitty pictures and dh does as well.  I just want to reach through the screen and hold one. Thats great that the girls store is doing so well.  We have had some days inching into the lower 90's but saw an overnight low this week 51°.  Some days the humidity has been high.  

Mona hope dh is doing ok.  I am not sure I would be a good patient either if I had been through everything your dh has been through.  

Judy I am ready for baseball season to be over.  They are really having to struggle to come up with Royals highlights on the news.  Most of us would rather watch the clips of the Chiefs new qb in off season training camp.

Cindy hope retirement goes well.  Dh found out that what everyone says about being busier after retiring.  

Dh got his medicare card in the mail Fri.  I think we finally figured out what to do there.  We may have his pension straightened out by Sept. Judge ruled in his favor.   Jumped through a major hoop towards moving to the senior place. Hopefully the neighbor still wants to buy our place.  Think I can finally close the books on last Sept cataract surgeries.  Insurance denied payment to surgicenter for first eye because they wanted more info.  I called surgicenter regularly and in Feb they finally sent what insurance wanted and it was paid right away.  Surgicenter actually owed me a sizeable amount of money back since they made me prepay what they thought my part would be.  Those checks finally came last Thurs.

Collette are you out there?Havent seen you around anywhere here for some time

Hi Brenda!  So glad your DH's paperwork and your insurance mess are finally getting straightened out!  They sure have dragged this out and it must be so frustrating! 

And yes, Felix and Tank are as sweet as can be.  Felix is definitely more cuddly and Tank is the instigator!  The boys  have made them a "fort" and a tunnel out of boxes and they play nonstop.

4 more rows to go on a baby 'ghan and then on to the border.:)

• Like 1

Hello to everyone! Hope you have a good week!

It's going to be cooler here. It'll be nice to have a break from the early heat we've had. Looks like it's going to be another fairly busy week. Older DS is coming for a visit next weekend and I need to get some house cleaning done. I've been avoiding it too long. Crocheting is so much more fun.

Brenda, glad your issues are starting to get resolved. Dealing with insurance and paperwork can be frustrating.

Mary, I enjoy your kitten pictures--they're really cute!

Hello ladies. First day of retirement. I’m trying to work out a bit of a routine, so that I don’t fritter my days away.  I started out bright and early this morning with a visit to the lab for a blood draw.  ( those are back already, and all normal). I then spent 30 minutes exercising, 15 minutes weeding, ( all my back could do) and did some laundry.  I think the weeding and exercising will become part of my daily routine, unless it’s too hot to weed.  It’s chilly here today, so I started soup in the crockpot for dinner.  I’m on a mission to use up all the leftovers in the freezer.  We used to eat them on days I worked, but we won’t need them for that anymore.

That took up my morning. Since lunch I’ve been sitting around, crocheting, knitting and reading and telling myself that I would get back to work after the next row or chapter.  So far I haven’t!:)

My boss hosted a retirement tea for me on Friday .  Many former co-workers as well as some retired ICU doctors came.  It was really fun to reminisce with them as well as visit with my current co-workers.  I received a lot of gifts which was totally unexpected!

Brenda, so glad you got all those issues straightened out.  You would think that things could move faster, since it’s all computerized.  (No dreams about work yet!)

Mary, it’s good to hear that dd’s shop is doing so well.  Those kittens are adorable and I bet the boys just love them.

iPad is warning me that it’s about to quit...better push submit....

Hi peeps...

Taking DH to urgent care this AM....he has to be checked out since the icky stuff is still draining into his throat and there isn't much let up.

Horribly humid this morning...so glad my hair is short again. 

On 6/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, Skysmom said:

Couldn't resist...:)

1970420880_Bothkittens.thumb.jpeg.3c945d782b588e40d86edfaf2f55462f.jpeg

kittens.jpeg

Oh, my! they look like statues! Absolutely adorable....good thing they have each other and the kids to help get rid of the kitten crazies!!

On 6/9/2019 at 6:04 PM, bgs said:

Mary love the kitty pictures and dh does as well.  I just want to reach through the screen and hold one. Thats great that the girls store is doing so well.  We have had some days inching into the lower 90's but saw an overnight low this week 51°.  Some days the humidity has been high.  

Mona hope dh is doing ok.  I am not sure I would be a good patient either if I had been through everything your dh has been through.  

Judy I am ready for baseball season to be over.  They are really having to struggle to come up with Royals highlights on the news.  Most of us would rather watch the clips of the Chiefs new qb in off season training camp.

Cindy hope retirement goes well.  Dh found out that what everyone says about being busier after retiring.  

Dh got his medicare card in the mail Fri.  I think we finally figured out what to do there.  We may have his pension straightened out by Sept. Judge ruled in his favor.   Jumped through a major hoop towards moving to the senior place. Hopefully the neighbor still wants to buy our place.  Think I can finally close the books on last Sept cataract surgeries.  Insurance denied payment to surgicenter for first eye because they wanted more info.  I called surgicenter regularly and in Feb they finally sent what insurance wanted and it was paid right away.  Surgicenter actually owed me a sizeable amount of money back since they made me prepay what they thought my part would be.  Those checks finally came last Thurs.

Collette are you out there?Havent seen you around anywhere here for some time

That's rough about baseball. There have been stretches of time where the yankees weren't good at all and the stadium would be half empty! 

There's so much to deal with with medicare etc....I feel for you, really I do!

20 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hello ladies. First day of retirement. I’m trying to work out a bit of a routine, so that I don’t fritter my days away.  I started out bright and early this morning with a visit to the lab for a blood draw.  ( those are back already, and all normal). I then spent 30 minutes exercising, 15 minutes weeding, ( all my back could do) and did some laundry.  I think the weeding and exercising will become part of my daily routine, unless it’s too hot to weed.  It’s chilly here today, so I started soup in the crockpot for dinner.  I’m on a mission to use up all the leftovers in the freezer.  We used to eat them on days I worked, but we won’t need them for that anymore.

That took up my morning. Since lunch I’ve been sitting around, crocheting, knitting and reading and telling myself that I would get back to work after the next row or chapter.  So far I haven’t!:)

My boss hosted a retirement tea for me on Friday .  Many former co-workers as well as some retired ICU doctors came.  It was really fun to reminisce with them as well as visit with my current co-workers.  I received a lot of gifts which was totally unexpected!

Brenda, so glad you got all those issues straightened out.  You would think that things could move faster, since it’s all computerized.  (No dreams about work yet!)

Mary, it’s good to hear that dd’s shop is doing so well.  Those kittens are adorable and I bet the boys just love them.

iPad is warning me that it’s about to quit...better push submit....

Sounds like you're doing great with retirement! Better than I would....I fritter time away too easily...

It sounds like you had a great send off too.....

Have to dash - want to open the doors at urgent care...

EDIT....DH has a sinus infection. If he hd listened to me two days ago he would have had much nicer weekend.

Men!

Edited by judianne
update

Judy hope dh is over his sinus infection so that you both had a better weekend.  

Mary have you started making cat toys yet?  Our TC loved a certain size of yarn balls.  I knotted together scraps leaving long tails, rolling them into a ball, then using a needle to run some of the tails thru the ball so it wouldnt unwind, and trimmed the other ends back to an inch or so.  She loved those.  I tied a long piece or rather multi pieces tied together and tied it to one of the loose ends on one ball so we could throw it past her and pull it back by her.  She also really liked the cardboard rolls from #10 crochet thread.  

Cindy how are you adjusting to retirement?  There are parts I missed and parts I didnt.  Some of us have managed to get together once per year for the last 21 years.  Used to be at Christmas but then moved to after Christmas.  We are all getting old so it was great that the one a year ago was in March and in the afternoon instead of at night.  The weather was so bad this year I am glad they didnt try to have one.  We missed a few in the past because we are too far away to attempt it in what could easily turn into slick roads.  I am hoping we shift to summer if we continue.  Its to the point most are retired and always traveling, busy with the grandkids, and moved to places too small to host a party so it may be over.

Mona hope all is well in your corner of the world.

I heard from Collette--Avon Lady.  She hasnt been around due to problems with her computer.

We have had enough dry days that last week dh was finally able to mow the area that we call the swamp.  Fri we started having daily scattered thunder storms but they are starting to become more widespread with more rain.

• Like 1

Hi ladies. We are finally enjoying some springlike weather, (although it’s cool for June).  I think we are going to go out to Lake Michigan this evening and hike.  Dh wants to take sunset pictures so we won’t go until after dinner.

I am really enjoying retirement, although it still feels odd, not having to go anywhere first thing in the morning!  I overdid things a bit last week, and my back and knees let me know about it.  I got a lot of weeding and tiger outside work done though.  I have lots more to do, but I am waiting for my new garden kneeler/bench to arrive. That will make things easier in both my knees and my back.  Surprisingly, I don’t really miss work, although I do miss my co-workers.  

I have had lots of time to sew, knit and crochet.  Hopefully, I will finish a few UFOs!  I’ve also done some deep cleaning that I haven’t gotten to in a long time.  

Here is one one of my leftover yarn projects.  It’s a blanket, straight knitting, I just grab a ball out of the bag and knit until it’s gone. Right now I am out of leftovers for this one.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Another leftover yarn project. I’m not sure about this one. I’m out of yarn for it as well.

image.jpg

• Like 1

I found this square in with another project. Not sure where I was going with this. There is a lot of the burgundy yarn left, (although I’m not totally onboard with burgundy), so I think I will just keep going until it’s gone, add a white border and call it done.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Hi peeps!

DH has two days left of antibiotic and it took a full week before we even saw the start of him getting better! If he had gone to the doctor days earlier when i suggested it....MEN! He looks at me when i  remind him to finish the entire course of antibiotics....told him i would force open his mouth like i've done with dogs, and put it in his mouth if I had to😂

Read all the posts! Mini stockings...awesome....and Cindy, I love the fact that you're working on UFOs! I also love the scrap knitted blanket. 

Off I go again! Stay well, my friends!

Cindy, I like all your projects. The solid granny is how I'm planning to use up some cake leftovers. Glad retirement is going well.

Brenda, nice squares and stockings, both.  I tried the stockings, but little projects tend to drive me crazy. DH would say it's a short drive. LOL

Judy, that sounds familiar. DH wouldn't ever take his pills if I didn't say here, it's pill time.

DH had city court this morning and then we're headed to pick up a refrigerator and AC for our rental house that hopefully we'll soon be getting some money out of instead of just putting money into it. We'll be going to Little Rock on Sunday for two days of testing and then see DH's oncologist on Wednesday to see what the game plan is.

Hope everyone has a good week!

• Like 1

Hi peeps!

I had trouble finding this thread. Not sure why, but Im here.

Still making christening blankets. We're trying to get a supply in stock so we don't have to scramble on short notice.

I made this new-to-me pattern and it worked up quickly. It's called the Drunken Granny and it has great You Tube tutorial for it. Super easy. One lady from the christening blanket group makes it and I was impressed at how nicely it works up. Measures 29 by 32 and has a sc border. Used almost an entire skien of Yarnspirations from AC Moore with a 5.5mm hook ...or was it a 6?  Short term memory is the first to go😜😂

Hope everyone is doing ok. Summer has well and truly arrived here in NJ.

IMG_20190624_185706946_HDR.jpg

Edited by judianne
  • Like 2

Judy that does look nice and different.  I will have to look it up.

I am tired this week.  Our heat has moved in and it always takes me awhile to adjust to it.  We had a big bonsai weekend starting with a lecture Fri evening which was 110 mile round trip going thru downtown KC tail end of rush hour but it was worse coming back due to lane closures in multiple places for overnight construction.  If the rain and storms hadnt stopped we for sure would not have gone.  Then all day Sat but at our regular meeting place which is a tad closer and a bit easier to get to.  Dinner Sat evening.  Back in Sun morning in pouring down rain--lots of water in streets.  Made it only to be greeted by hose across drive with sump pump in stairwell.  The downstairs part of the building where we meet has drainage issues and floods.  We have heard the Parks and Rec employees describe past instances but this was the first time we experienced it first hand--areas filling with water and running in under doorways and water coming up through the floor.  Between sump pumps and the shop vac we " muddled" through but it was a mess.  We left early (1pm) for dryer digs---my birthday burger at Red Robin and the Genealogy library.  Tues we made a Walmart run and used my last sunstantial birthday offer.  Today we visited another senior place for lunch and a tour.  Its one we have wanted to see but knew it most likely not in the running.  It crosses the state line and is in a county where things are pretty pricey.  Also when checking, this side of state line was listed as more tax friendly for our circumstances. This one is basically 6 large apartment buildings with many different floor plans interconnected by climate controlled walkways.  I felt a little claustrophobic and the guy in our group using a walker had problems walking so far and didnt take the whole tour.  You would also be walking quite a ways to get to your car.  It was nice that they have a medical center with a couple of drs that you could use for your primary care.  Tomorrow we go back to take some measurements and look again at the unit at the place we are hoping to move to.  We did get the word that we both passed and are competent to be running around on our own.

I crocheted a shawl but may pull it apart because I am not loving the yarn.  It would have been ok had I not made them from Lion Brand Mandala yarn first.  Other than that still making ministockings.

• Like 1

Judy, I've never seen that pattern--pretty!

Brenda, I can see why you're tired!

Hello to everyone else!

We're back from Little Rock. DH got a good report and will continue weekly chemo shots and go back in 4 months. It was a particularly tiring trip this time. Started off with a water leak at home Sunday morning. Luckily DS was available to help fix it. I didn't sleep well the first two nights. Lots of sitting around during DH's test. I did crochet most of a lap throw. Really glad to be back home. Got home with a toothache--maybe? It comes and goes and moves around--I know that sounds crazy. Going to the dentist in the morning.

We're headed back into the hot and humid weather. Hope everyone stays cool and has a good week!

• Like 2

Mona so glad dh got a good report.  Wonderful ds could take care of the leak.  Hope its nothing serious on the tooth.