judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Hi ladies. Still cold here and still quite a number of people without power.  Plus, another ice/snow storm headed our way starting tomorrow evening.  The roads are good right now. Im hoping that they stay that way at least through tomorrow morning. I need to go to work for some mandatory education stuff before the beginning of March.  Plus, I need to get a new parking pass, so I can continue to park onsite.

Our internet came back yesterday, and we never lost power, although many in our area did.  When we went to church this morning, we must have seemn at least 10 power company trucks out and about.  I can’t say that I missed the internet much. I don’t need it to read or crochet, but Dh likes to watch Netflix, so he missed it.

I’m ready for spring!  

Mary I did a few baby blankets with that stitch.  It was Walmart Mainstays equivalent to RHSS.  I didnt like the way it felt using an H hook but tried again with I think a K hook and just loved it.  I somhow figured out a way to use that same stitch to go around thr blankets for the border and to use up as much of my aunts yarn as possible.  I keep thinking I want to play with it to see if I could do one totally in rounds but moved on to something else.

Well we had another round of freezing drizzle this morning.  Just enough to make it slick.  Churches cancelled services.  About 10 it started melting.  Wish there was some sunshine to go with above freezing temp so the ice snow pack would melt on side streets and in front of our house where we park.

Dh said he really enjoyed performing with the dulcimer group at the church (where the dulcimer club meets) Chocolate Festival yesterday.  He said at first he thought he might be nervous but the more he practiced the more he started looking forward to it.  Afterwards they were rewarded with a plate of chocolate treats.   After that we had late lunch early supper at a place called Dixon's Chili Parlor.  This is their 100th year.  Even though chili is their specialty their special is all you can eat tacos.  Their chili is called a spread and comes on a plate with little bowls of things to add to it but used to be if you requested ketchup they charged extra.  Its also the only place I know where I can get coconut meringue pie.  I honestly do not like desserts at most restaurants and am not a big chocolate lover.  After two trips to Dixons a month or do apart and them being out of my pie the next couple of times I went in I asked if they had it and to please make sure I got a piece of it when I was through with my tacos.  I didnt care if they brought it with my tacos.

Good Morning!  It's rainy and the fog is slowly going away, but at least it's warming up!

Cindy ~ So glad you all haven't lost power!   Stay safe on the roads today. :yes

Brenda ~ Your weekend sounds like fun.  If a restaurant has been open 100 years, they have to be good!  Your post helped me solve what to have for supper tonight...tacos sound yummy!  I'm not much of a dessert person either, but apple pie is my favorite. 

Yes, the blanket stitch is a yarn eater!  I've been using my J hook with I Love This Yarn and it seems to be 'just right.'

We had fun with the boys Saturday.  Their neighborhood is completely built up now...in less than 3 years.  It's small and gated, so the boys are allowed to ride their bikes/scooters by themselves.  DD has cautioned them about strangers and they are both aware.  So it's fun to see them go on "adventures" together.  I walked with them and they showed me their secret places at the small park. LOL

Other than taking DH to get a haircut, we'll be here today.  Have a good Monday, friends. :manyheart

• Like 1

Good morning, all! After a busy weekend with company and having trouble getting myself together yesterday, I'm ready to start a new week and a new attitude. LOL Only two "events" on the calendar this week--I have WW tonight and DH has a meeting tomorrow. So I hope to get some things done in the house, crochet some and work on taxes this week. 

Dessert is my problem! I love it, almost anything except coconut, and I especially love chocolate. DH always gives me a huge heart box of chocolate candy for Valentine's and I always eat it all even though I know the scales will not be pretty afterwards. Hopefully I can have the GDs over enough to help with it.

It's going to be a mostly rainy week with just a little sun but at least it's fairly warm. I hope eveyone's ice is going away and you still have electricity.

Its drizzling again this morning but is just warm enough it does not appear to be freezing but I wouldnt trust it to not be slick in places.  

Mary sounds like the boys probably have some grand adventures.  I like pretty much all fruit pies/cobbler.  My favorite would be made from these tart little cherries we used to get at my uncle's (note the used to as tree and uncle are gone).  My dad used to make really good fresh strawberry pies.  My grandma made chocolate, banana, butterscotch, and coconut we called them cream pies but they were topped with meringue with her farm fresh eggs and cream.  Its sort of hard to find those on the dessert menu.  I went many many years without having any.

Mona hope your week remains uneventful.  Right now we have a box of chocolates sitting on the shelf that someone gave us two Christmases ago.  All I am going to want from it are the caramels. I would really rather have some chips and dip. I used to like sweets much more than I do now but chocolate was never a favorite.

I need 3 to 4 days with a break in the weather so we can get in the attic to bring down boxes so I can put Christmas away and get them back in the attic.    We have to access it from the outside.   The last run of decent weather was immediately after Christmas and it was just too soon.  

Hi peeps!

Mary, the web site your DD has is very well done! I hope they are successful❤️

• Like 1

Hi ladies. We are in the middle of another big snowstorm. We got around 8 inches overnight, plus at least another 4 today. It’s still snowing!  

We had our oldest grandson over for his birthday visit today. We just got back from taking him home.  He stayed over last night and he would have liked to stay tonight as well, (and we would have loved to have him), but he is homeschooled and he hates to get off schedule, so he opted for home.  We went out for burgers and then took him home.  Driving was not the greatest, but it could have been much worse.  (And sadly, we are getting used to it.)

I dug out my Sophie’s universe afghan that I started a year or two ago.  It was kind of hard to figure out where I was on it.  I need to start adding notes to my UFOs .  

• Like 1

Cindy I was afraid you and Judy were getting walloped with snow and ice.  We are getting a few days  reprieve.  Then it starts all over again----3 storms with a possible 12 inches of snow total.  

'Morning, House. :)

Cindy ~ Your weather sure doesn't sound fun!  So glad you were able to spend time with your grandson.  I remember the Sophie's Universe pattern...it's so pretty.  Let us know how it's going!

Judy ~ Thank you for the compliment on DD's website.  In her words, "they are rocking" and are quickly replenishing their inventory!   I hope you all are staying warm.  How is Miss Lucy?  Gracie is acting a little more mature...sometimes. Lol

Brenda ~ My grandparents had two cherry trees in their backyard in Iowa.  I remember having tummy aches from eating way too many of those tart cherries. :lol 

Mona ~ Try and enjoy your "quiet" week!  I love the days when we don't have to be anywhere and I can get things done around the house...or just crochet!

Back to laundry and the desk.  Have a good Wednesday, friends. :manyheart

So...it is still snowing, but tomorrow we get a reprieve!  It’s going to switch over to a “wintry mix”. Around here that means freezing rain, snow and sleet all mixed together.  I knew that I should have worried about January and February when it was 50 and 60 degrees much of December.  Still, Spring is closer than it was yesterday, and my grandsons are excite.  They love snow!

Cindy ~ Some reprieve! Lol  Stay safe and warm. :)

Happy Valentine's Day!  :manyheart

We're going out to lunch and then I'm getting a much needed haircut...our lives are so exciting. :lol  I hope everyone has a good day. :)

Hope everyone's weather is being nicer!

We're eating out tonight with all three grandkids. Our first time to try it with the one year old. DS is out of town for the week and this is DIL's night to swim. Fingers crossed everyone is in a good mood.

Still in our reprieve period here.  Nasty stuff returns tomorrow and sounds like its going to once again screw up weekend plans. Trying to figure out where to go eat lunch for Valentines day.  Need to make a PO run.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skysmom said:

Happy Valentine's Day!  :manyheart

We're going out to lunch and then I'm getting a much needed haircut...our lives are so exciting. :lol  I hope everyone has a good day. :)

Your lives sound like ours...lol!

3 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Hope everyone's weather is being nicer!

We're eating out tonight with all three grandkids. Our first time to try it with the one year old. DS is out of town for the week and this is DIL's night to swim. Fingers crossed everyone is in a good mood.

That should be interesting....lol! Enjoy :)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, LADIES! 😍

Hi House. :)  I hope you all are okay and staying warm!  It's in the 30's with lots of wind and we're supposed to have lots of rain tonight and tomorrow...keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't go below freezing!

I finished another baby 'ghan using the blanket stitch.  I haven't gotten tired of it yet. :lol

Have a good evening, friends. :manyheart

100_3591.JPG

• Like 2

Mary, another pretty one!

It's going to be raining all week here with flood warnings that luckily mostly just affect farm land around the river. I hope to stay in this week except for local errands and DH's dentist appt Thursday.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 1

76 by 48 Sweet Pea blanket, an Attic24 CAL. Couldn't wait to get the border meant for it, so I used the linen stitch on her site. My goddaughter fell in love with the look before it was half finished....so it's hers😍

IMG_20190218_142832116.jpg

IMG_20190218_114502117.jpg

IMG_20190218_111134204.jpg

• Like 1

Hi House. :rain

Mona ~ So glad you're having a quiet week.  No fun getting out in the rain!

Judy ~ Oh my...your afghan is gorgeous!  Love the colors and the border, too. :hook  Alyson (sp?)  will love it!

Mary love your blanket stitch ghan.  Such a pretty color combo.

Judy love yours too.  Was that one of their yarn kits and color arrangements?  I really liked it and would never have known to combine those colors especially the green end.  I tend to not care for the colors on the green end and have a hard time working with colors I dont like.  I often have to tell myself it is my personal bias and there are people that love those colors.  On occasion I have made squares for someone else using several colors they liked but colors I strongly dislike but wound up loving the combination.

Last night we had our third major weather event in 5 days besides the ones the week before.  47 car pileup on interstate nearby. We are in survival mode which is getting tiresome.  We are in fine form dh's side hurting from a fall wondering if it was a cracked rib and me down in my back.  Both are better but this week I have a finger tip that wants to stay numb so I must be pinching a nerve in my arm

Hi ladies, sorry that I’ve been so quiet.  I’ve been in the mood to clean, and I thought I had better take advantage of it!  I totally revamped our master bedroom closet. I bought all new organizers and even managed to get hubby on board with sorting his belongings.  It looks great!  Unfortunately, the mood has now passed!

Judy and Mary, your afghans are gorgeous.  

Our weather has improved a bit.  It was actually above freezing today.  I’m sure winter is far from over, but it’s nice to get a bit of a break!

enjoy your evening!

We are squishing here. I emptied almost 4" of rain out of the rain gauge this evening and we're predicted to get 2-4" more through Saturday. Needless to say the ground is saturated and the bayous and rivers are rising.

I worked on taxes yesterday afternoon and did odds and ends after we got home today. No crocheting either day.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

I just thought it was wet Thursday. We've now had 12" of rain this week and there is lots of water in the yard from overflowing ditches.

I got some crocheting time in yesterday and made an Easter washcloth. I've got lots of little chores today to get ready to go to Little Rock tomorrow. Crochet projects are packed and ready.