judianne

Our House (Part Three)

So far this morning its warmed up to -5.  I just keep focusing on those 50 and 60's in the weather cast for Sat and Sun.  Dh is keeping a little fire going in the woodstove and trying to not get it too hot on me.  Did I tell you all about the time we were at the neighbors around a bonfire and neighbor excitedly told dh his shoes were melting----glowing red.  Dh was just comfy soaking up all that heat.

Cindy hope you and your family are making it thru this weather ok and everyone is making it where they have to go and back home without incident. And I agree with you I would rather they tell me they postponed delivery because of weather than fib about not being able to get up the drive.  

Judy I probably should thin out cookbooks too.  I have my grandmas recipe box, mine and my sisters.  Several years ago I typed many of the recipes into the computer noting if it was grandmas, aunts, from a cookbook, etc and printed off cook books for my sisters and myself so that is the book I grab the most.  I have 3 Betty Crocker books.  One may be the first one they printed.  It belonged to a neighbor friend who is long gone.  I have a newer hardbound edition but its still old--- copyright 1972 that I used to use a lot.  Would still be using it a lot but I also added most used recipes into our family cookbook.  Geesh even my new one dh got me for Christmas 5 or 6 years ago is starting to get old.   I was thinking about your comment of being in a poorly insulated house and this frigid weather thinking it was colder for you than us.

Mary hope the appointments go ok .  I am glad we dont need to go anywhere today.

Still in a deep freeze here. More snow falling. Today the Tanger outlet Mall is closed and there is no mail delivery service. However, our son said his 45 mile commute wasn’t the worst he’s seen.  We did see the sun for a little while this morning. 

Still cleaning and purging in the basement.  Might even get rid of some yarn!

Hi again....the wind is picking up now, and the temps will start to drop. Never got any snow, but we've been getting alerts from the water company as to how to prevent or pipes from freezing😬

32 minutes ago, bgs said:

So far this morning its warmed up to -5.  I just keep focusing on those 50 and 60's in the weather cast for Sat and Sun.  Dh is keeping a little fire going in the woodstove and trying to not get it too hot on me.  Did I tell you all about the time we were at the neighbors around a bonfire and neighbor excitedly told dh his shoes were melting----glowing red.  Dh was just comfy soaking up all that heat.

Cindy hope you and your family are making it thru this weather ok and everyone is making it where they have to go and back home without incident. And I agree with you I would rather they tell me they postponed delivery because of weather than fib about not being able to get up the drive.  

Judy I probably should thin out cookbooks too.  I have my grandmas recipe box, mine and my sisters.  Several years ago I typed many of the recipes into the computer noting if it was grandmas, aunts, from a cookbook, etc and printed off cook books for my sisters and myself so that is the book I grab the most.  I have 3 Betty Crocker books.  One may be the first one they printed.  It belonged to a neighbor friend who is long gone.  I have a newer hardbound edition but its still old--- copyright 1972 that I used to use a lot.  Would still be using it a lot but I also added most used recipes into our family cookbook.  Geesh even my new one dh got me for Christmas 5 or 6 years ago is starting to get old.   I was thinking about your comment of being in a poorly insulated house and this frigid weather thinking it was colder for you than us. Most definitely colder inside! by late this afternoon it'll really drop, and by 8 or so in the morning the real feel will be -16   Even DH is asking which faucets should be left at a slow drip!

Mary hope the appointments go ok .  I am glad we dont need to go anywhere today.

Sounds like my cookbook collection!!! I have one that's held together with duct tape🙃

24 minutes ago, Gardener said:

Still in a deep freeze here. More snow falling. Today the Tanger outlet Mall is closed and there is no mail delivery service. However, our son said his 45 mile commute wasn’t the worst he’s seen.  We did see the sun for a little while this morning. 

Still cleaning and purging in the basement.  Might even get rid of some yarn!

Been watching the news about the weather in your neck of the woods! Yikes!

Stay safe everyone❤️

21 hours ago, Gardener said:

Back on Dec 18, I ordered a new kitchen stove.  It was supposed to come within two weeks. Well, they finally tried to deliver it today, but called and said they couldn’t make it up our driveway after three attempts, so we would have to wait at least a few more days. Well, I would believe that, except that there is no evidence that anyone attempted to enter our driveway.  Why couldn’t they just say the roads were too bad to come out here, instead of lying?  After all, I wasn’t really expecting them to come out in this weather.  

Wouldn't you expect that one of the delivery guys would have had a cellphone on him, to call you when they tried to deliver it??  Sounds suspicious....

Well, yesterday was a kick you in the butt kind of day. DH had his PET scan--no bone lesions, but he has a mass in his chest. Biopsy next Thursday. If it's what the Dr thinks, it responds well to radiation therapy. So we'll definitely be going to Little Rock for a consult. On the bright side his anemia is improving and I got a lot of crochet time.

I'm using the little balls left over from the moorland blanket and making the GDs little shawlettes. They love to play dress-up. I finished one and got a good start on the other. 

It's supposed to hit 60 today and be warm for a while. Hope everyone is starting to warm up!

Hello ladies. Today the sun is shining and my new stove was delivered. However they broke one of the oven doors. It has been temporarily replaced with a slate colored door, until the new stainless one comes in.  So, maybe my new Kindle will show up today too.  It was supposed to be my birthday present, but the tracking keeps saying it’s been delayed.  It was shipped via UPS and I saw the truck in our neighborhood yesterday, so I know they were out delivering things.

just in case it doesn’t come, I thought I’d buy myself a few things, so I did a little online shopping this morning,  plus somewhere I saw that Herschners has a huge yarn sale tomorrow.  Probably a good thing that I have to work  I certainly don’t need yarn!

Last night I made Dh a ski mask to wear while shoveling and so forth  he said his face got cold right away.

077C95D4-BAFB-4A5D-8F0B-5C94FC8F98A5.jpeg

• Like 1

Cindy, that's a great ski mask for your hubby! This  has been frostbite weather, for sure. I don't remember the temps being this cold, and with the wind!!!!

On 2/1/2019 at 7:50 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Well, yesterday was a kick you in the butt kind of day. DH had his PET scan--no bone lesions, but he has a mass in his chest. Biopsy next Thursday. If it's what the Dr thinks, it responds well to radiation therapy. I'm so very sorry to hear that... ☹️So we'll definitely be going to Little Rock for a consult. On the bright side his anemia is improving and I got a lot of crochet time.

I'm using the little balls left over from the moorland blanket and making the GDs little shawlettes. They love to play dress-up. I finished one and got a good start on the other. That's so sweet!

It's supposed to hit 60 today and be warm for a while. Hope everyone is starting to warm up!

we may be in the high fifties in a couple of days....

Mona, so sorry to hear of hubby’s test results.

Judy, we are starting to warm up too, although it doesn’t sound like we will make it to 50. 

• Like 1

:yay 57° here today and it felt very warm in spite of no sun and dampness. 

Mona so sorry for the news on dh.  How long does it take you to get to Little Rock?  The shawlettes sound adorable.

Cindy nice job on the ski mask.  It looked like it was a lot colder for you and Judy than here and it was too cold here. 

Cindy, the ski mask looks really warm!

Brenda, it's a 3 hour drive, so that's certainly doable. And we have friends who have already offered to help with the driving if needed.

It's foggy this morning and we have a chance of rain all week but at least it's going to be warm. I've got a couple of house chores I've been putting off that I really, really will get done today. Then back to the baby blanket.

Mona its doable but sure makes for a long tiresome day.  

Here are the shawlettes I made for the GDs from leftover yarn.

shawlettes.jpg

• Like 2

Mona those are really nice.  I like the pattern.

Hi peeps!

Mona, the granddaughters will LOVE the shawlettes! The Stylecraft yarn is so soft, too....

So happy to hear you will have help with the driving if needed❤️

I almost forgot....we had a former coworker of DH's stop by Saturday and she used to use a knitting loom....guess what she brought me: YARN!!!!! Washable wool, probably #5 size  (20% wool) in burgundy and beige - a TON of it. I have the perfect bedspread pattern in mind (Giant squares, because I'm not sure how far it will go) 

I may never come out from under my yarn stash at this rate🤣

'Morning all. :)   Once again, I'm playing catch up. 

Mona ~ Thinking of you all and sending hugs. :hug   The shawlettes are wonderful...and such a great way to use up some stash! 

Cindy ~ Great ski mask!  I know it was appreciated by your hubby. :yes

Judy ~ How fun to be given all that yarn!  Can't wait to see the colors and pattern.

Hi to those I've missed, too. ♥  We'll be gone for several hours.  DH is having the second Moh's procedure on his face today.

Oh!  I looked through all the terms of use and think it's okay for me to post DD's website link.  They went live on the first and have had a great response so far...over 20 sales!  I'm so proud of them and just wanted to share. :manyheart

https://fittedfw.com/

• Like 1

Good Morning :)  Almost 80* the last two days and in the 20's this morning...crazy weather!

Mona ~ Thinking of you all today as your DH has his biopsy. :hug 

We're in for the day which always makes me happy.  We had thunder, lightning and small hail starting about 3:30, so of course I was up with Gracie.  She finally crawled under the covers next to me, but I couldn't go back to sleep.  Going to be a very long day. :lol

Here is an afghan I finished before Christmas.  I just finished a smaller one for Project Linus.  It's the blanket stitch again.

100_3574.JPG

Mary that is a lovely afghan.  You have such a knack for combining colors.

We are buried in ice. We still have power, but our internet is out.  Lots of trees are down causing a lot of damage. One of my co workers had a tree fall on her house today. 3 holes in her roof, plus a deck demolished. We lost a tree and have a lot of big branches down. Many people are without power. More ice is expected this evening, Followed by snow. I’m so ready for spring!

Mary, the blanket is very pretty! DH's biopsy went fine, no problems, just took forever.

Cindy, hope you don't lose power. I don't think there's anything worse than an ice storm except a tornado.

It was raining and the temps dropping by the time we got home. We have a slight chance of sleet tonight, but hopefully the rain will have moved through before the temps get that low. I got over half of a small car seat baby blanket crocheted today.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments, Ladies. :manyheart

Cindy ~ Stay safe with all of the ice!  Several years ago we lost power and the internet because of an ice storm, but we had neighbors lose very old oak trees.  I hope you all are okay.

Mona ~ I think you're getting the effects of what we got early this morning. They are predicting a "wintry mix" tomorrow afternoon. It's amazing what we can do with our hooks and yarn waiting at doctor's appointments. :hug

Have a good evening, friends. ♥♥♥

Mary your dd website looks wonderful.  I wish her much success.  Love the lapghan.

Mona glad the biopsy went well and hoping for the best results possible.

Cindy we are in a similiar situation as far as ice but not as bad here.  

Sat and Sun we were in the 60's.  Mon a d early Tues still in 50's.  Tues about noon when dh got back from dulcimer rehearsal ice was freezing on the windshield.  That afternoon and Wed we had freezing drizzle so things were coated with a paper thickness of ice.  Wed night we had thunder and lightening all night with more freezing drizzle, rain, sleet, and snow up through about noon on Thurs.  Thankfully we did not loose power. Needless to say the roads have been bad.  Saw footage of a school bus sliding sideways down a hill and the rolling over- no serious injuries, two killed on the interstate out here in our area.  Glad dh had sense enough to not respond to the call on his pager for the overturned cattle truck as there are too many hills and curves between here and the station.  As it was one pumper got stuck and one tanker slid into an ambulance.  We ventured out today to run up town. Dh was going to get out anyway.  He hasnt been out anywhere since Tues morning and he just cant stand not getting in the car and going somewhere.    I told him there was a few things I could use from the grocery store if they werent out.  When he asked what time did I want to go I said lunch time which meant I wanted lunch at the Mexican restaurant across from the grocery store.  Well the roads were not as good as I hoped.  Of course our gravel road has ice, then sleet and snow.  The state highway has parts that are covered and parts completely down to pavement.  It was better coming back as the sun was melting some of it even though the temp was only 17° out.  Parking lots not terribly good.  This stuff just doesnt scrape off and its better to leave the sleet and snow layer for traction.  Supposed to get above freezing tomorrow with more snow Sun, Mon Tues.  Ok I am officially sick of winter.

Hi peeps!

On 2/7/2019 at 12:28 PM, Skysmom said:

Good Morning :)  Almost 80* the last two days and in the 20's this morning...crazy weather!

We're in for the day which always makes me happy.  We had thunder, lightning and small hail starting about 3:30, so of course I was up with Gracie.  She finally crawled under the covers next to me, but I couldn't go back to sleep.  Going to be a very long day. :lol

Here is an afghan I finished before Christmas.  I just finished a smaller one for Project Linus.  It's the blanket stitch again.

100_3574.JPG

Oh, my - soooo beautiful! I love how the colors blend together😍  I love that stitch too - just get bored making it all one color, so haven't used it in christening blankets - in fact, I frogged one I had started because I was so bored and it seemed to be taking forever to grow!🤣

I'm going to explore that website!

On 2/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, Gardener said:

Mary that is a lovely afghan.  You have such a knack for combining colors.

We are buried in ice. We still have power, but our internet is out.  Lots of trees are down causing a lot of damage. One of my co workers had a tree fall on her house today. 3 holes in her roof, plus a deck demolished. We lost a tree and have a lot of big branches down. Many people are without power. More ice is expected this evening, Followed by snow. I’m so ready for spring!

Oh, wow! That's bad....  We had a tease of Spring a couple of days ago, even the air smelled different! This morning, a real feel of 9 degrees...oh well....

17 hours ago, bgs said:

Mary your dd website looks wonderful.  I wish her much success.  Love the lapghan.

Mona glad the biopsy went well and hoping for the best results possible.

Cindy we are in a similiar situation as far as ice but not as bad here.  

Sat and Sun we were in the 60's.  Mon a d early Tues still in 50's.  Tues about noon when dh got back from dulcimer rehearsal ice was freezing on the windshield.  That afternoon and Wed we had freezing drizzle so things were coated with a paper thickness of ice.  Wed night we had thunder and lightening all night with more freezing drizzle, rain, sleet, and snow up through about noon on Thurs.  Thankfully we did not loose power. Needless to say the roads have been bad.  Saw footage of a school bus sliding sideways down a hill and the rolling over- no serious injuries, two killed on the interstate out here in our area.  Glad dh had sense enough to not respond to the call on his pager for the overturned cattle truck as there are too many hills and curves between here and the station.  As it was one pumper got stuck and one tanker slid into an ambulance.  We ventured out today to run up town. Dh was going to get out anyway.  He hasnt been out anywhere since Tues morning and he just cant stand not getting in the car and going somewhere.    I told him there was a few things I could use from the grocery store if they werent out.  When he asked what time did I want to go I said lunch time which meant I wanted lunch at the Mexican restaurant across from the grocery store.  Well the roads were not as good as I hoped.  Of course our gravel road has ice, then sleet and snow.  The state highway has parts that are covered and parts completely down to pavement.  It was better coming back as the sun was melting some of it even though the temp was only 17° out.  Parking lots not terribly good.  This stuff just doesnt scrape off and its better to leave the sleet and snow layer for traction.  Supposed to get above freezing tomorrow with more snow Sun, Mon Tues.  Ok I am officially sick of winter.

I remember back in the 70's when we lived just outside of St.Louis - there was an ice storm and left a couple of inches on the ground and sealed our curbside mailbox.  Hubby came home from work and turned into the driveway....but ended up in the middle of the lawn! 

We'll take snow over that any day!

Spring can't come fast enough🌼

On 2/7/2019 at 12:28 PM, Skysmom said:

100_3574.JPG

Beautiful blanket.  Is there a pattern for this?  I like to make the baby blankets that don't have holes in them.

'Morning House. :flake  Thank you for the sweet compliments!  We had a few flurries during the night, but thankfully the roads are clear.

Hi segi1974! ~ The pattern has more than one name, but I've always called it "blanket stitch."  Super easy and so soft!  Here is just one link: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/blanket-stitch

We're going to DD's this am to stay with the boys.  Have a great day, everyone. :manyheart