judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Good morning. Still winter here. :(  freezing rain in the forecast.  Luckily I have nowhere to go today.

Mil is making slow progress. Still confused but not quite as bad.  They finally figured out that she has pneumonia.  Hopefully she can go home in a few days. (She lives in assisted living in a nursing home.)  I think her confusion will improve faster if she is in a familiar environment.

Mona have fun at your retreat.  Hope you get a lot accomplished.  I’m franticallly trying to finish an afghan that I started years ago, as a Christmas gift or DD2.  I don’t know why I always have to wait until the last minute......

I also had big plans to make a quilted denim throw for ds. He wanted one that his dogs wouldn’t destroy.  

Hope everyone is well!

• Like 1

Good Morning.  :)  Not sure how it got to be Friday already, but the days have all run together lately! 

Cindy ~ I'm so sorry that your MIL has been ill.  Hopefully she will be back in her own place very soon.  Your weather doesn't sound fun...stay safe on the roads. :yes

Brenda ~ Your Thanksgiving weekend sounds wonderful!  You're ahead of me with the decorating.  My trees are in the house, but not decorated yet.  Hubby hurt his shoulder so we are calling our handyman friend to help get some more things out of the attic.

Mona ~ How fun to have a weekend with friends and your hook and yarn!

Judy ~ I remember many years of using the finer baby yarn!  Now it would be hard to get used to.  We've been pretty good at a low carb, low fat diet for a few months.  A few months ago, his labs were not good, but they have improved a lot since then.  We usually splurge once a week, though. :lol

No appointments or errands today!  After some paperwork and laundry, I hope to crochet.

Here is the vintage vertical stripes afghan I finished a couple of weeks ago.  It's about 45 by 50 and I quit when I ran out of 2 colors of yarn. :)

100_3509.JPG

100_3526.JPG

• Like 1

Hi peeps!

Mary, I love that ghan. Did you get the idea on your own? It looks so simple but would make a great stash buster - if I ever come up for air from making christening blankets!

Edited by judianne

Thank you, Judy! ♥  No, it's Bella Dia's Vintage Vertical Stripes pattern.

https://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/11/vintage_vertica.html 

The yarn is Vanna's Choice...and of course, I copied someone's color plan except for one or two(?) colors. Lol  I can't remember the blogger's name and lost all my bookmarks a few years ago when I had to have my operating system replaced.  I need to go through printed patterns...I think I made a baby afghan from her site.  Hmm - another senior moment. :lol

• Like 1

Everyone is quiet! 

I finished my last Christening blanket for a while - now it's time to finish some WIPs!

I have bazillion squares i made using the Woodland yarn pack, so now I'm edging them. I thought I would try for a symmetrical layout, but after putting them on the floor and trying it I gave up. I'll finish edging all of them and then, in grab bag fashion, pull out a square and whip stitch them together. I actually started doing that a while ago - may sew as I go, too. Whatever - It'll be a finish and probably something I'll keep. Like I need another afghan...lol! It'll be a true crazy quilt.

Hope everyone is doing ok!

Mary, I love your stripes! I bookmarked it to use for lap throws for the nursing home.

Judy, can't wait to see your woodland squares.

DH is getting ready for a colonoscopy tomorrow, so he is a grumpy bear. I gave him a movie to watch to help distract him.

The knitting retreat was great except for falling down when my foot slipped in some mud on the sidewalk--aka Charlie Brown kicking the football. Found out you can get whiplash from falling. It's much better today.

Off to fill the bird feeders and then settle in with my books and yarn.

Mary I like your ghan.  I think I will try that pattern next time I make lapghans for w4w.  I posted pics of my last batch over in the Boxing Day thread.

Mona sorry you fell and got hurt.  Its amazing how many places hurt after falling.  

We had snow flurries all day yesterday that left a dusting on the ground.  Today we had sun and temps in the 40's.  Tomorrow its supposed to snow again with an inch accumulation.  

• Like 1

Good Morning. :)  Thank you for the compliments on the afghan! :manyheart

Mona ~ Oh, I hope you are feeling much better.  Falls can be so scary. :hug    'Hope your hubby's procedure goes well today...I always dread colonoscopies!

Brenda ~ The stripes afghan would be perfect for a lapghan!  If you don't mind millions of double crochets, it's an easy pattern. :lol  Stay safe and warm!

Judy ~ I can't wait to see what you do with the squares.  You are always so good at color placement. :yes

Cindy ~ I hope your MIL is doing better. ♥♥♥  How is the afghan coming along?

It's been a busy week, but then that's nothing new. Lol  Driving to all the appointments is the hardest part for me.  My little Etsy shop got very busy and I'm mailing out another 5 orders today!  I love it and it gives me something to focus on that is positive and rewarding. :) 

Have a good day, everyone. :manyheart

Mary thats great on the orders from your etsy shop.  Dh would like me to try to sell crochet stuff but I tell him its hard to get the money out of things to cover what you pay for the yarn let alone anything for your time and I would rather choose who to give it to and when so I make things for charities.  Its snowing again.  I cant remember having this many snow falls before Christmas.  Oh before I forget I like your candy cane avatar.  

Hi ladies.  Mil was back in the hospital again this week.  Currently she is in the nursing home section where her assisted living place is. She is very weak, and although she says she wants to go back to assisted living, she’s not all that motivated to work with the physical therapists.  She’s never been very ambitious.  

Brenda, I think we’ve had a lot of snow already too.

Mona, so sorry about the fall.  My hand still hurts if I move it wrong and it’s been at least two weeks since I fell in the garage.  And poor DH, I just had a colonoscopy in November.  The day before is no fun!

Mary, I made an afghan using that vintage stripes pattern a year or two ago. I really liked how it worked up.  WTG on your Etsy success!

Judy...ugh...sewing squares.....  However, I’m sure they will look great when you’ve got them together.

On Tuesday evening we went to the local Botanical gardens to hear their strolling carolers.  They were great, but wow, was it ever busy there.  The carolers are going to be there every Tuesday until Christmas. Tomorrow we are going to a Christmas concert. (I love Christmas music, Dh is just humoring me!). 

I just did most of the rest of my Christmas shopping on Amazon.  Plus I wrapped what I have already bought. I think that the only thing I still need to get is a hostess gift for my sister in law.  She has a sit down Christmas dinner  for our family every year. Typically she has about 60 guests there.  ( they have a huge house, her kitchen dining area easily seats 20 or more people, plus another 8 or 10 at the island.  Then they have a formal dining room, and she also sets up a table in the family room.). She has enough matching dishes for that many people too.  She does it twice every year, once for our family and again for hers.  Her side of the family is even bigger.  She loves to cook and entertain.  We bring appetizers, salads and desserts, but she also makes some of those things.  I’m tired just writing about it!

Hi peeps.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, bgs said:

Mary I like your ghan.  I think I will try that pattern next time I make lapghans for w4w.  I posted pics of my last batch over in the Boxing Day thread.

Mona sorry you fell and got hurt.  Its amazing how many places hurt after falling.  

We had snow flurries all day yesterday that left a dusting on the ground.  Today we had sun and temps in the 40's.  Tomorrow its supposed to snow again with an inch accumulation.  

I love the RR's you made! My favorite pattern, next to Red Hearts Textured throw.

Mona, I'm so glad you didn't hurt yourself seriously when you fell!

On 12/6/2018 at 7:01 AM, Skysmom said:

Good Morning. :)  Thank you for the compliments on the afghan! :manyheart

Mona ~ Oh, I hope you are feeling much better.  Falls can be so scary. :hug    'Hope your hubby's procedure goes well today...I always dread colonoscopies!

Brenda ~ The stripes afghan would be perfect for a lapghan!  If you don't mind millions of double crochets, it's an easy pattern. :lol  Stay safe and warm!

Judy ~ I can't wait to see what you do with the squares.  You are always so good at color placement. :yes

Cindy ~ I hope your MIL is doing better. ♥♥♥  How is the afghan coming along?

It's been a busy week, but then that's nothing new. Lol  Driving to all the appointments is the hardest part for me.  My little Etsy shop got very busy and I'm mailing out another 5 orders today!  I love it and it gives me something to focus on that is positive and rewarding. :) 

Have a good day, everyone. :manyheart

That's great news on your Etsy shop! 

And I laughed when you mentioned how good I am at color placement...   I tried to do it and began laying them out on the floor, but with 100 squares my eyes quickly glazed over and I decided to SC them together - reaching into the bag of squares and using whatever I pulled out. Worked the first couple of times before I tossed in my random selection and tried again...lol! It's going to be another in my stack of afghans sitting on the end of the sofa in my sitting room, so I'm not worried about what it looks like.😂😂

On 12/6/2018 at 9:15 PM, Gardener said:

Hi ladies.  Mil was back in the hospital again this week.  Currently she is in the nursing home section where her assisted living place is. She is very weak, and although she says she wants to go back to assisted living, she’s not all that motivated to work with the physical therapists.  She’s never been very ambitious.  

Aw, sounds like she's emotionally tired, too....

Brenda, I think we’ve had a lot of snow already too.

Mona, so sorry about the fall.  My hand still hurts if I move it wrong and it’s been at least two weeks since I fell in the garage.  And poor DH, I just had a colonoscopy in November.  The day before is no fun!

Mary, I made an afghan using that vintage stripes pattern a year or two ago. I really liked how it worked up.  WTG on your Etsy success!

Judy...ugh...sewing squares.....  However, I’m sure they will look great when you’ve got them together. Randomly attaching them with SC! Too many squares with too many colors - even for me🤣

On Tuesday evening we went to the local Botanical gardens to hear their strolling carolers.  They were great, but wow, was it ever busy there.  The carolers are going to be there every Tuesday until Christmas. Tomorrow we are going to a Christmas concert. (I love Christmas music, Dh is just humoring me!). DH sounds like a keeper😊

I just did most of the rest of my Christmas shopping on Amazon.  Plus I wrapped what I have already bought. I think that the only thing I still need to get is a hostess gift for my sister in law.  She has a sit down Christmas dinner  for our family every year. Typically she has about 60 guests there.  ( they have a huge house, her kitchen dining area easily seats 20 or more people, plus another 8 or 10 at the island.  Then they have a formal dining room, and she also sets up a table in the family room.). She has enough matching dishes for that many people too.  She does it twice every year, once for our family and again for hers.  Her side of the family is even bigger.  She loves to cook and entertain.  We bring appetizers, salads and desserts, but she also makes some of those things.  I’m tired just writing about it!

Just the thought of that many people over for a sit down meal, no less - and TWICE - exhausts me too!!!

Happy Monday, everyone. :)

Cindy ~ Keeping fingers crossed that your MIL shows some improvement.  You've done so well with your shopping!  I only have one thing each for Luke and Zach and have no idea what to get for the few others we exchange gifts with. 

Judy ~ I love your new avatar. ♥♥♥  With the lovely yarn colors, whatever you decide will be great!

Brenda ~ Yes, that pattern works up really nice...I think it would be great for scarves, too. :yes  Have you had more snow?  We had a few flurries Saturday night, but nothing stayed on the ground.

Well, DH sprained his left ankle Friday so he is not a happy camper.  I called and spoke with our doctor's PA and she recommended the usual ice, elevation and ace bandage wrap for a few days.  It's slightly swollen with just a little bruising.  It's amazing how he walks more normal when he doesn't know I'm watching. :lol  :rolleyes  

I think I am going to crochet this afternoon...it's been a few days and I'm ready!  Have a good afternoon, all. :manyheart

• Like 1

We were lucky this weekend because the winter weather they initially thought would hit here went south.  Great for us to get out and about but not so good for the ones that got it. Sat we went to lunch and a mountain dulcimer concert at a library in a town about an hour and a half away.  I wanted to stop at a couple of stores but traffic in that area was multiple lanes mostly stop and very little go.  We decided to wait and stop tomorrow  since we will be back up there for dh's flotilla Christmas party.  We did ho find the restaurant where they are meeting.  On the way home we stopped off at a church for their Christmas Cantata.  We learned about it from one of the dulcimer players.

Sunday we went to the church Christmas potluck.  Dh likes to go me not so much.  I stress over what to take and pretty much always get sick to my stomach after eating at one.  Then I really wanted to be at  home watching a football game.

Judy my least favorite part in working on any afghan/lapghan is color placement because its such a struggle for me. I am always working trying to use my overabundant stash which was mostly purchased helter skelter with no specific project in mind.  

Mary I had to laugh at your dh walking better when he thought you were'nt watching.  Mine cant be bothered to stop when he gets hurt for the ice and elevation part so I tell him not to whine at me about it hurting.  

Mona I saw your princess afghans and have a question.  It looks like arms go in the sleeves.  Then do you cover up with the bodice and skirt section or do you wear the bodice and sleeves and the skirt lays over you.  You did a great job and they were very pretty.

Brenda, the arms go in the sleeve and then the bodice and shirt are a blanket on top of you. My only reservation about them is that the bodice is not very heavy/sturdy for the weight of the skirt. But I guess it won't matter sitting down.

2 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Brenda, the arms go in the sleeve and then the bodice and shirt are a blanket on top of you. My only reservation about them is that the bodice is not very heavy/sturdy for the weight of the skirt. But I guess it won't matter sitting down.

Thanks Mona thats what I thought it looked like.  I have a hard time thinking anyone getting them wont want to slip into the sleeves and twirl around because they are so pretty.  

Hi ladies. Nothing new here.  Christmas gifts are being wrapped as they arrive, the tree is up, and I think I have everything under control.  

Mil is doing somewhat better, especially mentally.  I haven’t seen her in a few days, but my sister in law said she phoned her on Sunday.  It’s been awhile since she called anyone.  We are hoping she is well enough to come for Christmas dinner.  

Mary, I’m sorry Dh is injured....but it is kind of funny that he exaggerates it if he thinks you are watching!

Mona, I thought those princess afghans were adorable. A lot of young girls , (and some Oder ones too) would love those.

Brenda, that’s how I buy yarn too, just sort of randomly and rarely with a specific purpose in mind.

I was hoping to go to another Christmas concert this weekend, but my family Christmas party was moved from Friday to Saturday, so we will miss it.  I guess Dh has humored me enough....although he told me he actually really enjoyed the concert last weekend.  I’ll turn him into a Christmas music lover yet!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skysmom said:

Well, DH sprained his left ankle Friday so he is not a happy camper.  I called and spoke with our doctor's PA and she recommended the usual ice, elevation and ace bandage wrap for a few days.  It's slightly swollen with just a little bruising.  It's amazing how he walks more normal when he doesn't know I'm watching. :lol  :rolleyes  

I had to laugh at this!!!  We used to have a dog who'd try to get sympathy--when he'd gotten a shot or something, he'd limp around and we'd we'd baby him and say "Oh, poor baby! Does your hip hurt?"   Then he forgot once, and started limping on the wrong leg!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Ladies,

I went back through the pages since I was last here in July. I seen some beautiful work that you have all done.                                      Brenda what is w4w?                                                                                                                                                                                                    Judy, So sorry to hear about Sparkie.  Hugs                                                                                                                                                          Cindy, Hard to believe your little GD is 4 already.                                                                                                                                             Mary, I had to get glasses in 3rd grade they were ugly. I broke them on purpose on the playground. I told my mom they got broke on the playground, but not that I did it. I got new ones and they were not ugly.

I just lost most of this post. I can't remember how to get it back. I need to get some stuff done here, so I will be back later. I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tobybob said:

Hi Ladies,

I went back through the pages since I was last here in July. I seen some beautiful work that you have all done.                         Brenda what is w4w?                                                                                                                                                                                           Judy, So sorry to hear about Sparkie.  Hugs                                                                                                                                                Cindy, Hard to believe your little GD is 4 already.                                                                                                                                Mary, I had to get glasses in 3rd grade they were ugly. I broke them on purpose on the playground. I told my mom they got broke on the playground, but not that I did it. I got new ones and they were not ugly.

I just lost most of this post. I can't remember how to get it back. I need to get some stuff done here, so I will be back later. I hope everyone has a great day!

Its my abbreviation for Warmth for Warriors.  They collect lapghans for Vets, hats for Vets and active military, and ministockings that they fill and send to active military.

https://www.ravelry.com/groups/warmth-for-warriors

http://warmthforwarriors.com

Edited by bgs

Hi Marlene!  Are you still crocheting?  I bet Maya  and Geremiah are growing up fast!

Edited by Gardener

Hi, Brenda - you sound busy! That's a bummer about not enjoying the get-together - sounds like you have a sensitive stomach☹️ And my problem with yarn is usually overbuying...lol...AND buying yarn just because I love the colors😂

Hi, Marlene! Good to hear from you. I hope you and the family are all well❤️

Cindy, that's good to hear about MIL! She sounds feisty...lol.

Mary, your DH is funny. I'm usually the opposite and try and hide when I'm hurting...lol.

And that picture of the pups in my avatar was my phone's wallpaper for the longest time...I love how vital and strong Sparkie looks in it. I think it was about a year or so ago...he would have turned 13 yesterday.

My JAYG effort with the squares is coming along quickly! I'm actually happy with it so far. 

Have a great day/weekend, my friends. stay safe and well.

Edited by judianne

Tues afternoon we headed up north again and stopped at the places we skipped on Sat.  Then in the evening we met with dh's flotilla at an Italian restaurant for their Christmas get together.  

Wed morning out the door for a meeting at a senior living place.   Its too far away in the wrong direction to be in the running unless it was substantially cheaper which it is not.  I have told dh when he makes me move I WILL NOT be moving any farther away from KC.  Drs, dentist, family, jobs when we worked and everything we do is in KC area. We are up there every Sat and Sun except if the roads are very slick plus several week days (and every day when we were working).  I hate getting in the car because Its going to be an hour in and an hour back.  Anyhow we were going to be in the area as we stopped by the REC for customer appreciation to register for a $25 certificate off of our next electric bill.  Then we stopped for lunch before leading to the license bureau to pick up Jan plates for the suv.  Last stop was Aldi.  I was out of raw veggies.  I was so tired and still had to put groceries away and fix supper.

Judy I dont know what it is about potluck food but most of the time I get a belly ache and the scoots.  I think it is the casserole stuff which is mostly what shows up.  I never think of my stomach being sensitive because I can eat spicy stuff, eat burgers at fastfood places, eat things out like a chicken fried steak dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy with no problems. Not that I eat that way all the time.   I am not used to much of the casserole stuff or cheese sauce added to everything.  I never had it growing up and dont cook like that at home.  I am trying to remember if I ever tasted one I really liked.  I dont like the egg ones for brunches either.  I personally avoid going to potlucks because I stress over what to take, I generally get sick afterwards, and I am not a terribly social person but dh wants to go.  Thats such a wonderful photo of your Sparkie.  Thats something I really regret--not taking enough photos of TC.  

• Like 1

:cake    Happy Birthday, Judy!  I hope you have a wonderful day.   :manyheart

Sorry for being MIA again.  So glad to see your posts and that Marlene was here!  Be back later. :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Mary.....

It was a bittersweet day - our retired cop friends came and we ate at a super nice restaurant, which was good, but the night before we got a call that our friend passed away so he was over their house for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. He stayed until the final person arrived, the funeral home people.. Very sad time, but a blessed release for Bob....

Phil was asked to deliver the eulogy...

Hi House. :)

Judy ~ I am so sorry about your friend.  :hug   We went to a funeral yesterday for another of hubby's long time friends. 

Hubby is still limping along, but his ankle is slowly improving.  They said it could be several weeks and he is definitely not a patient person! 

I will try and catch up more tomorrow...Have a good evening, everyone. :manyheart