judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Mississippi has a shelter in place order starting Friday at 5 pm until April 20. Not that it will make any difference in our current schedules. Post office, drug store, dr apt and groceries are our only outings already.

I finished the tax stuff this afternoon. I'll take it to the accountant tomorrow.

The girls are coming for a sleep over tonight. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 1

Thank you for the compliments...

Hi peeps. After 2 weeks my friend is out of her bedroom and in the main part of the house! Still needs to bounce back...not sure how long that will take.

Brenda, please take care of yourself first - if you crash, well....😘

Today we had more sunshine, but in the low 40s and very windy.

With all that's going on in the world around us I don't know about everyone here, but I feel like things are getting to the breaking point. We've already had restrictions on activity  for over 2 weeks and now another month... I was hearing about some younger people having parties, playing basketball together...not paying any attention to the warnings. Has no one seen the pop up hospital in Central Park? The Javits Convention Center turned into aa hospital - and the Navy Hospital ship in NY Harbor?

Yesterday at 6AM we went shopping during  the Senior hour at the store nearby. I had a scarf covering my nose and mouth, and the store was virtually empty of people - we were able to pick up 99% of everything we needed, TG.

Sorry for the rant - had to get it out...even as I keep trying to remind myself to take it one day at a time.

Love you ladies....

Hi ladies. I have to confess that this shelter in place thing is starting to wear on me. I am bored, bored, bored.  I have plenty of things to do, but I don’t want to do any of them.  Today was a little better, the sun shone and it was nice and warm.  I even managed to get in some work on a couple of my UFOs.  

Today I went to our little independent grocery store. I was one of two customers in there!  They were selling toilet paper for $1 a single roll, and cases of water for $6!  That’s really high for this area.  No flour, sugar, or dish soap, and limits on lots of things.  I went for produce, milk and eggs which were all in plentiful supply, but there were a lot of empty shelves.

My brother in law is still doing very poorly, but not getting worse.  It’s just a waiting game at this point.  

Judy glad to hear you are doing ok and was able to get supplies.  I saw all that on the news and its so hard for me to not totally freak out.  I feel really bad for the medical community and their families.  I feel for all those in the hospitals separated from their families and those dying alone and their families not being to have a funeral and grieving together.  I do not understand why people do not take this serious.  Our governor has yet to issue stay at home orders for state.  Many counties have.  He did mandate groups of no more than 10, social distancing, and only those providing essential services into nursing homes and retirement communities.  The friend that lives nearby has a son that just now got a positive result for it.  He lives somewhere in this area and  works on equipment at the VA.  His family had visited his mil a couple of weeks ago.  Mil is a PA at Mayo clinic and has tested pos.  Sis and niece gave me a day off but I have been busy all day catching up on things here.  

Cindy glad you got what you needed at the store.  Sorry your bil isnt getting better.  Isnt that the way of it------all the time we were working we wished we could spend days on end at home doing things and now when you are supposed to stay home you dont feel like it?  

18 hours ago, judianne said:

Thank you for the compliments...

Hi peeps. After 2 weeks my friend is out of her bedroom and in the main part of the house! Still needs to bounce back...not sure how long that will take.

Brenda, please take care of yourself first - if you crash, well....😘

Today we had more sunshine, but in the low 40s and very windy.

With all that's going on in the world around us I don't know about everyone here, but I feel like things are getting to the breaking point. We've already had restrictions on activity  for over 2 weeks and now another month... I was hearing about some younger people having parties, playing basketball together...not paying any attention to the warnings. Has no one seen the pop up hospital in Central Park? The Javits Convention Center turned into aa hospital - and the Navy Hospital ship in NY Harbor?

Yesterday at 6AM we went shopping during  the Senior hour at the store nearby. I had a scarf covering my nose and mouth, and the store was virtually empty of people - we were able to pick up 99% of everything we needed, TG.

Sorry for the rant - had to get it out...even as I keep trying to remind myself to take it one day at a time.

Love you ladies....

Samaritan's Purse is in Central Park in NY.  I think it's a blessing they have the facilities to work in a crisis like this when others aren't equipped to move in and set up this quickly.  The hospital ship is also a blessing.  We often send aid around the world in times of crisis.  There is a time when we need help and we are blessed we have resources to come to our aid.

MA just sent masks from the Patriots air lift from China to NY in a Patriot's truck.  Even in time's like these yes I can find a little levity in imagining a Patriot's truck driving through the heart of NY Jets and Giants country bringing aid to Gov. Coumo.  The state will receive a million masks but they will arrive in a New England Patriots truck.  Hey we New Englanders are entitled to a little laugh at a time like this.  You know Kraft could have found a basic box truck to send them to NY.

The rain is wearing on us here.  It is better on days when we can get out back with the girls and feel the sun on our faces and walk around the yard.  We are thinking about a garden redo when this is all over and that is helping a bit to focus our minds on something other than this which we can do nothing to control.

I'm trying to focus on the stories of hope.  People can be ugly but they can be truly amazing too and I do think ultimately that is what will beat this virus.  It will be people who find solutions who may not have been working on the problem until they were moved from other projects to this one.  Even now there are amazing stories of logistical solutions that were unthinkable when this problem started of companies working together to manufacture products that are well outside what they normally make.  Who knows what this may mean for opportunities for manufacturing and production in the future.

Have hope.  It is dark now but there will be light.

• Haha 1

Yes Chris that is funny thinking about that Patriots truck hauling those masks into NY.  I would love to be able to hug/snuggle/pet your beautiful girls about now.  

Well we got an email this evening that an associate working in a non- patient care position in a contained area at the care center here on campus has tested positive for covid 19.  They were asymptomatic when on campus.  Governor finally put whole state on shelter in place.  Many counties had already started shelter in place 11 days ago.  

Sis and niece decided to give me the weekend off!  

·        

Bailey, Yes. Samaritans Purse is there and ready. So many of the staff have had experience with the outbreaks of highly contagious diseases in places like Africa, so they couldn't have sent a better contingent!

I saw the Patriots logo on the plane and trucks...totally weird for this Giants fan.

I had to have a crown replaced at the dentist this AM. Lots of questions before he said to meet him at the office. Understandable.

Brenda, Missouri is weeks behind the containment rules we enacted here in NJ...the numbers are climbing.

Cindy, We have a big to do list also - all I'm looking at doing is making an attempt at making some cloth masks for us so I don't need a scarf next time we need to venture out. 

I am spending today looking thru boxes for what fabric I kept.  Dont think I have much if any 100% cotton.  Its pretty much all going to be a cotton poly blend.  

I did fix up a couple of cotton bandanas with hair elastics and it really doesnt seem too bad.  Always hated masks because my glasses fogged up.

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bgs said:

I did fix up a couple of cotton bandanas with hair elastics and it really doesnt seem too bad.  Always hated masks because my glasses fogged up.

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie

That seems really simple, I could probably manage that!  Just looking at it I wonder if it will stay in place well, like for long enough to make it through the grocery store.  But I guess you found it to be pretty stable?  

16 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

That seems really simple, I could probably manage that!  Just looking at it I wonder if it will stay in place well, like for long enough to make it through the grocery store.  But I guess you found it to be pretty stable?  

Its really not bad.  Surprisingly it seems just as stable as ones I used to have to wear way back when working in hospital. Tie ones were a pain getting them tied tight enough to not slip but not so tight that they hurt and the elastic ones eventually hurt my ears because elastic was so stretched out. I have more control by virtue of amount of handkerchief pulled thru elastics so its easily adjustable.  For my face though I think I am preferring to just fold it in half and then folding it in half again.  I think she is folding it the way she does so if you need to pull it a bit to cover your nose and chin.  We are still experimenting but this was fast, easy to put together (I had the materials) and easily adjusted for size. I have been looking thru boxes at fabric.  Dh thinks he wants a more complicated sewn one with a wire in it to fit better at nose.  

I don't know if any of you are America's Test Kitchen cookbook fans but they are having a cookbook sale almost all their cookbooks are $19.99 and shipping is free over $40.  DH and I have been waiting to pick up a few hoping we'd find them on sale.  There were a couple I looked at that were cheaper at Amazon but the expensive ones I'd been waiting for the prices to drop on Amazon I was able to pick up today.

You can find the sale here. I know lots of people use online recipes these days and we do, but we still like reference books. 

Well, this year just keeps getting funner and funner! DH fell this afternoon going out the door and hurt his knee. Our clinic's nurse practitioner lives down the street. She brought ace bandages and crutches and said he needed to go to the hospital to have it xrayed and maybe an MRI. He refuses to go anywhere close to a hospital. Her husband (who works with our son) and son helped DS get him back in the house and move a recliner to the living room. Ice, no weight on in, and bandage until Monday. If it's not better she'll try to get him an apt at the diagnostic center that's in the same building as the cancer center, hopefully on Tuesday when we're already over there. Praying that it's better tomorrow and just a sprain/strain and not something torn!

It sometimes has its disadvantages, but today proved that small towns are great to live in. Plus having family close.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Well, this year just keeps getting funner and funner! DH fell this afternoon going out the door and hurt his knee. Our clinic's nurse practitioner lives down the street. She brought ace bandages and crutches and said he needed to go to the hospital to have it xrayed and maybe an MRI. He refuses to go anywhere close to a hospital. Her husband (who works with our son) and son helped DS get him back in the house and move a recliner to the living room. Ice, no weight on in, and bandage until Monday. If it's not better she'll try to get him an apt at the diagnostic center that's in the same building as the cancer center, hopefully on Tuesday when we're already over there. Praying that it's better tomorrow and just a sprain/strain and not something torn!

It sometimes has its disadvantages, but today proved that small towns are great to live in. Plus having family close.

Prayers for you and husband that it is just a strain and it will heal quickly.

Mona praying its just a sprain and much better tomorrow.  If it had to happen it was a blessing to have help nearby.

On 4/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, bgs said:

Its really not bad.  Surprisingly it seems just as stable as ones I used to have to wear way back when working in hospital. Tie ones were a pain getting them tied tight enough to not slip but not so tight that they hurt and the elastic ones eventually hurt my ears because elastic was so stretched out. I have more control by virtue of amount of handkerchief pulled thru elastics so its easily adjustable.  For my face though I think I am preferring to just fold it in half and then folding it in half again.  I think she is folding it the way she does so if you need to pull it a bit to cover your nose and chin.  We are still experimenting but this was fast, easy to put together (I had the materials) and easily adjusted for size. I have been looking thru boxes at fabric.  Dh thinks he wants a more complicated sewn one with a wire in it to fit better at nose.  

Thanks!  I think I'll try it.  I have bandanas and actually a couple of Japanese print scarves that are about the right size, that I've never really known what to do with.  I don't think i have hair elastics the right size, but i can cut rings out of an old stocking that i had saved in case i needed to use it as a "yarn sock".  

the nose fit may be a problem but at least the scarf will be flexible.  I was given a paper mask at a doctor's office a while back and the top edge of it pushed my glasses up which was a problem as they aren't a tight fit to begin with.  

2 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Thanks!  I think I'll try it.  I have bandanas and actually a couple of Japanese print scarves that are about the right size, that I've never really known what to do with.  I don't think i have hair elastics the right size, but i can cut rings out of an old stocking that i had saved in case i needed to use it as a "yarn sock".  

the nose fit may be a problem but at least the scarf will be flexible.  I was given a paper mask at a doctor's office a while back and the top edge of it pushed my glasses up which was a problem as they aren't a tight fit to begin with.  

Glasses and masks are a pain.  I always had problems with my glasses eventually fogging--- not good when trying not to touch your face.  You can use rubber bands if you have some that work.  Dh is getting used to wearing one.  He was complaining about it pulling too much.  He had pulled too much of his bandana thru the elastics and needed to back it out a bit.  Then he said it was ok.  He says he cant wear his glasses with it but dont know if he tried.  I practiced wearing mine with my readers but eventually got fogging.  

I'm not looking forward to masks because of the fogging of the glasses.  I generally avoid scarves across my face in the winter for that same reason.  It makes it challenging to move when you can't see.  I get the safety aspect, but I also am concerned about the potential challenges when you can't see and you don't want to touch your glasses.  It is not a great option.

We shall see what happens going forward. 

Brenda, how is DH?

DH looks like he's ready to rob store when he goes in with his mask and sunglasses on😂   His is navy blue and I used black grograin ribbon to make the ear loops. Mine is a very bright animal print with pink ribbon😁  Hopefully I won't have an issue with glasses fogging...but we're not going into food store till Monday at 6AM. Trying to use what we have and stretching things....

And I started a blanket during all this and it has grown and grown...I want to say TY to the lady who gifted me a big batch of leftover balls recently...This will be my GOOD memory from this time of self isolation. Need to weave in a bazillion ends and then border it. DH says it looks like a puzzle...lol.

Mona hope things are ok with dh.  Sort of concerned since you havent checked in.

Judy we havent been anywhere to wear our masks yet.  Dh wore his a bit while he was out for a walk to get a feel for it.  I really like the bandana with hair elastics.  We have plenty of both.  Might sew some if I get bored but that hasnt happened yet.  People just outside walking are not wearing them.  

• Like 1

Brenda it's been a long week. Tuesday I went to ortho (4-5 more weeks of the boot) while he had chemo. They gave me a brace for him which has stabilized the knee and he's more comfortable but can't walk. Using a borrowed wheelchair. He had the MRI Tuesday. Telephone apt with ortho yesterday.  Complete tear of the tendon at the top of the kneecap which requires surgery if oncology oks it because of his low WBC. Back to ortho this am for a different appliance. It's been an exhausting week!surge

Hope everyone is hanging in there and staying well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Brenda it's been a long week. Tuesday I went to ortho (4-5 more weeks of the boot) while he had chemo. They gave me a brace for him which has stabilized the knee and he's more comfortable but can't walk. Using a borrowed wheelchair. He had the MRI Tuesday. Telephone apt with ortho yesterday.  Complete tear of the tendon at the top of the kneecap which requires surgery if oncology oks it because of his low WBC. Back to ortho this am for a different appliance. It's been an exhausting week!surge

Hope everyone is hanging in there and staying well!

Mona so sorry. :hug   And on top of that you have a long drive to and from dont you?   Hope you and dh have a peaceful weekend.

Interesting Easter. We're under a tornado watch all day with the possibility of hail, winds and tornadoes. DS texted earlier that a weather channel storm reporter was in Cleveland (35 miles away) waiting on the storm. So far just rain, hoping it will stay that way. I got all the washing done and DS has done enough prep for the storm and possible power outage that it should be a guarantee of the worst missing us. LOL

We've traded food. Friend brought a pecan pie. DS brought ham, deviled eggs and brownies and I sent back rolls, peas, and part of the pie and the kids Easter bags.

Now just eating, relaxing some I hope while getting things packed to go to Little Rock tomorrow and seeing what the weather will do.

Happy Easter!!

• Like 1

Mona...so sorry about DH. Hugs and hugs.....

Posted (edited)

Meet my Leftovers blanket.  About 60 by 40 inches. Not sure where it will eventually live but for now it's mine😁 I had to stand on a chair to get all of it in the picture

20200412_135053.jpg

Edited by judianne
  • Like 1

Mona I hope the weather passes you by.  DH went out this morning to get gas for the generator as we are under a weather advisory as well and could lose power.  Not great under the best of times, but not sure how well they will be able to do power restoration under social distancing guidelines.

We had a "group meeting" of DH's side of family for about an hour using video software and it was nice to see everyone.  It was actually one of the upsides to this crisis as we might normally have called but we wouldn't have seen everyone today.  Normally we host DH's sister's family as they live locally.  Everyone else lives out of state.  It was nice to catch up.

Happy Easter everyone.  Stay safe weather it be illness or weather.

• Like 1