judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Oh, Brenda 😔

Brenda, the situation with your sis sounds frustrating and anxiety provoking.  I hope that your sister doesn’t have abscesses forming, although fever and other evidences of infection are worrisome.  Hopefully if sis needs antibiotics at home, they will teach the technique to a family member as well.  To be honest, going home is probably the safest course if she is well enough. Sounds like you and your niece are very aware of what she needs.   That hospital, like pretty much every hospital is probably overwhelmed and understaffed. I’m glad to be retired!

Posted (edited)

Made with donated yarn (Thank you!), just used the rose yarn from my stash to add to it. Keeping it in case someone needs a gift

A wash will soften it up.

20200318_134511.jpg

20200318_134725.jpg

Edited by judianne
  • Like 1

I have to say that “social distancing” isn’t bothering me a bit, at least not yet.  A pile of yarn and an audio book and I’m good for hours. It must be hard for people who don’t read or have hobbies that they can do at home.  Dh is getting a bit stir crazy though.  He has nearly a years worth of work lined up, and several months worth, here at home.  He is used to working from home so I think it’s more the idea of it, rather than actually minimizing social contacts.

My youngest DD, the nurse practitioner, is already complaining of boredom, and yesterday was just her first day of working at home.  Ds says he accomplished more work at home yesterday than he would have in the office.  

On Tuesday I went to the little grocery store nearby.  It’s never very busy, but it was very poorly stocked, which is unusual.  I just wanted some fruit, vegetables and milk, which were available. I walked up and down all the aisles, just to see.  They had no paper products, no bread, flour or sugar, and cleaning products, meat, canned goods and dairy were very skimpy. There was no cheese, no eggs, and no biscuits/ bagels/English muffins either.  Milk was limited to one and they had maybe 10 gallon jugs and 4 or 5 half gallons, one of which I bought.  The manager said that they were still getting all their regular deliveries, so it seems that people were panic buying in large quantities.  Now there are limits on how much you can buy for many items.  The greediness that this displays is scary to me.  At this point there is no interruption in supply and as far as I know, none is anticipated. People will be able to get what they need, when they need it if everyone co-operates.  When there are 6 children in the family and bread and milk are limited to one per purchase, that makes things tough.    

Judy pretty little babyghan.

Cindy I worked in hospitals long enough to know how understaffed they are. Thats why I stayed so many hours to fill in the void.  I kept telling them I felt more like staff than a visitor.  I can sympathize on both sides but dang it they charge so much. As bad as she felt sis was nice, pleasant and understanding so I think they tended to blow her off.

They put a picc line in sis yesterday and handed her off to niece at door yesterday evening.  They are supposed to go to some clinic today to be shown how to deal with it.  On the one hand I am glad but scared to death as well because her potassium has been low and chance for abcesses are so great.  She has been running a sporadic low grade fever in hospital which I wonder if its not being masked at points because they give her tylenol for pain.  Last night it was 0.3 points away from the call the dr instructions.  

I would personally love to just hole up in house.   Dh has to always be on the go.  I wish I could give him knock out drops.  As we speak he is checking online to see if Powell Gardens is open so he can go there.  Glad to hear they are closed as are the libraries and zoo.  He just cant sit and be still.  He always has to be talking but not really sayng anything or making noise too.  Even when eating cereal he clanks his spoon on the bottom of the bowl each time he scoops up a bite.  He is not even still/quiet when he sleeps.   He has no qualms about going out in public so as what happens with flues and colds I fully expect him to infect me one way or another.  Everything I catch automatically winds up in my lungs.  For whatever reason he cant seem to understand how miserable it is. Before cataract surgery I told him I was having problems seeing and told him the things I was having problems with like double vision.  Then when he sat in exam room and I had trouble reading top line of eye chart and all the v's looked like w's to me he says he didnt know it was so bad.  Duh.  

Judy, I like your pinks!

Brenda, hope you can keep DH corralled and stay well! DH here drives me crazy some days reading sections of his current book that he thinks are interesting. It usually just makes my eyes glaze over. He'll say you'd like to read this book and I'm thinking why should I when you've already told me most of it.

DS won't be coming this weekend. He called and was headed home to self-quarantine. Someone had come to work sick and then decided to tell HR he was sick. They sent home everyone the guy had come in contact with. Luckily it's a paid two weeks leave. Now he and DIL have to figure out separate spaces in their house and whether her work will let her continue or make her quarantine too.

On an ironic/funny note, I had an email from Regions Bank this morning that their bank lobbies would be closed and we could use the ATM or drive thru window or make an apt to be allowed inside the bank. We're a really small town and our bank doesn't have an ATM or drive thru window.

I did all the prep for the soup this afternoon along with some other stuff and now I'm pooped. Off to watch a show or maybe take a nap.

Hi peeps

On 3/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, Gardener said:

I have to say that “social distancing” isn’t bothering me a bit, at least not yet.  A pile of yarn and an audio book and I’m good for hours. It must be hard for people who don’t read or have hobbies that they can do at home.  I agree...I could hibernate for a while. I d\have been taking walks every day, and that feels good. I've been lazy about doing that. Dh is getting a bit stir crazy though.  He has nearly a years worth of work lined up, and several months worth, here at home.  He is used to working from home so I think it’s more the idea of it, rather than actually minimizing social contacts.

My youngest DD, the nurse practitioner, is already complaining of boredom,At least she's not where she can catch anything... and yesterday was just her first day of working at home.  Ds says he accomplished more work at home yesterday than he would have in the office.  

On Tuesday I went to the little grocery store nearby.  It’s never very busy, but it was very poorly stocked, which is unusual.  I just wanted some fruit, vegetables and milk, which were available. I walked up and down all the aisles, just to see.  They had no paper products, no bread, flour or sugar, and cleaning products, meat, canned goods and dairy were very skimpy. There was no cheese, no eggs, and no biscuits/ bagels/English muffins either.  Milk was limited to one and they had maybe 10 gallon jugs and 4 or 5 half gallons, one of which I bought.  The manager said that they were still getting all their regular deliveries, so it seems that people were panic buying in large quantities.  Now there are limits on how much you can buy for many items.  The greediness that this displays is scary to me.  I find it scary too...seeing the stupidity of the loaded wagons at Costco, places like that. At least the grocery stores are having "senior hours" now.  But we're not going out at all. We just placed an order to be picked up at our longtime favorite food market, Delicious Orchards. DH is leery of me going out in public and if he goes he could still bring something in to affect me. Also making an Amazon Prime list for the sundries we'll eventually need. So glad we finally signed up for that. At this point there is no interruption in supply and as far as I know, none is anticipated. People will be able to get what they need, when they need it if everyone co-operates.  When there are 6 children in the family and bread and milk are limited to one per purchase, that makes things tough.  Yes😔  

On 3/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, bgs said:

Judy pretty little babyghan.Thanks!

Cindy I worked in hospitals long enough to know how understaffed they are. Thats why I stayed so many hours to fill in the void.  I kept telling them I felt more like staff than a visitor.  I can sympathize on both sides but dang it they charge so much. As bad as she felt sis was nice, pleasant and understanding so I think they tended to blow her off.

They put a picc line in sis yesterday and handed her off to niece at door yesterday evening.  They are supposed to go to some clinic today to be shown how to deal with it.  On the one hand I am glad but scared to death as well because her potassium has been low and chance for abcesses are so great.  She has been running a sporadic low grade fever in hospital which I wonder if its not being masked at points because they give her tylenol for pain.  Last night it was 0.3 points away from the call the dr instructions.  You've been a wonderful advocate for her!

I would personally love to just hole up in house.   Dh has to always be on the go.  I wish I could give him knock out drops.  As we speak he is checking online to see if Powell Gardens is open so he can go there.  Glad to hear they are closed as are the libraries and zoo.  He just cant sit and be still.  He always has to be talking but not really sayng anything or making noise too.  Even when eating cereal he clanks his spoon on the bottom of the bowl each time he scoops up a bite.  He is not even still/quiet when he sleeps.   He has no qualms about going out in public so as what happens with flues and colds I fully expect him to infect me one way or another.  Everything I catch automatically winds up in my lungs.  For whatever reason he cant seem to understand how miserable it is. Before cataract surgery I told him I was having problems seeing and told him the things I was having problems with like double vision.  Then when he sat in exam room and I had trouble reading top line of eye chart and all the v's looked like w's to me he says he didnt know it was so bad.  Duh.  

I see a theme here with bored men/husbands...lol! Though my hubby has been very careful with me. Too many health issues over the past several years. 

On 3/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Judy, I like your pinks!Thank you!

Brenda, hope you can keep DH corralled and stay well! DH here drives me crazy some days reading sections of his current book that he thinks are interesting. It usually just makes my eyes glaze over. He'll say you'd like to read this book and I'm thinking why should I when you've already told me most of it.Too funny!

DS won't be coming this weekend. He called and was headed home to self-quarantine. Someone had come to work sick and then decided to tell HR he was sick. They sent home everyone the guy had come in contact with. Luckily it's a paid two weeks leave. Now he and DIL have to figure out separate spaces in their house and whether her work will let her continue or make her quarantine too.Oh no!

On an ironic/funny note, I had an email from Regions Bank this morning that their bank lobbies would be closed and we could use the ATM or drive thru window or make an apt to be allowed inside the bank. We're a really small town and our bank doesn't have an ATM or drive thru window.Duh!

I did all the prep for the soup this afternoon along with some other stuff and now I'm pooped. Off to watch a show or maybe take a nap.

I'm still crocheting...and watching constant TooCute! shows on Animal Planet...a wonderful diversion and makes me smile.

Stay well, ladies😘

Good morning, ladies!

We're supposed to see a little sun this afternoon before the rain comes back. I'm really sick of the wet and humidity. Still haven't mowed the yard yet this year. It's starting to get shaggy.

The girls came over for several hours yesterday. They played on the kindle and I crocheted some. My foot was hurting more yesterday, so today will be dedicated to sitting around and hopefully crocheting. I still need to finish the tax stuff but if the state follows the federal dates a few more days won't matter.

I may try Wal-Mart pick up for some of my list on Tuesday and just run in for the perishables. We're never sure how long his appointments will take so it's hard to choose an exact time.

Hi ladies. It’s a nice sunny day here....cold, but it’s so good to see the sun! Snow in the forecast for tomorrow.😥

Dh’s brother with leukemia got admitted to ICU yesterday. No visitors allowed, and only his decision makers can call for updates.  In his case that is my niece and my Youngest Dd.  (The NP) He sounds stable, but they have no idea what to ask. We will likely know tonight if he has COVID19.  If yes, then Dh and I will have been exposed. Dh drove him to chemo on Tuesday. BIL didn’t really have typical symptoms though, so fingers crossed that it isn’t. Otherwise we will be sitting even lower for a couple of weeks. I am considered extra high risk due to being on an immunosuppressant drug. Plus I’m over 60. It’s so weird to think of myself as high risk though. I think that I am in pretty good health. I guess it’s a good thing that we are well stocked we don’t need to go anywhere. 

Hope you are all coping well!

Posted (edited)

Cindy, praying you and DH haven't been exposed and don't get sick.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

4 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Cindy, praying you and DH haven't been exposed and don't get sick.

His COVID19 test was negative!  So that means he is allowed one visitor every day. None of hubby’s siblings wanted to visit today, so DH went. If he didn’t go, DD was going to. BIL remains in ICU on a ventilator. 

Cindy, that's great news on the test!

• Like 1

It was an interesting day out and about today. The cancer center was doing things differently. Signs all in the parking lot to stay in your car, call in and wait to be told to come in to avoid crowded waiting rooms. Somehow our call didn't get into the system. Called again after 40 minutes and finally got the ok to go in. The lab people were wondering why we hadn't showed up for his apt. Then it was one of those days when it took forever to get the lab results. They were making a lot of the patient's drivers/helpers sit in the car but somehow they never told me to leave, so that was good at least. It all took long enough that we ordered pizza delivered and ate during his infusion. Lots better than having to eat in the car afterwards.

On to Walmart where lots of shelves were empty. Then to Krogers where I found a new more things--eggs in particular. Both stores had limits on even distilled water (needed for CPAP) but between the two he's good for a while again.

Home and unloaded, exhausted as usual at the end of chemo day, but was able to take a little nap so that helps me be a lot more patient this evening. 

Hope everyone is well and coping with all this craziness!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2020 at 11:45 AM, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. It’s a nice sunny day here....cold, but it’s so good to see the sun! Snow in the forecast for tomorrow.😥

Dh’s brother with leukemia got admitted to ICU yesterday. No visitors allowed, and only his decision makers can call for updates.  In his case that is my niece and my Youngest Dd.  (The NP) He sounds stable, but they have no idea what to ask. We will likely know tonight if he has COVID19.  If yes, then Dh and I will have been exposed. Dh drove him to chemo on Tuesday. BIL didn’t really have typical symptoms though, so fingers crossed that it isn’t. Otherwise we will be sitting even lower for a couple of weeks. I am considered extra high risk due to being on an immunosuppressant drug. Plus I’m over 60. We're over 70. so high risk also, in addition to my various health issues. Haven't gone to the store in nearly 2 weeks. Fortunately our nearby farm market accepts online orders and will bring everything right to your car, putting it in the trunk for you. And then I have a list for Amazon Prime since even with senior hours at local stores we don't want to chance it. I think our supermarket pharmacy deliver, too...we'll be needing refills soon. It’s so weird to think of myself as high risk though. I think that I am in pretty good health. I guess it’s a good thing that we are well stocked we don’t need to go anywhere. 

Hope you are all coping well!

On 3/21/2020 at 8:33 PM, Gardener said:

His COVID19 test was negative!  So that means he is allowed one visitor every day. None of hubby’s siblings wanted to visit today, so DH went. If he didn’t go, DD was going to. BIL remains in ICU on a ventilator. 

Thank goodness for the negative test...I'm so very sorry your BIL and family are going through this.

The environment here in New Jersey is reminiscent of right after 9/11...eerily quiet. 

Stay well, ladies💕

Edited by judianne

hi peeps...working on my online shopping lists. yes. plural...not every source has every thing, but am thankful we have that as an option!

The sun is shining and we're healthy...plus my friend has begun to turn the corner on Covid 19 after having had it for 12 days. I'm very thankful.

Judy glad to hear you are doing ok.  I had been wondering about you.  Glad to hear your friend is recovering from the virus. 

Cindy glad to hear bil tested negative.  You retired just in time.  Thats how I feel about us getting moved too.  We are better off here as far as groceries.  Shelves were pretty bare at store out there before we moved and they only got things in once per week.  Being here also made it so I could help out so much with my sister.

Mona medical appointments sure have changed here in a hurry too.  

I can see improvement in sis everyday.  Mon she went to orthopedic surgeon and finally got the stitches out of her knee.  Dr thought her knee was doing great as far as mobility considering everything she has been through.  Yesterday they took the staples out of her incision from the exploratory laparotomy and they took the catheter out of her bladder and so far so good there.  We are still struggling with the ostomy trying to come up with the right combination of products so we can get a good seal next to skin.  

I am keeping busy helping out sis thru all this.  I am so glad taking care of family is one of the exceptions for being out.  Niece needs time to go get supplies, groceries, and do things at her house.  Dh has been doing our grocery shopping.  He has been doing ok for most part except he did bring back two $3.99 honeydew instead of the $1.29 cantaloupe I had circled.  I mean it wasnt like I wrote out a list.  He had the ad with the picture and price.  We have had several rainy nights this week.  Last night there was a lot of lightening.  When things dry up dh needs to work in sis's yard. Its going to be quite awhile before she can do it.  

Our pastor is doing Sun service and daily devotionals on fb.  In the evening he has been doing trivia which has been very entertaining.  

• Like 1

We finally figured out why the school buses are running in the area twice a day.  My niece mentioned she had seen buses running and couldn't figure out why and then DH and I saw them and figured there had to be a reason.  Turns out they are dropping food off twice a day for breakfast and lunch for kids under 18 to compensate for the loss of the school lunch program.

City also sent notice out with phone numbers to let people know if they can't get out for food or meds who to contact.  I thought that was good to do.  While we are a City government we are more like what most people driving through here would think of as a town.  We aren't a typical city sized place.  It can be tough for people who end up needing something when they can't get out. Normally the churches and other civic groups step up in times of crisis but they are being told to stay home.  So it is good to see the City offering people a place to contact if they get into trouble with necessities.

• Like 1

Judy, glad your friend is better. On line shopping is sure a big help. We've always used it a good bit but certainly more so now.

Brenda, glad to hear sis is improving.

Bailey, I had read that about the school meals being delivered. It's great that the govt is stepping in when the churches can't.

We 're getting to the end of several sunny, very warm days. Forecast is still the rain, sun, rain, sun thing. A friend mowed the main parts of our yard with a bush hog yesterday so that was a big help.

DS 's co-worker had a negative test so he's back at work. His company has started some very generous rules. If you're sick, stay home and it's paid sick leave. If you have to stay home because of no child care, you get paid. He had six out in his  dept yesterday, but others came in to work overtime.  Even with that people take advantage. They fired two in another dept who tried to get everyone to call in sick so the section would have to close down.

The pool people uncovered the pool Thursday. We're going to have 60's/40's temps most of next week so there's no point in turning on the heater yet. Hopefully the next week.

Hope everyone is well! Stay safe!

• Like 1

Brenda  you sound like you are the best medical advocate for your sister.  So happy to hear she's doing well!

My friend has had no fever for almost 24 hours...but has no sense of taste to speak of. I read about that possibly being permanent.  I haven't told her about that...

Another month of shut down announced by the president. 

Crib size baby blanket...almost lost a game of chicken with the yarn 

20200329_151156.jpg

• Like 1

The blanket brings some sunshine to what was a dark and rainy day.

• Like 1

So pretty, Judy! I love the colors. Glad the yarn didn't run out. LOL Hope your friend gets her sense of taste back; it would be horrible for that to be permanent.

We had some scary weather come thru last night, but missed the worst of it, thank goodness. Sun again today was a treat. More rain Mon and Tues.

I have been seriously procrastinating on our taxes, but finally worked on it some this afternoon. I really want to get everything to the accountant before the end of the week. Of course, I've moved that deadline at least three times already. LOL

Nothing particular on our calendar this week, but lots of things in general to do. 

Off to crochet and watch a show.

• Like 1

Judy love the afghan.  It just screams springtime.  Its great seeing everyones work.  I think about crocheting but just too tired when I get home to pick up a hook.

Glad to see so many checking in and that you are doing ok.

Well I was joking with the first nurse that changed out the ostomy stuff on sis in the hospital about envisioning having to rig up something with duct tape and a ziploc bag.  Yesterday it was starting to look like reality as niece scrambled to get supplies.  We are just so frustrated almost to point of tears but they had problems in hospital and are way more experienced than we are.  They say it can take awhile to find the right combination of supplies and that as your swelling and bloating goes down the supplies you need would change too.  

Mona we got our tax stuff delivered just before it got really crazy.  I sort of wonder if they are in the office.  I noticed tax people were one of the businesses allowed to be open but this office is in a building that connects to apartments and is locked---no visitors except those giving essential care and the staff who all have to check in with security and have their temps taken and answer questions.  

I had today off so caught up on some laundry, made a big pot of soup, and caught the pastors sermon live on fb.  Niece needs me in the morning to help sis shower while she tries to track down more ostomy supplies.  They have a drs appointment in the afternoon.  Think I will try to go to store with dh to see what its like.   

• Like 1

Good morning, everyone!

Awake early today. Spent too much time on the kindle. Between the sinus/allergy issues, the rain, and staying in, I'm having a hard time finding my happy pants today.

I think I'll crochet a little before DH gets up.

• Like 1

This is the first morning I've been up at a normal time.  I've been escaping into my Kindle in the morning to read either Overdrive Library books or books I've purchased and haven't had the chance to read.  This morning I got up and got my exercise out of the way early though.  Practice for Thurs as I have a tele appt for the nutritionist at 10.  This is actually a practical way to handle this appt as we don't need any testing, etc.  We can easily handle this with an tele confrence appt.

• Like 1