judianne

Our House (Part Three)

Hi, Cindy! I walk away from too much too, at times. DH has a need to try and fix things...not me. My attitude is like yours.

19 hours ago, bgs said:

Did I somehow miss an announcement here about this?  I got an email from a designer that participated in the past alerting me.  

https://crochetville.com/category/natcromo-blog-tour/

I saw it on FB....not sure if it was announced here on the ville.

Hi, Jet! Nice to "see" a new face here!

Here's the Attic24  Hydrangea pattern as a christening blanket.  

The pre wash bumps are gone now.

20200227_152347.jpg

• Like 1

Judy another beautiful afghan.

I am not on fb and the announcement that someone said she finally found here after searching for it only shows up when you use a pc.  She confirmed it does not show on mobile version and I only use mobile.  

• Like 1

Hello, all!

Rainy day here but the sun is returning tomorrow. It's only Wednesday but it's been an eventful week. The insurance adjuster came back with amounts fairly close to the estimates although we'll only get part of the money, then the rest after we send them the bills.

I stepped wrong yesterday and turned my foot. Went to the emergency room today while DH was at PT. It's broken. Got a boot. Have an apt with ortho next week while we're in Oxford for DH's apt. I guess I now have the perfect excuse to sit around and crochet.

The girls are here for the night. DS is taking DIL to the airport. She has an early flight so they're spending the night in Memphis. Luckily they're taking the two year old with them. She'll be back Saturday with her nephew.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Oh, Mona.....so very sorry about your foot! I have a friend who went through that. I DO love your positive attitude though - more time to crochet🤣  Heal quickly, sweetie.

Mona sorry about your foot. Just wish you did not have to go to such an extreme to find crochet time.

Sis had knee replacement surgery last Thur so been spending time with her doing whatever she needs me to do.

Sorry about your foot.  It's amazing how simple things can cause so much damage.

Oh no, Mona. That’s a bummer about the foot.  Hope you heal quickly.

I still haven’t been crocheting. I made two covers for my sewing machines this week though.  What I should have been doing is sewing Dd a curtain for the window next to her front door.  The previous owner had made a curtain with a stapler!  It’s “interesting”, I guess!

my iPad says it’s battery is almost done so I’d getter hit post while I can.....

• Like 1

Cindy, I get a really funny picture of that curtain!

Brenda, hope Sis is doing well and has a fast recovery.

I'm looking forward to a quiet day today-- hope that doesn't jinx it. LOL. I had all three grands all day yesterday while DS went to a meeting and then picked up DIL and her nephew at the airport. It was a wild 30 minutes or so when they came in and everyone met for the first time. Jay is five months older than the youngest grandchild--they're both two. Hopefully the adjustment will not be too long or stressful.

DS is going to take the futon in my craft room to put in their little "playroom". I've been wanting to get rid of it and get a loveseat sized sofa sleeper.

Today is the last day of sun before rain all next week. My foot's doing ok with the boot and ibuprofen. I found out that most of the company for the guys' weekend at the end of the month is going to be for the day instead of overnight, so a lot less work for me.

• Like 1

Mona I think sis is doing pretty good. Talked with niece and sounds like they finally got her pain meds adjusted like they need to be.  Its amazing to me that they replace the joint that morning and you are home by lunch time.  She had the other one replaced 18 months ago so we knew what to expect.  Hope you are coming along well with your foot.

I have had bronchitis this week so have been really tired. Had a long day at bonsai yesterday.  It was a bit stressful as our treasurer went to TN beginning of Feb to visit her sister and broke her foot (Mona you are third person that I know that has broken their foot in the last few weeks)  so she is stuck there until the dr treating it releases her.  I muddled thru collecting dues and selling raffle tickets. I usually assist her so I know the drill.  Supper tasted really good at the Japanese restaurant last night.

Went to Walmart Fri to see if I could replace my otc allergy meds which surprisingly they had.  The shelf with zicam and airbourne was empty.  The section with chlorox / lysol wipes was empty but they were restocking.  Bleach shelf was pretty empty but toilet paper shelf was stocked.  

Hi, peeps.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:47 PM, bgs said:

Mona sorry about your foot. Just wish you did not have to go to such an extreme to find crochet time.

Sis had knee replacement surgery last Thur so been spending time with her doing whatever she needs me to do.

Your sis is so lucky to have you!! 

Hi ladies. This time change thing still has me dragging.  I haven’t accomplished a thing this week although I have plans.....

We decided a couple of days ago that we needed a vacation, so we are off to the mountains next week. The joys of being retired!  Maybe I will get some crocheting done at the cabin!  

hope you are all doing well.

Sis was coming along pretty well but had major setback yesterday.  She wound up having emergency surgery late last night into early this morning for a perforated bowel.  

Hi peeps

16 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. This time change thing still has me dragging.  I haven’t accomplished a thing this week although I have plans.....

We're dragging, too! Even Lucy's internal meal clock is still on old time!

We decided a couple of days ago that we needed a vacation, so we are off to the mountains next week. The joys of being retired!  Maybe I will get some crocheting done at the cabin!  
Cindy, that sounds great😍

hope you are all doing well.

14 hours ago, bgs said:

Sis was coming along pretty well but had major setback yesterday.  She wound up having emergency surgery late last night into early this morning for a perforated bowel.  

Oh, no....I hope she recovers quickly and with no other problems🙁

Brenda, hope your sister recovers quickly! Hope you're feeling better, too!

Cindy, that sounds go good! Have fun!

I can't believe how tired I am this week. I guess it's a combination of a busy week and the time change. I'm proud of myself. I had a problem with my phone and ordered a new one on line. It came in today and I activated it and copied everything over from the old phone all by myself!

We're a little concerned about the middle grandchild's nursery school. They are out for spring break this week and one child and her family are on a Disney cruise. I realize a cruise is a large financial output but it's not a good time for cruises. Don't know whether they plan to go back to school as soon as they return or not. It's hard to know whether you're justly concerned or over reacting.

20 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Brenda, hope your sister recovers quickly! Hope you're feeling better, too!

Cindy, that sounds go good! Have fun!

I can't believe how tired I am this week. I guess it's a combination of a busy week and the time change. I'm proud of myself. I had a problem with my phone and ordered a new one on line. It came in today and I activated it and copied everything over from the old phone all by myself!Great job! I sit in the store and let the tech do it...lol!

We're a little concerned about the middle grandchild's nursery school. They are out for spring break this week and one child and her family are on a Disney cruise. I realize a cruise is a large financial output but it's not a good time for cruises. Don't know whether they plan to go back to school as soon as they return or not. It's hard to know whether you're justly concerned or over reacting.

So far it seems that kids and young adults either never get this virus or have a very mild case. It's people with compromised immune systems /over a certain age with serious chronic conditions who especially need to be careful...hello👋....🙁

We have to be sensible, and practice good hygiene re washing hands, regardless.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, bgs said:

Oh no!  That’s a pretty major setback!  How is she doing now?

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 10:05 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

I agree, not a good time to take a cruise.  I have heard that a lot of school districts are requiring a 2 week quarantine period for anyone even traveling out of state.

Edited by Gardener

Posted (edited)

I have been spending 8 to 10 hours per day at hospital with sis and am tired.

I will try to catch you up.  Sis had knee replacement Feb 27 and was coming along pretty well.  I had been going to spend time with her so my niece could run errands and go back to work.  March 9 when I got there sis was in horrific pain.  She had gotten up and started her routine and then bam.  I called my niece to come home from work.  Kept asking sis about going to ER but she thought the pain would pass. Niece finally convinced her later that night.   Going into surgery she was told they might have to leave her open and on a respirator.  Thankfully that did not happen.  She does have a huge incision from the exploratory laporatomy and an ostomy that they think will be reversed in 3 to 6 months.  We are learning how to take care of things and trying to maintain and not lose ground with her knee mobility.  Moved her from icu thurs night at 10:30 pm (poor niece thought she was going to get to go home much earlier).  After things slow down early afternoon I stay so niece can leave and do what she needs to do.  She comes back and spends evening gets her mom tucked in before leaving.  I went in this morning and niece waited to come in at 330p.

Sis's blood pressure was too low so she was given iv meds for that for a few days. She had to be off that to get out of icu.  It did get low enough last night that they would not give her pain medication.  She also has had low potassium.  Her hemoglobin dropped enough that they were on the verge of giving her blood.  At one point she had a picc line, art line, ng tube, foley catheter, surgical drain, all kinds of hookups for vitals and the inflatables around her calves along with TED hose.  

When wound/ostomy nurse said they would teach us how to care for the ostomy my niece told me "you gotta be here".  Well when the nurse changed it for first time we watched.  It breached in a couple hours so I got to watch again.  Then it breached again after I left so niece got her second lesson.  Breached again by morning so I got a third lesson.  This one is doing ok.  This morning I was right there with the surgeons associate when she pulled the dressing for incision and put a new one back.  Came in handy because sis got to shower today for first time since last Sun so all dressings came off and I had to tell her nurse how surgeon put the big one on.  Todays nurse hasnt been out of school very long so she got to learn a lot today.  

For all she has been thru sis looks really good.  She has been transferring herself back and forth from bed to chair and toilet pretty much by herself using a walker. 

Social services has been recommending an acute rehab center.  Wound/ostomy nurse has been recommending home health.  Dr.s havent mentioned either and thats who insurance company needs the recommendation from. Has to be preapproved.  Sis and niece cant see how it would really benefit sis.  Niece called insurance about ostomy supplies and we were shocked to hear not covered.  I had told the wound nurse the day before that I was more concerned about getting supplies than I was actually taking care of it and I did not want to have to use duct tape and ziploc bags.  

Hospital is implementing covid 19 protocol Mon.  Only 2 visitors allowed in building per patient.  Main entrance will be closed.  You will have to be evaluated as to whether you will be allowed in----- answer questions and have your temp checked.  

Edited by bgs

Oh, Brenda, your sis has really been through the wringer. I hope she's on the road to recovery now and all the issues can be ironed out. Hope you and all the family are getting enough rest.

I'm wake in the middle of the night again with a stuffed up nose and headache--love allergy season. Your post sure puts that into oerspective.

Brenda, speaking as a retired ICU nurse, it sounds like your sis is making really good progress considering all that she has gone through.  You and your niece must be exhausted though.
Hospitals here have already instituted COVID 19 precautions. One visitor per patient is all that is allowed. (Two for children and exceptions made for patients who are dying, at least for now.)

We had planned to go on vacation for the next few weeks.  In fact, we had planned to leave yesterday, but in light of the current recommendations to stay put at home, we cancelled. Hopefully we will get some of our money back, but either way, we feel we made the right decision for us.

staying put at home is relatively easy for us. Dh works from home and I like it here. Plus, I have enough yarn and fabric to last me at least ten years.  Our son, daughter and son in law will all start working from home tomorrow. Dd says that by the end of the week, she will be seeing patients via virtual visits. (Needs education first.) Only a couple of providers will be in the office to see emergent patients, and I would assume that there are still patients who are unable to use technology.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gardener said:

Brenda, speaking as a retired ICU nurse, it sounds like your sis is making really good progress considering all that she has gone through.  You and your niece must be exhausted though.
Hospitals here have already instituted COVID 19 precautions. One visitor per patient is all that is allowed. (Two for children and exceptions made for patients who are dying, at least for now.)

We had planned to go on vacation for the next few weeks.  In fact, we had planned to leave yesterday, but in light of the current recommendations to stay put at home, we cancelled. Hopefully we will get some of our money back, but either way, we feel we made the right decision for us.

staying put at home is relatively easy for us. Dh works from home and I like it here. Plus, I have enough yarn and fabric to last me at least ten years.  Our son, daughter and son in law will all start working from home tomorrow. Dd says that by the end of the week, she will be seeing patients via virtual visits. (Needs education first.) Only a couple of providers will be in the office to see emergent patients, and I would assume that there are still patients who are unable to use technology.  

This afternoon just as niece got to door of hospital they implemented no visitors except for a few cases like end of life, and children.  If she would have known she would have spent day with her mom and not gone to work.  I had to leave the hospital.  

Bad thing is we have not been terribly happy with her care on this unit.  For example two people about 15 minutes apart said they would tell her nurse her iv antibiotic was finished infusing.  Then we hit the button and were told she would be in.  Had to hit button again 20 minutes later to tell them it now said air in line.  Nurse still didnt show.  When she did come in she said no one ever notified her and even went back thru her texts.  They had trouble with her picc line and nurse gave her the option of not getting the antibiotic.  As it is her white count has been going up and she has been sporadically running a slight fever.  They put in an iv for the antibiotic and took picc line out.  Today infectious disease dr said he wants to send her home with a picc line to give herself iv antibiotics.  I hate we cant get in to learn about it and worry because the other one quit working after a few days.   We are ok with handling the ostomy, catheter, jp drain and all the dressings.   At this point both are adamant about not having a home health nurse either.  Sis does not want to deal with someone else and their schedule and niece said hospital doesnt want us in there because of covid 19 she doesnt want some random person that goes from house to house bringing it to her mom.  In fact she wants to know who to talk to to get her mom out.  I would like her out too because we have been taking care of working on not letting that knee replacement freeze up and keeping it positioned properly.  They do not.  I stayed with her so she could sit in the shower chair and take a couple of leisurely showers.  She went from Sun until Sat with out any sort of bathing.  They drew more blood cultures today and are concerned about abscesses forming.  Might do another ct scan tomorrow depending on results. Sis has been very pleasant with staff in spite of how miserable she gets so it feels a bit like she gets neglected.  They have not been good about getting her pain meds to her on time which pretty well makes for a bad day because it takes all day to catch up.  We have back slid a bit on mobility.  Totally frustrated as no one has come in to talk about getting proper paperwork codes for insurance as far as supplies when she goes home.  If they are so concerned about her having home health it has to be pre approved but they came in to give her a sheet showing where she was as far as meeting her deductible and payment.  Told her their little printout wasnt accurate because it did not reflect charges coming through for knee replacement.  And yes I am so very tired.  

Brenda, that is so much to deal with! I pray that y'all find some good resolutions to all the issues.

26 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Brenda, that is so much to deal with! I pray that y'all find some good resolutions to all the issues.

I think sis may qualify for one of the exceptions:

"When patient requires assistance to move through the hospital"

She is not allowed up without staff being in there.  The alarm is set on bed or chair to go off if she gets up.  They have to put a gate belt on her, she has to have a walker and she doesnt make it very far.

I pointed this out to my niece and she is going to call tomorrow.  Meanwhile I could use a rest.  

Hope everyone is able to stay home and is well!

Brenda, hope you're getting some rest.

I'll be running to the Dollar General store when it opens at eight to pick up a few groceries. Older DS is coming Saturday and a few of his friends are going to the hunting camp for the day. I'm making a pot of soup for them. Just getting some chips and cookies for that and a few other things.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have all the tax info ready to take to the accountant. The roofers are finally supposed to be coming as soon as the weather permits. I feel like I'm finally getting a few things off my plate. Just hope they don't get replaced with something else. LOL

Lots of things are blooming in the yard but I haven't had a chance to enjoy them. Allergies and a sinus infection have kept me inside. DH has postponed his PT and my dentist apt got cancelled so we don't have anywhere to have to go until chemo Tuesday. I bought a strap so he can do some of the stretches. Now I just have to nag him into doing them.

Be safe, everyone!

• Like 1