judianne

Our House (Part Three)

On 1/31/2020 at 8:12 AM, segi1974 said:

They are beautiful hats and they will be going to happy babies.  I still have the box of balls of yarn.  Life got in the way and I never mailed it to you.  If you still want the balls please IM me with your address and since it is on my mind I will gladly send it to you.

I sent you an IM...Thanks!

Here's a 30 inch blanket for the NICU inspired by a pattern from the Patchwork heart. I had some neutrals I was gifted and used them here.

20200210_131737.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty! You did a great job of blending the different colors.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:00 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Pretty! You did a great job of blending the different colors.

Thanks, Mona! Blending different colors is often trial and error for me, since i never plan beyond the next row🤣

We've again gone from raining--over 5" this week--to cold. No sun yet, hopefully tomorrow and a couple more days before it's warmer and raining again. I have to put on boots to do anything in the yard. Ready for everything to dry out!

I finished the second baby blanket for the shower Saturday. Hats are my nemesis! I started making the baby size of a multi-size pattern. Using fine #2 yarn instead of the dk the pattern called for. F hook like the pattern said. Somehow it ended up with a circumference of between toddler and child. How is than even possible??!! Ripped it out. Found a pattern I think I've used before--I'll try it if I have time tonight or tomorrow.

Still waiting on the house insurance. Got them the last of the info they wanted last night and they say they're working on it. AFLAC messed up another claim, so I've got to get everything together to mail in an appeal. Not sure what their problem is--this is two out of the last three. There are a dozen things I need to be working on but I just can't seem to get motivated. I may have the grands for a while this evening so I'm telling myself I'm conserving my energy for that. Yeah, right!

Just got back to the computer and found I hadn't posted this. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Mona it was a cold day here too.  Warmed up to 13°.  Yesterday it was hovering at 32° and snowed all day.  In a couple of days they are saying it will be 60°.  Sorry for the insurance mess----so frustrating.  I relate to the hat thing.  I dont like making hats because it seems like I always have to adjust them.

Hi, peeps! 

Mona, I always shied away from making hats - then realized I hadn't;t been following the directions properly. The size of the yarn and hook plus our own tension make a huge  difference in the size of the finished product.

I'll be giving a batch of baby hats and the GS blanket to the NICU. Also added some green hats for St.Patrick's Day.

My next baby ghan is for the christening blanket project. I'm using the Hydrangea pattern from Attic24, a first time for me. Once I finish this, I'll work on a colorful baby blanket - It's a reward to myself for using white to make an entire blanket.🤣

Judy I have an exceptionally difficult time with the really small hats for NICU.  I  made some once for a fellow 'viller's charity project.  I prefer making hats on the knifty knitter looms but you have to use chunky yarn or two strands.  I really should just learn to knit.  Looking forward to your ghans as I need some motivation.  Guess you are looking forward to start of baseball season as is my dh.  Always hopeful this time of year and Royals have new owner and manager so we will see if they do something about getting some good pitchers.

It did make it to 60° yesterday but its cold today.  Darn if they arent blabbering about snow again----Thurs.  It was so good not having any appointments, classes, etc scheduled today.  Just go over for lunch and then back over this evening for supper and live music.  We spent afternoon breaking up with aol (dial-up service as it was due to renew early March).  We think that is the last moving related thing needing to be done----until something comes up we didnt think of comes along.  I went to the pool Sat and Sun afternoon and am feeling it.  Hope to get a routine going there.

Brenda, I envy you the swimming. The weather's been too yucky for walking and I'm so out of shape anyway. I really need something to blow the cobwebs out of my head.

Judy, I think I tend to be on the loose side of tension, so that doesn't help. I haven't tried the hydrangea pattern but it looks pretty simple. I'm anxious to start on the dahlia, but I really need to get a couple of other things done first.

This was an up and down insurance day. AFLAC paid the appeal and we have another claim in the review stage so hopefully it's the one I called them about. Then the house insurance adjuster called today and said they were about to mail us a check for $1000. The estimate from the roofing co. is over $9000. So a lot of negotiating is in our future. We asked for a detailed list of how much they are paying for what. I think we need to call our local agent tomorrow and get his advice. Our glazed terracotta/ceramic roof tiles evidently just don't fit into the computer program this guy is using.

Now that I have whined sufficiently, I think I'm off to have a little hook time.

• Like 1

Mona I love the pool at the aqua center.  If I actually lived in the apartments that the pool is in I would for sure be in it every day. Long ago I used to go the pool at a fitness center daily and kickboard /just keep moving for an hour.  I love being in the water so its not exercise. Its fun. I loathe gym equipment and exercises like squats.  Hope you get that $1000 negotiated up a whole lot more.

I love aqua exercise.  We sadly get to the pool in the next town about once a week.  I'd love for it to be more but the evening and weekend hours are highly competitive with all the local swim teams.

Have you ever tried water running?  There are lots of great toning exercises for the water too if you want to branch out beyond swimming.  We are fortunate to have a deep water dive well that is also used for exercise.  It is wonderful for running and other types of exercise.  They don't allow lap swimming in the dive well it is just for exercise when not in use by the dive teams or scuba.

You can do water running in any pool and many of the other exercises as well.  I suspect there are videos online if you decide you are interested.

1 hour ago, Bailey4 said:

I love aqua exercise.  We sadly get to the pool in the next town about once a week.  I'd love for it to be more but the evening and weekend hours are highly competitive with all the local swim teams.

Have you ever tried water running?  There are lots of great toning exercises for the water too if you want to branch out beyond swimming.  We are fortunate to have a deep water dive well that is also used for exercise.  It is wonderful for running and other types of exercise.  They don't allow lap swimming in the dive well it is just for exercise when not in use by the dive teams or scuba.

You can do water running in any pool and many of the other exercises as well.  I suspect there are videos online if you decide you are interested.

Chris when I married and moved out in country it just killed me to no longer be able to go to the pool.  It was very detrimental to my health and mental well being.  I swim a few laps, walk, etc but mostly spend my hour holding my board and kicking to propel myself back and forth.  Not as easy as it looks.  I find it very cathartic and its working those big leg muscles.  I could sign up for water aerobics but so far I just watch and then incorporate some of it into what I do.  My goal is to just stay in motion for at least an hour.  Way back when I could walk 6 miles, bike 12 but the pool was where I was happy.  I got addicted to it and pretty much went every day it was open.

We have a pool but there aren't any indoor pools close. My DIL goes to a swim group on a college campus but it's an hour and a half round trip. So I'll just have to wait til it gets warmer.

I never was a water person and I'm not really a swimmer. I can move thru the water but it's not proper swimming. A lot of the time I sit on a noodle and move my legs like I'm riding a bike or just back and forth. There are some water exercises I do part of the time too. I really miss the pool time in the winter.

Mona I had a membership to a gym with a beautiful Olympic sized pool.  Got married and moved out to rural area where most everything was an hour away. I do the bicycle one too.

Ironically, they built the pool that DH and I use now just after I moved out of my parent's house.  It is housed in a now closed elementary school that I walked to when I attended school there.  The school was only 2 streets from my house.  I was so frustrated when I found out they waited until I moved to install the pool.  All those years!!!  They've installed a pool and a Senior Center but the place still looks remarkably like the elementary school I attended let's not talk about how many years ago.  The gym/cafeteria room still looks much like it did back then.  It is almost scary.  The Senior Center was an addition so that area is new but they still use the small elementary school space for various purposes.

Last night we realized the benefit of school vacation.  The dive team came early and they added warm water after they left right before we arrived to the dive well.  After coming in out of very cold air it was such a treat to climb into warm water.  Of course getting out not so much.

Chris I can relate to the irony of your story.    I loved the water as a kid.  Looked forward to parents vacation time each year as would be only time I would get to go swimming.(I still remember the summer we did not get to go swimming because youngest sister had an ear infection.)  It was in spring fed Ozark creeks so water was always cool.  When I got older we had a membership to the local outdoor pool for a few seasons but it was not close enough to walk to and neither were the YM/YWCAs.  Years later they built a Y just a couple of blocks away from the house where I grew up and just around the corner from the next house I lived at.  

When I grew up we used to take a bus to Concord to Walden Pond made famous by Thoreau for swim lessons as there was no local pool/public pond for Red Cross swim lessons.  It would have been so awesome to walk just two streets up to a pool year round.  I think it's great to see the local kids getting swim lessons, swim team, dive teams, etc.  It is just a shame it took so long to get built.

Edited by Bailey4

Hi peeps! 

Interesting hearing about the people here who like swimming. Growing up in NYC I never learned how until I had our son in private lessons and took advantage, learning from the same teacher. I'm drown proof now...lol! I can do a mean dog paddle too🤣 DS finished his lessons and was so good the instructor asked if he wanted to go further and be a life guard when he got older. Not for him....he spent every summer doing cannon balls off the high dive at the swim club🙄

Brenda, yes, we have been waiting for the baseball season to start....but already the injuries are popping up with the Yankees! And never mind the Astros getting away with bloody murder, cheating for 2 years - and the 3rd year is probable too. So angry about the lack of punishment...

Anywho....

And yes, the Hydrangea pattern is super easy. I love the Dahlia pattern too, but will wait till I start another ghan with a nice range of colors.

Hi ladies. Sorry I’ve been away. Still dealing with family drama here, and I’m trying to cut back my online time.  I’ve decided to distance myself a bit from bil and his issues.  Dh is upset and worried about him, so I think it’s better if I am a bit neutral for lack of a better word.  I like my bil, but I don’t feel the need to sort out all his problems like my hubby and his siblings do.  Sometimes you have to take the consequences of your choices. 

Well, now I want to go swimming.  We had a pool growing up and our neighbors had an indoor pool, (they also had a private airfield), so we could swim all year. Once I could drive, my folks bought a Y membership too.  When our kids were home, we had a pool, but once they moved out dh decided he didn’t want to take care of it any more.  

Nothing much to report here.  No finishes to report either.  

Good morning, everyone! Enjoying a few minutes of quiet.

Cindy, that sounds like a good attitude about the whole situation. I seriously need to cut back on my kindle time. I spend way to much time playing assorted games that can be relaxing but it's really just wasting time.

Yesterday was DH's chemo and I got to see my best friend's new granddaughter. Kept the grands while DIL went swimming last night.  DH has his first Physical therapy apt today so we get to have Chinese for lunch. Hoping to improve his mobility and balance. Dentist for both of us tomorrow and window company coming to give an estimate. New insurance adjuster coming Friday along with our local insurance guy. Taxes to work on whenever there's time.

Today is taking us back into some nice weather. A little cooler, but four days of sun!

Hope you have a good day! 

On 2/9/2017 at 12:54 PM, Skysmom said:

Hi House :)

Joanne ~ I totally agree about snow days!  Enjoy your crafting and reading. :flake

Judy ~ Beautiful pictures!  Have the children been out yet?  I don't see any big paw prints in the snow. Lol 

Marlene ~ Our friends just got back from Port Aransas and said the weather was gorgeous most of the time.  I hope you all are having a wonderful February so far!

Cindy ~ I bet you're right in the midst of a cooking marathon. ;)

I just finished a baby 'ghan and am getting ready to start another. :)  (I definitely have plenty of yarn now!)

post-10699-0-75879100-1486662767_thumb.jpg

Very pretty blanket Love the pattern

• Like 1

Just dropping by to say hi.  Not really crocheting much lately.....although I really should finish the afghan that was part of DDs Christmas present.  I have been reading quite a bit though.

The sun has finally come out for the past few days, so maybe I will feel a bit more motivated.  

hope you are all doing well.

• Like 1

It was a busy week, but we made some progress. I'm optimistic about the visit from the new insurance adjuster. He's supposed to call us Tuesday. Hit one snag, but overall making progress on the adoption. No progress on the taxes--seriously have to work on that this week. We got the high pressure sales pitch, price is only good for now, from the window people. We've shelved that until the insurance issue is settled and those repairs are done. DS and some friends coming for the weekend on the 21st, so I have to at least minimally straighten up/clean.

Got in a little crochet time. Making progress on the Country Pathways afghan, trying to make notes on a couple of issues I ran into with the pattern. No chemo this week, just the two shorter (hour round trip) PT apts. Rain is coming back starting tonight. Sure did enjoy those 4 days of sun.

Hope everyone has a good week!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bgs said:

Did I somehow miss an announcement here about this?  I got an email from a designer that participated in the past alerting me.  

https://crochetville.com/category/natcromo-blog-tour/

I haven't seen anything. I always enjoyed seeing the different designers work.