Big Texas flag pattern!

Jennifer Joss

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Why is it important that the star be part of the pattern, instead of as an applique?  I hate to be a downer, but slopes within a pattern are really hard.  I've been thinking about an 8-pt. star afghan ever since I tried doing it with mini-granny squares.  I made several that were 1/2 one color and 1/2 another color for the slopes.  Then I didn't like the joins.  So, I set about trying to find out how to do a color change slope and studied Laurinda Reddig's "Reversible Color Crochet."  I've yet to figure out how to do the proper slopes for the star.  I'm pretty sure that is why the patterns that are out there for the Texas flag have the star as an applique.

Here is one for purchase.  I wouldn't have thought of Tunisian Crochet to do this, Tunisian color changes are on my list of things to try sometime.  

I agree with Redrosesdz that color change angles are a pain in regular crochet, and especially for 5 sided stars because the angles don't play nice with 4 sided square grids like SC, (a 6 or 8 sided star would look better, would still be jagged looking but more consistently so than a 5 sided star) but this doesn't look bad at all.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lone-star-baby

Archived