Help. Can't understand the direction at end of row.

Question

Hi. I only have started crocheting a few months ago and have made several different blankets so far, but the last part of the row for the one I'm working on now ( just confusing me. The blanket is marked as easy so I think I'm just misunderstanding the abbreviation or something simple.

Since It's a paid pattern, I can only show a small part of it, but I think it should be enough for any experience crocheter to get the picture. 

With blue, ch 12.

Row 1 (Wrong side): DC in sixth ch from hook, skip next 2 chs, (dc, ch 4, dc) in next ch, skip next 2 chs, (dc, ch 2, dc) in last ch: 5 DC and 3 sps.

Row 2: Ch 5 (counts as first dc plus ch 2, now and throughout), turn; dc in next ch-2 sp, (4 dc ch1, 4 dc) in next ch-4 sp, (dc, ch 2, dc) in last space: 12 dc and 3 sps.

The bold parts are the parts I do not understand. If I did (dc, ch 2, dc) in the last chain of row 1, where do I do the 5 DC? In the last chain as well? And what's with the 'and 3 sps.'? Is that a chain 3? skip 3 spaces? 3 single crochet? 

I already got the yarn for this blanket, so any help would be great. :)

-Lisa

2 answers to this question

The bold parts are telling you that when you complete row 1 you should have 5 dc and 3 spaces. When you finish row 2 you should have 12 dc and 3 spaces. Its basically a tally of what you should have when you finish a row. The spaces are formed when you do a chain(s) between the dc

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1