Crochet Groups

trisha367

Question

Hi,

I live in southern IL and been looking for some crochet groups that meet and share tips and friendship etc.

I like to start one if none around here.  I searched online some meet groups want you to pay a monthly or yearly fee to create your group.  I am thinking of starting an Facebook Crochet Meeting group.  

Love to have your suggestions, thoughts and etc.

Thank you very much,   :waving

Trisha

4 answers to this question

Hi Welcome to Crochetville!

Check with yarn shops in your area.  Local yarn shops know the most about groups, but sometimes big box stores have information, too.  Other places to check are libraries, book stores, coffee shops and senior centers.  You can also post on community bulletin boards that you're looking to start a group.

Hi Trisha!  Welcome to the ville!

I started a local group about 8 or so yrs ago and happy to say we are still meeting!  At first there were only 2-3 of us but now a total of about 15, usually 6-8  are there for any one date.  We meet weekly.  

There is a thread here for seeking local crocheters and i will try to link that for you.  My post there did lead to one new member, after several years!   As it turned out, I had better luck finding interested people in my area on Ravelry.   If people include their general location in their profile there, you can look them up, and I sent brief messages to a few people to ask if they'd be interested, and that resulted in our 3 founding members :-)  

One thing we have done, and honestly I recommend this but realize you may have different goals, is to make the group for other fiberarts as well as crochet.  As it turns out , crochet is what the majority do, but lots of us do more than one thing such as knitting, cross stitch, quilting....  We all work with "string" in some respect and have things in common like color combining, storing the yarn/fabric "stash", how to fix mistakes etc.  Some really interesting conversations get going!  We do have one rule: no discussing politics or religion.  

I don't think I was even on Facebook when our group started (still have kind of a love/hate relationship with fb lol)  so I can't comment on using that to start an in-person group.  I agree with Sharon that checking your local library, community center, etc, is a good idea.  I heartily agree with you on the fee sites for meet ups, I really did not want to pay an ongoing fee to try to contact people.

Archived