Newbie In Need

Willow1486

Question

I was recently asked to finish a project that my husband's grandmother was working on when she passed away. We have figured out the pattern she was using for the body of the piece, but I am at a complete loss as to how to add the border. The attached picture is an example of her standard technique and my hope is that someone here can tell me how she did it. I have never added a finishing trim to any of my own work, so I need advice/instructions on how and where to even start!

post-79208-0-61640100-1485660744_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Crocheting an edge is not much different than crocheting rows.  The difference is that when you get to the end of the row, you keep going around the corner, instead of finishing the row.  There are tips to crocheting along the edge to make them even.  Also, when you get to a corner, you need a few more stitches -- 3 for sc, 5 for dc.  If your edge pulls, then you have too few stitches.  If it ripples, you have too many.

Here's a nice tutorial...

http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-finish-technique-crochet-evenly-around/

Having said that, it looks like your husband's grandmother did 2 sc in each chain space and 3 sc in the  corners.  You can start anywhere, but I recommend starting at the top, right corner (if you're right-handed).  That way the first edge will be just like doing a row.  Attach the yarn to the corner, chain 1 and make an sc in the same corner.  When you get to the starting corner, make another sc in that corner and slip stitch to the beginning chain 1.  The slip stitch counts as a stitch and it will look like there are 3 sc stitches in that corner.

Thank you so much! Can't wait to get home from work and give it a try :)

if you look at the stitch, in the orientation you along the stripes are horizontal to the floor. there appear to be 3 spaces   in the row per stitch, and in a space they did a three stitches together. also note in the color row they used only two of the  3spaces.

Archived