Need help with vintage pattern wording

StayLoopy95

Question

So I'm working on the back piece of a UK vintage dress pattern and am at the point where I shape the armholes but can't understand what I'm supposed to do. It's a straight piece with 80 stitches and it says

Slip stitch across 6 tr, 3 ch = 1 tr, work to last 5 tr, turn

(Can't figure out if I'm supposed to repeat the slip stitches at the end)

Slip stitch across next 3 stitches, 3 ch = 1 tr, work at last 2 stitches, turn (2 stitches decreased at end of each row)

Can someone put this in US terms that will make sense to me? Thanks!

5 answers to this question

You're decreasing at both ends.  To decrease at the beginning of the row, you need to slip stitch to skip over stitches so that the yarn can get to where you need to work.  At the end of the row, you just leave the last stitches alone, because the yarn is where it needs to be already.

The 3 ch = 1 tr, just means that the turning chain counts as a stitch.  So, at the end of the row, you'll leave 5 stitches and the previous row's turning chain unworked.  That makes it even with slip stitching across the 6 stitches at the beginning.

Note: The other way to decrease is to do 2 or more stitches together.  However, when you need to skip a lot of stitches, the above method for decreasing works.

Exactly, and that's an easy way to tell if a pattern is UK or US.  If it says chain 1, DC, or chain 3, TR, it's probably UK.  Conversely it's also a way to help translate it (either way) in your head, do the stitch that matches the "chain up" number.

If a pattern says SC, it's US, no ambiguity.

Chain and slip stitch are the same in both, the UK system just ditches the term SC and 'promotes' the other US stitch names by 1.

The UK sort of makes more sense, if you count the yarn overs you use to make the stitch.

Archived