Need gauge help

Wayfairers

Question

I am starting this pattern: http://www.lionbrand.com/gulf-coast-top-l60150.html and want to check my gauge but I don't understand the directions.

5 pattern reps + 11 1/2 rows = about 4 inches in Trellis pattern. Note: one pattern rep consists of a ch-so and the following sc

20sc = about 4 inch

I don't understand the "5 pattern reps + 11 1/2 rows".

I'm assuming that is the height of 4 inches and 20 sc = about 4 inches is the width...is that right?

5 answers to this question

Yes.  When you repeat the pattern 5 times across for 11.5 rows, it should be 4" by 4".

However, when you're doing a gauge, do more than what it says, because outside edges are unreliable for measuring.  Make a swatch at least 7 patterns wide and 13-15 rows high.  Then measure the middle 5 patterns across.  It should be about 4".  Measure the middle 11.5 rows.  It should be about 4".

Thank you for the quick response! You are always so helpful. Now I think I understand....their use of the word pattern was throwing me....so a pattern is one of the trellis shapes? So the 4x4 gauge check would 5 trellis patterns across and 11 1/2 rows high?

I will make my gauge check square larger than 4x4 as you suggest

Archived