Downton Abby yarn from Premier

Momma G

I am wanting to crochet a full bed blanket. My daughter likes a tighter stitch but I worry about that making it terribly heavy. I'm thinking a 4 or 5 sized yarn. I am able to get the Downton Abby Branson Yarn for $2.99 a skein. I'm wondering if anyone has used this yarn on a larger project or any project for that matter. What were your thoughts on it?

Welcome to Crochetville!  I haven't tried it, but I have a suggestion. 

First, figure out what size you are making.  If you're not sure, try clicking here.

Next, figure out what kind of stitch you want to use. 

Buy 1 skein of the yarn that you're thinking of using.

Make a swatch that's at least 6-12" square (it doesn't have to be exact). 

Then weigh it.  A kitchen or postal scale works the best.  (If you don't have one, take it to a kitchen store, like bed, bath & beyond.)

From the size and the weight, you can figure out how heavy it would be and how much yarn it would take.

It'll also let you know how much you like the yarn and what the best hook size would be.

Full blanket size is 84x90", which is the size of four 42"x45" crib or lap sized blankets.  That yarn is size 5, and is 153 yards per skein.  Even at that price, which is less than half of Joann's after a quick look, is going to take a lot of skeins.

I found a (really cool looking!) pattern using that same yarn, 1 blanket is 36"x46" and uses 12 skeins.  Now, this pattern has post stitches so is a bit more of a yarn-hog, but to make 4 of these slightly smaller blankets you'd need 48 skeins, times $2.99, or $144.  I'm not sure if the slightly smaller dimension of the blanket makes up for the yarn-hogginess of the pattern, but I'm thinking you may need slightly more skeins rather than less.

https://www.premieryarns.com/products/downton-abbey-mrs-hughes-afghan-free-download

I did this just because I saw how small the skeins were, and knew it would take a lot of skeins to make a full sized blanket.  

I never knew the true size of a blanket. Thanks so much for your help. I guess when I've always made blankets I've used the chunky yarns because the dk weight would take forever and be heavy. We have a beautiful king sized blanket that was a wedding gift for us but we can't breathe with it on the bed because it's so heavy. That's what I want to avoid. It seems the chunky weights go so much faster. I don't know the name of the stitch. It it's chain x amount then row two is sc and half dc in the same stitch, skip one and repeat this. In the following rows, the stitchs will go in the obvious gaps. I'm obviously not really a pattern reader. This was a design I learned from a YouTube video for an "easy crochet blanket". It turned out very nice and I did the same stitch with Bernat Blanket and Deborah Norville Serenity. Chunky.

I guess I'll be buying a LOT of yarn

Archived