blog newbie

Chasity Hamilton

I am in the process of making a crochet blog. I already know what platform I am going to use. I know I want to post patterns I create, and possibly sell some of the patterns through the blog. What I am wondering is what are some other things I can post about and should I make my first post an introduction post? I have never blogged before and don't much about blogging especially making crochet the main topic of choice. I need all the advise i can get. thanks.

An intro post is a good start. Crochet is a wide enough topic that you can write about quite a bit. If you want to keep your blog active you are likely not going to have enough pattern posts to keep you going so write about what interests you and you will draw others to keep reading.

Does the platform you're using offer any tutorials or training courses on best practices for starting a blog? If so, check them out. If not, check out some blogging books in your local bookstore. If your local library has some books published within the past year or two, check them out. But things have changed so much, that much of the information in books written even 5 years ago may now be outdated. You can also find a lot of information online, but be sure you're looking at reputable sites and not just the ones out there that want to separate you from a ton of your money.

There are lots of things you'll need to know, some of them legal. For example, if you use affiliate links in a post, you have to make that very clear in the post. Advertising must be clearly identifiable as advertising. If you post reviews, you have to issue disclaimers if you received the product(s) for free.

If you're going to sell patterns, you need to check into your local laws about whether you need to have a business license, how to collect and remit sales tax,

You also need to investigate copyright law and how that relates to any photos you might want to use on your blog. Good tip: Use primarily photos you take yourself and ask for permission before using anyone else's photo.

You'll also want to think about how you're going to get word out to people that your blog exists. You need an audience! Active forum members are welcome to start a thread here in the Crochet Blogs section and add a new message with a link whenever you publish a new post.

Archived