Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

I downloaded the pattern Darski, but I am wondering if this is in European terminology or are these really triple crochets?

Yes they are Triples.  it gives a good length and a nice bump to the 'petals'.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Donna said:

@darski, you asked if this is the finished version. What needs working on? Thank you!!

It just seems a bit less sophisticated than our old system but then some prefer that.

I haven't been able to check yet today but all my attachments for my patterns (images and PDF's) are not available... will that eventually work out?

I'm not sure how this system works but we will find out I guess... this is awful :(  I can't label my "Choc it to me Baby" stroller blankie - it's down there : we need a barf emoticon.

My Marigold lapghan:merigold2.thumb.jpg.5d20f1a0477c463d1bee46d392b17377.jpg

merigold1.thumb.jpg.83c3a3d44cc0629d8d569519a1e70450.jpg

choc it002.jpg

choc it003.jpg

Wow, things are definitely different. I have some pictures to post tomorrow, so I will know better how I feel about it after that.  Was there any notice that the forum was going to be down? I thought maybe the site got hacked.

Anyway, Darski, I can see that you make excellent use of the down time. And I sure hope you were looking for the barf emoticon for the problem you were having and not your blanket!!  I really like the black and yellow flowers. That one is your pattern, isn't it? After I downloaded your patten last week, my crocheting came to a stop due to work and sick foster kittens, so I still need to try it out. The Choc it to Me blanket reminds me of fudgesicles. They were much more expensive that Popsicles, so we only got them as a treat! 

yes, my concern was with the new photo format. 

I'm working on a hat to go with my 'Ice Cream Cones' blanket. I wonder if I could make a square with Fudgesicles with that same method.  I used Krochet Krystal's daisy charity square.  the Ice cream cones don't quite work as I thought they might.  I should have used lots of different flavours of Ice Cream but I didn't have enough different 'ice cream-y' yarns

When the forum went down I contacted Amy on Facebook and she said they did something for the blog server and it crashed the forum server so it was a surprise.  I guess they decided to use that to change stuff.  They have now restored all my pics and PDF's for my patterns but it's a good thing I don't have any more patterns as this new system is a challenge.

Darski, I have used Krochet Krystal's daisy pettern before and I love the results, but the pattern is always a struggle for me. Now that you have dropped the ice cream cone hint, I do see ice cream instead of fudgesicles. Where are those two blankets going?

Here are hats 21 and 22. They are both done on the knitting machine. There have been some good sales on yarn and a few good coupons too, so I thought it was a good time to stock up and get some hats in the bin for the veterans. They are not slouchy, the head is very small. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'll try to answer again... my comp crashed when I tried.

I don't want to quote your post as the pics are again displayed at full size.  I soooo love your hats and the red one is just dreamy :manyheart

Ok Darski, I tried your pattern. Had a little trouble with the instructions on round 3, but I think I got it. You can see that in the top right corner, I messed up and have the next round between 4 and 2 stitches instead of 3 and 3 on each side.  But I'm not taking it out.  Can you believe I had to search and search for green yarn?  I like the one I found its not too bright. (Ha, kind of like me).

image.jpeg

Well, nope. I don't see where you can have text, then a picture and then more text. No control over the photo insertion at all. I wonder if there is a place in the forum for suggestions for improvements?

And by the way, the red variegated yarn in the hat is a very inexspensive house brand (Craft Smart) from Micheals. It feels horrible until you wash it...but after washing it is very soft. Limited color selection, but when I have a 40% off coupon a skein is about $1.60. The Petsmart where I volunteer on Fridays is right next to a Micheals, so after a long day of work and an evening of volunteering, I usually pop over with my weekly coupon and buy one skein. (Or more...) 

Your colours look good together.  I have a thinkg for purple and green.

I think it takes a while to get used to my method of doing corners but it does work and makes a strong corner.

On 5/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, darski said:

It just seems a bit less sophisticated than our old system but then some prefer that.

I haven't been able to check yet today but all my attachments for my patterns (images and PDF's) are not available... will that eventually work out?

Darski, to find all your attachments, just go up to the top of any page, click the triangle by your name, and under the Content section you'll find My Attachments. Every image or document you've ever  uploaded to the forum will be there. You can select options to filter so you just see the pdf files.

On 5/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, darski said:

Darski, what do you mean by "less sophisticated?" I think the new software has a much cleaner, less cluttered look to it. You mentioned below about something related to photos. Are you wanting to see the photos displayed at a smaller size, and then have to click on them to see them larger? They are being displayed as smaller than their actual size, but I agree the current size is pretty big.

Some people like seeing the photos very large right in threads, others like seeing a much smaller image and having to click to enlarge. Donna and I are still discussing the optimal display size for photos. We'd love to hear suggestions from all of you. If you don't know the pixel size to recommend, just give an approximation like: half the width of the screen when I have my browser window fully open on my laptop. Any kind of description will help us.

As far as I can tell, no functionality was removed in the software upgrade. Things may work a little differently, but we can still do most, if not all, of what we did before.

On 5/20/2017 at 9:24 AM, darski said:

I'm not sure how this system works but we will find out I guess... this is awful :(  I can't label my "Choc it to me Baby" stroller blankie - it's down there : we need a barf emoticon.

On 5/21/2017 at 2:04 PM, darski said:

When the forum went down I contacted Amy on Facebook and she said they did something for the blog server and it crashed the forum server so it was a surprise.  I guess they decided to use that to change stuff.  They have now restored all my pics and PDF's for my patterns but it's a good thing I don't have any more patterns as this new system is a challenge.

Barf emoticon. Wow. That's a pretty strong statement, and  I'm not really sure how to take that. We really are doing the best we can to get things running smoothly around here.

I'm a bit concerned that your statement of us deciding to use the forum crash to change stuff makes it sound like we made changes just for the heck of it. I want to reassure everyone that was not the case. The board software we were using had reached its end-of-life: the manufacturer was no longer going to be supporting it. That means the cyber-bad-guys could create ways to hack site using old software, and the manufacturer wouldn't be creating any patches to prevent it from happening. That happens a lot with this type of software, browsers included: old versions will only be supported for so long.

We've known for awhile that we would need to upgrade the forum software sometime in the next couple of months. We thought we would have time to install the new software in our test forum so we could familiarize ourselves with how it works as it's a major change from version 3.X.X to version 4.X.X. Unfortunately, the unexpected forum crash took that opportunity away. So now we're all learning how everything works together. It isn't helping that the new forum back-end default settings are sometimes quite different from old defaults, so we've been doing a lot of tweaking behind the scenes to keep things working correctly.

We didn't do anything to restore the pics and PDFs. The forum software may have moved them to a new location, and they may have been inaccessible for a short time as background processes are running. The background processes to update all database records are continuing to run, so we may continue to have some short-term issues with things not working right or not being in the right place yet, until all these background processes are complete. The forum database is so huge, that no one knows how long this is going to take.

23 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Hmm, I don't see any options for inserting the pictures exactly where you want them. It seems to dump them at the end of the post. What am I missing?

You can still do this, but it's just slightly different than before. Add all your photos in to your post. Scroll back up in your post and place your cursor where you want a particular photo. Then scroll back down to the photos and click the "+" button on the one you want to insert. It's the same process, but now there's just a + to click and not the tab that said "insert photo." (Or whatever it actually said. I always amaze myself at how quickly I forget exactly what something used to look like!)

22 hours ago, darski said:

I don't want to quote your post as the pics are again displayed at full size.  I soooo love your hats and the red one is just dreamy :manyheart

You can go ahead and use the quote feature and just delete out any photos or text you don't want to appear in the quote. Same as usual.

14 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Well, nope. I don't see where you can have text, then a picture and then more text. No control over the photo insertion at all. I wonder if there is a place in the forum for suggestions for improvements?

If you have any problems, suggestions, questions, or comments related to the software upgrade, please post a message over in the Board Help section. I've created a thread over there to keep track of reported issues and how they were resolved.

Again, Donna and I appreciate everyone's patience as we work through any upgrade-related issues together. I hope we can all be a team here and support and encourage each other until 1) we get any problems worked out and 2) we're all used to the new way things work.

There are some really good things associated with moving the forum off of our old server and into the software company's "Community in the Cloud." All the trouble some people had with the server software thinking they were up to something hinky and blacklisting their IP address for no valid reason should stop. I'll personally be very glad to see an end to that particular recurring problem!

Amy and Donna--Please don't take all of our comments wrongly.  I, too, am struggling with the new look--but I think we're all pretty much "Creatures of Habit", and have difficulty getting used to change!  We'll get used to it!  Thanks for all your work, worry and helpfulness!

@Avon Lady Collette and everyone, feel free to grumble all you like about the frustrations of having to adapt to a totally unexpected change. Donna and I are just as frustrated as many of you are. You don't want to hear the griping Donna and I did with each other about this change being forced upon us with no opportunity to prepare ourselves and everyone here. The air was blue, I tell you! :) We truly don't mind comments about general frustration, I promise.

A few comments have been hard not to take personally, so it's important to us that everyone really does understand we didn't undertake these changes maliciously or just willy-nilly with no sound reasoning behind the decision.

The problem could not have come at a worse time, actually. It happened when I'm preparing for a major local event on June 10, planning to move Crochetville into a new actual brick-and-mortar studio location on June 1, going on vacation May 12-19, and getting ready to teach and vend at a fiber festival this coming weekend, all while Donna was dealing with a fungal infection in her eye last week and dealing with end of school year stuff as PTA president. But I have a few days before the fiber festival and Donna's eye is getting better, so hopefully this week will be a bit easier for responding to problems and figuring out solutions!

Amy, thanks for letting me know about photo insertion. Of course I have posted everything for this week, so I will have to take a look the next time I actually finish something.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:06 AM, Amy said:

The problem could not have come at a worse time, actually. It happened when I'm preparing for a major local event on June 10, planning to move Crochetville into a new actual brick-and-mortar studio location on June 1, going on vacation May 12-19, and getting ready to teach and vend at a fiber festival this coming weekend, all while Donna was dealing with a fungal infection in her eye last week and dealing with end of school year stuff as PTA president. But I have a few days before the fiber festival and Donna's eye is getting better, so hopefully this week will be a bit easier for responding to problems and figuring out solutions!

Amy, my mother said, very often: "It never rains, but what it pours!"  That's the way you're feeling right now, I think!  Just take a very deep breath--it WILL get better!!;)

This is my new baby set:  the basic square is "Summer Romance" but I thought it made a good basis for a baby blanket

the blanket is 31" - a tad small for a blankie but that is the size it became.

sr01.thumb.jpg.2e7caf7da5f75533c5f9842cc2904b99.jpg

the square: sr02.thumb.jpg.c515d536968550f07d9320149cf6e03c.jpg

I love this sweater set - it starts with Moogly's Baby in Bloom sweater yoke

sr03.jpg.9b1aa15fdc8ebd7df8d079bd87f4e268.jpg

Wow Darski, that is really beautiful. Is that another one of your patterns? I can't keep up trying all of these fun things. I feel so happy that I got to do a test block and you've already made another gorgeous set! 

I think that 31" is fine. Sometimes a small blanket is nice. The stroller, the car seat, or church. What kind of yarn did you use? It looks like a christening set. 

Archived