Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

Hi everyone,

Forgot to post my hat last week, so I will try to get a picture before the Super Bowl starts tomorrow.

I also finished that C2C project so that is done and I have all but about 3 yards of that skein of yarn to use up now. I think I can make a hat out of it. It's not really enough for a scarf. Or maybe I should try baby booties. Hmm...

Hope you are all well and your hooks are on the move!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

need to know... is this a cupcake hat or just  a hat with a really strange red knob on top :?

:think

:eek

post-4896-0-89253200-1486325940_thumb.jpg

I'm not happy with how the chocko/Cherry yarn plays out.  I think it needed about another inch of each colour before changing.

It looks like a cupcake to me. As soon as I saw the picture in the feed, I thought "Darski did a novelty hat!" I recognized it right away.

In fact, you've made me hungry for sweets!

thank you.  I love cupcake hats but I won't ever use that yarn again.  :rofl

Well Darski, you live and learn. Sometimes yarns look great in your head but not in the project. Lol

Here is hat #5 that I should have posted last week. I had 60 rows done on the Addi since before Christmas and just never finished it. This is made with a "new" Caron color that came out last fall.

post-13802-0-20905800-1486335280_thumb.jpeg

Well Darski, you live and learn. Sometimes yarns look great in your head but not in the project. Lol

Here is hat #5 that I should have posted last week. I had 60 rows done on the Addi since before Christmas and just never finished it. This is made with a "new" Caron color that came out last fall.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice hat. I like the soft colors in this variegated yarn a lot.

So, here is hat #6. This is a RHSS color called Neon Stripes. I follow a guy on You Tube and I saw this yarn on his video. Couldn't find it at Joanns or Michaels, only Walmart had it. There were only two skeins left, so I bought them both. I tried crocheting with it, but the black was pooling (and not in a fun way) so I tried it on the Addi. It took just about the whole skein. I might make headbands with the other skein.

Panda wanted to be in the picture and it was easier to let him than try to shoo him off the table...

post-13802-0-87924400-1486873118_thumb.jpeg

Cindy...a bit different than last week's soft colors, huh?

Hat #7....a cluster stitch. I messed up the brim somehow and there are too many stitches, it makes the brim a bit wavy until you get it on your head and then it looks normal, so I'm not going to try to take it off and re-do it.

post-13802-0-61319400-1487483138_thumb.jpeg

hat # 6 is really nice,glad it worked up better for you on the Addi

haven't got near the hook and yarn enough to say I've made a charity item,but my hands are telling me,I need to start back on it soon,they are cramping up on me.I still have the birds nests,haven't made the trip out that way,if I can find time to get to the post office think I'll just mal them and be done.I have alot of scrap yarn think this year I will focus on multi color scarves

Thanks Cshort!

Linda, do your hands cramp up from crocheting or do the cramp up when you don't crochet? And is that pain from your fall when you hurt them or is this something else? (I mean if that's not too nosey)

Maybe scarves will be easier on your hands than those bird nests that have to be so tight.

So, here is hat #6. This is a RHSS color called Neon Stripes. I follow a guy on You Tube and I saw this yarn on his video. Couldn't find it at Joanns or Michaels, only Walmart had it. There were only two skeins left, so I bought them both. I tried crocheting with it, but the black was pooling (and not in a fun way) so I tried it on the Addi. It took just about the whole skein. I might make headbands with the other skein.

Panda wanted to be in the picture and it was easier to let him than try to shoo him off the table...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Cindy...a bit different than last week's soft colors, huh?

I love this hat. 

I have some of that and it is pooling badly - by my way of thinking.  It ended up with all the black in the back of the hat.  I'm doing a ripple with it as the accompanying blankie and the pooling again is not so great.  It is probably designed for use by knitters as your hat looks good - your work and the colourway.

I'm actually sorry I bought this but others don't seem to mind the way the colours play out.  I'll finish the set... really, really soon :blush

oh sorry I wasn't clear,its when I don't crochet thats when they hurt,no its not really from the fall,thats all good,can hardly believe thats been three yrs ago,this is a muscle thing from a B12 defiency that went un diagnosed for years

It's a boy!!!

I finally got this guy from Walmart... with a lot of help from my friends

My Life as a Boy

I'm trying to find his matching cousin but he is not available in the stores in Canada yet.

I'm finding it a challenge to design clothes for him but I have a hat and sweater started.

I actually saw the boy doll on the news the other night. Glad you found one!! His little hat is cute. It's kind of what I imagined for the prostate cancer hat! And a hat is a hat! Check that one off for the day.

I agree that the neon yarn must have been made for knitting. I didn't try a blanket or anything. Maybe something with a longer "return" would work out better. I am anxious to see your project.

Linda, I actually have heard of the B12 problem before. I am B and severely D deficient. (Going to the doc tomorrow in fact). Hard to imagine someone in sunny Arizona not getting enough Vitamin D, but I really hate the sun.

The Addi can be a fussy machine. When it hates a yarn, it will reject it big time. Funny because it will hate one RHSS color but work like an angel with another. Variagated yarns always seem thinner than solid colors, so they usually work well. Caron pounders choke the machine but the Caron Jumbos that are variagated work well. So weird. And what works on mine sometimes doesn't work for other people. The darn things have personalities!

I forgot to take a photo, but I made 22 blankets and 22 toys for a special adoption event our shelter had on Friday. Guess how many cats were adopted? Yup, 22! So they all got to go home with a blanket and toy!

The Neon Set.  I have started a sweater and I'm thinking of adding some white flowers to the hat.

post-4896-0-71439900-1487701480_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-24659600-1487701482_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-78464200-1487701483_thumb.jpg

I think it does work overall.  I'm still not crazy about how the colouration works but is does provoke a feeling so all is good to go. I think the fact that every other colour is black makes it so dominant.

The sweater is going to be all white with possibly a flower or two.

Well Darski, I have to say that I liked the way the blanket turned out! There is something striking about the way the colors pool.

And I see that you had the same problem with the hat that I did. But it goes so well with the blanket!!

It sure is an eye catching post. Where did you find the yarn?

Have you started designing boy clothes for the new doll? I know you have a whole catalog of girl outfits. Maybe it will be fun to think outside the norm for doll clothes.

I am working on a hat from the Red Heart website. There was a picture on the neon yarn but the pattern wasn't on the back of the band like usual. It just said to go to the website and search for the pattern and it gave a pattern number. I never could read the fine print on the back of the ball bands, but hey, that's pretty cheap.

I have started a sweater for Tommy that is to be a Patriot's jersey.  I'm hoping to find some camo yarn so I can work on a hunting outfit; I already have the boots to go with it. :rofl

I'll have to go looking for that hat.  got a lot of the yarn left over.

Darski, I like that pattern, but I never have luck with the larksfoot because I crochet too tight and can't loosen up that drop stitch.

Are you still working on the Cannucks ghan? Or has your new "boyfriend" been too distracting?

I used this Red Heart pattern:

post-13802-0-20481600-1488070851_thumb.jpeg

To make hat #8

post-13802-0-04419100-1488070866_thumb.jpeg

The problem is that the hat circumference is only 60 stitches instead of 72 like you see very commonly.

It fits me very tight, so I'd like to make it bigger, but I am not too clever at figuring out "the math" of repeats. But I sure do like the look of this hat. My brim has a few more rows, again, because of my tight tension.

If you start with 13 stitches instead of 12 you should have enough stitches at the end... Or you can work one more increase row.

I'll give it a test drive and see which works.

I plan to get back to my Canuck ghan this week.  I hit the point where I have to make bitty bits and then stitch them together so I keep saying ' oh right, I'll get back to you.  I like doing squares or motifs but plain dc bits just don't entice me. :rofl

I still haven't finished Tommy's sweater yet; been too busy with hats. :eek

Archived